Can ANYTHING fit in the 2002 Suburban center third row seat?

BogFlower

I am going nuts trying to replace the vehicle and seats we lost in a crash. I know what I'd like to have if money was no object, but it is and so I am freaking out trying to "make do" with what we can afford. We've purchased a 2002 Suburban but I'm not sure if we'll keep it. I can't seem to get carseats in it tight at all. Well, my husband and I, together, putting all our muscle and weight into it, got a Marathon installed well RF in the passenger captains seat. So there's one at least... for now...

What have people had success with in the center third row position? Because since it has no headrest and no shoulder belt, I need to keep my tall torsoed 2yo harnessed there as long as possible to make this vehicle work for us because I need to fill the other positions with boosters and preteens and such who need shoulder belts. So a seat with a high shoulder strap height and weight limit is a must. But frankly, I'll take anything right now because nothing I currently own works there (Nautilus and Marathon). If you've successfully gotten either a Nautilus or Marathon installed in that position, I'd love to hear how. But I can buy a new seat too - the insurance is paying for new seats. But what is going to be compatible? I hear the Radian isn't compatible with that seat - is that right? What about the Frontier? Prosport? Something else?

ADS

creideamh

My aunt and uncle have a 2001 (don't know how that compares to a 2002, they have the bench in the 2nd row not captain's chairs...) and I've gotten a Nautilus in the 3rd row center position fairly easily. I don't think any other seats would fit next to it for 3 across (except for Bubblebums... and maybe Literiders), but the non-boostered, skinny 11 & 14 y/os can sit on either side just fine.

ETA- we have a Maestro for him as well and that fits in both rows' center positions, too. And it's narrower than the Nauti.

BogFlower

I didn't know it was okay to twist the buckle stem - I'll try that with my Nautilus and I'm going to BRU today so I'll also try that with a Radian when I test out seats there.

glockchick

Radian FFing, Nautilus, Frontier 85, Marathon, Boulevard....

Those are the ones I've tried. I'm sure others fit there as well. It does require twisting the buckle.

BogFlower

For the record, Radian requires 100% contact with the seat, so a Radian should NOT be FF in the third center position with no headrest. The seat isn't tall enough and the Radian sticks up above the top of the seatback which according to Radian (who we called and spoke with to confirm) that's a big no-no for them. Britax is okay with not having 100% so it looks like maybe a Frontier 85 will work for us.

canadiangie

For the record, Radian requires 100% contact with the seat, so a Radian should NOT be FF in the third center position with no headrest. The seat isn't tall enough and the Radian sticks up above the top of the seatback which according to Radian (who we called and spoke with to confirm) that's a big no-no for them. Britax is okay with not having 100% so it looks like maybe a Frontier 85 will work for us.

That's the first I've heard of this.

BogFlower

Also if anyone was wondering, for future reference, the Clek Foonf will NOT in any way shape or form fit back there with the buckles as they are, even with twisting.

canadiangie

Also if anyone was wondering, for future reference, the Clek Foonf will NOT in any way shape or form fit back there with the buckles as they are, even with twisting.

Why is that? My first thought is that a high beltpath would make things easier. Tell us what you experienced.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC