How do you like YOUR Radians?

love-pink

Winged or without?? Do your kids have preference? Do kids really last longer in the non winged models??

We definitely want another for DHs truck but I just can't decide if I should just get the R100 or RXT.

Pictures always welcome so please post!

ADS

amyd

I only have winged Radians, but I've never felt like I wished they were wingless. Both my kids sit outboard so I like the extra something by their heads.

laurengt

I have only winged as well and I also have never wished they were wingless and like the added protection by his head. At not quote 3 years (about 39-40") he is getting awfully close to the wings and we plan to move him to something else (probably Frontier) in the spring. My friend has only wingless and her kids lasted a lot longer in the Radians that my son is.

soph's mom

I bought a wingless one bc my daughter is very tall. I wanted the maximum height potential out of the seat and I'm hoping to make it to 3 in this seat and them decide whether to buy a taller seat or ff her.

jordansmom

We have a wingless and I will only use it rearfacing. Once my guys outgrow it (not until 4 or even 5 yrs old) they will go into a FR85. If I needed the Radian as a RF and FFing seat, I would have bought one with wings.

VoodooChile

We've only had wings (XT and RXT), use(d) them both rf and ff. Ds has been in seats without wings before (MA, ETA), and seats with smaller ones, more like a headrest (FR80), and doesn't complain about the wings (and he would if they bothered him). He's currently ff in the RXT in the second-from-the-top slots, but will have to move to the top slots with his next growth spurt, I'm sure. He'll probably booster around kindergarten, so 5.5ish, so I imagine based on his growth patterns he'll fit fine for as long as I need him to.

agave

I've had both but I really only use them RF so it doesn't really matter. I much prefer the color selection on the winged seats.

jnamommy

We only have wingless and it has never bothered me. We had a CA for a while, and my dd hated the wings. I would assume that if we had had winged seats, and that was what she was used to, it would not have been an issue.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I have had a Sunshine Kids Radian 80SL (no headwings) and a Diono Radian RXT (with headwings). I prefer the one with headwings for the extra SIP- even though there is not a standard, I still feel like it probably helps. :)

HappyHoo

I have older versions.

I prefer the Radian65 without wings b/c the harness is easier to adjust than my XTSL (with headwings). However, the 45 lb RF limit on the XTSL is what is allowing my 3 yo to still be RF in at least one car.

But I'm also finding with the wings and the angle adjuster, it's cramped trying to get my DS into his seat (he's not complaining - just not as much room when I'm trying to grab him when he's resisting getting into his seat b/c he doesn't want to be restrained - not b/c he doesn't want to be RF).

Also the wings keep sliding down a bit and affect the harness sometimes - I can catch it when it does though b/c it makes the straps seem uneven and it's an easy fix.

In terms of outgrowing it FF - I really hope to never use my XTSL FF b/c of how difficult it is to tighten the harness. Even if I did, I have several seats with higher harness height and I'm not that comfortable using the Radian with my kids shoulders over the top harness slot - so they both last about the same length of time FF for me.

NVMBR02

I have had both winged and wingless and used both for kids of various ages, I don't have a strong preference, I do prefer the wings for an outboard forward facing child.

I know some people will say the wingless is better for an older child since they can use it with their shoulders over the top slots without the wings getting in the way. We have never had to use one that long though, by that point all of my kids have been booster ready. My kids also didn't have head slump in any of the Radians.

Phineasmama

I like them with wings, I'm just a paranoid freak and I have to have SIP :rolleyes:

Also I won't use them above the top slots so that doesn't really matter to me. By the time my kids get that big they're either in a Frontier or a HBB anyways.

featherhead

I have had an R65 and an XT. I prefer without the wings. They are annoying. They get in the way and slide down. They are most annoying when the seat is forward facing using the top slots. It is very hard to keep them above the slots.

soph's mom

The low sides just aren't enough for me to be comfortable to know I'm doing all I can to protect my child from incursion in a side impact collision. Personal preference.

The radian has the steel bars and pretty beefy plastic compared to a lot of seats on the market. I know there's no research as to whether hard or more pliable plastic is safer but what do you use outboard?

(edit: I'm not being confrontational... I seriously am curious)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC