Help.. Monterey headrest replacement.

Baylor

I searched.. nothing it coming up that I need. I received my new headrest today for the Monterey. I can not for the life of me figure out how to get the old one out?!

THanks!

ADS

scariestone

In the box mine came in there was an envelope with instructions. Have someone help you if possible. You put the headrest all the way up then put a ruler or similar thin, rigid item in the small gap where the headrest goes in and slide it down about 3 inches. Then put downward pressure on the ruler while pushing the button you use to adjust the headrest and pull up on the headrest at the same time. See why extra hands come in handy? ;) It took some jiggling for me to get it out but it wasn't too bad. I found it harder to get the new one in. Especially putting the headrest cover back on. Oy. I had to use tweezers to do it. Good luck!

tam_shops

If that doesn't do it, email them for the instructions. Something about screws rings a bell for me. I didn't do mine, just read the instructions b/c my seat crashed, then the new back arrived. So, I passed it along to a friend w/ the same problem.

tam

Phineasmama

I used a kitchen spatula. You have to shove it down in the front slightly to the left of center when the head rest is in the highest position and then it pops right off

scariestone

I just jiggled it while holding the release lever(the one you normally use to adjust the height of the headrest). Cursing helps too. ;)

Kellyplouffe

I know this is an old thread, but I used a spatula and the headrest came right out. My question is, do I just throw the other headrest away? There were no instructions in the box from Diono and I just want to be sure. What a difference the new belt guides make!

Mamasboys

I used a hanger slipped it down the front once Monterey was in highest setting.

I used a kitchen spatula. You have to shove it down in the front slightly to the left of center when the head rest is in the highest position and then it pops right off

Bumping for others to see (I did NOT get instructions in the box). Thanks to Baylor and Phineasmama for their detailed advice. I used the "shoulder" of a coated hanger (to prevent scratching). Make sure to depress the height adjuster and gently pull up at the same time.

Here's a pic of the *new* gray belt guide (and my improvised tool). I think I'll like this more than the lower *open* red guides I've seen. It looks like we'll get at least 1/2" more room over that style. :love:

(Never mind my DS3--this is his big brother's seat ;))

Attachments

• 2013-03-18 11.10.50.jpg
    2013-03-18 11.10.50.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 17

Mamasboys

I know this is an old thread, but I used a spatula and the headrest came right out. My question is, do I just throw the other headrest away? There were no instructions in the box from Diono and I just want to be sure. What a difference the new belt guides make!

Diono didn't ask for my old one back, so I'll keep it for spare parts. If anything, there's good extra EPS foam in case of breakage, I figure.

M

Mothergoose

Following are the instructions received directly from Diono
To remove headrest:
Extend the head rest up to its top position
Use a plastic ruler and position it slightly off-center to the left (looking at the seat from the front) of the head rest neck.
Insert the ruler downward about 3
With one hand keep some downward pressure on the ruler and with the other hand pull the red lever (in the back of the head rest) and headrest upward as if you are trying to raise the head rest further - as you do this, the ruler will allow the head rest to slide past the internal stop and it will come out of the back rest.

To insert / replace the head rest back into the seatback:
While pulling upward on the red lever in the head rest, insert the head rest back into the back rest.
Note: the red lever must be pulled upward in order to insert the bottom of the head rest back into the back rest.

I followed this to the letter and it took me less than a minute to make the change.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC