Re: infant seat- Am I being ridiculous? (tell me, I can take it)

amyd

So baby #3 is on the way (and it's a girl:love:). I have a 2008 DOM Safeseat that I acquired brand new in 2011 (Graco sent it as a replacement for a 2007 Safeseat that I already owned). I used it for DS2. But the base is the original 2007 model. So, base expires Dec 31, 2013; seat expires Dec 31, 2014.

Baby is due April 2013 and ideally, I'd keep her in the bucket through her first winter so until March or April of 2014. Except, my base expires Dec 31, 2013. So I'm thinking I'd just rather get a whole new seat, rather than pay $70 or whatever it is for a new base to use for 3 months and then I'm stuck with a base I can sell and a seat I can't (seat's not 2012 compliant, plus will only have 9 months of life left on it by the time I'm done with it). Or, I could try to borrow a base from a friend for a few months...this might be possible. Or, I could move baby into a convertible when the base expires...right before the freezing cold weather hits:thumbsdown: None of these options sound all that appealing to me, honestly.

But here's my biggest hang up and the part I fear I may be being ridiculous about...the seat is not compliant. DH thinks I'm nuts and that I just want to buy another car seat, but honestly, I'm concerned about this. I know that the Snugride 35 was modified to comply with the 2012 standards. My other kids are riding in compliant seats. I'm a dweeb. Someone knock some sense into me (or even better, tell me I'm not just a crazy hormonal pregnant woman for being concerned about this).

ADS

tiggercat

This might not help but, can you use a post2012 base with a pre-2012 seat? Were all changes to the seat or did anything change in the base?

Personally, I would probably buy a new seat. I know non-compliant seats are "safe" but the new standards were designed to increase safety, right? So I'd prefer to have my kids in seats that meet the most up to date standards possible.
ETA, after saying that, my daughter rides in a non-compliant turbo, but I don't think anything changed on those.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

MorgieBear'sMama

If you need the convenience of a base I would buy a new seat. If you can take an extra 10 seconds to buckle the seat I would continue to use the seat after the base expires until babe is ready for a convertible seat.

amyd

This might not help but, can you use a post2012 base with a pre-2012 seat? Were all changes to the seat or did anything change in the base?

That is a very good question...I don't know.

Phineasmama

Ok I'm not Canadian or international, sorry :p

But I honestly think it's much different putting a 6+ month old into a convertible than a newborn into a convertible. I found using a convertible with a newborn to be extremely awkward, and yet I always switched my kids to a convertible at around 6 months once they got heavier and I didn't want to carry the bucket anymore. So I'd probably just use the old infant seat and put that money towards a really awesome convertible :D

bubbaray

I wouldn't buy a new infant seat. My kids hated the bucket and we moved DD1@4m and DD2@2m. So I'd move the new baby long before the following winter. If it is that cold there, buy an auto starter for your car.

amyd

Ok I'm not Canadian or international, sorry :p

But I honestly think it's much different putting a 6+ month old into a convertible than a newborn into a convertible. I found using a convertible with a newborn to be extremely awkward, and yet I always switched my kids to a convertible at around 6 months once they got heavier and I didn't want to carry the bucket anymore. So I'd probably just use the old infant seat and put that money towards a really awesome convertible :D

It's not fit I'm concerned about, it's the weather. I can't move a baby to a convertible in the middle of the winter (insert shivering smilie here:p) Well, not really *can't*, just feel strongly that it's not a great idea for where I live. And with a 2 year old as well, I'd really like to just be able to pop it into the stroller when I have to run in somewhere so everyone is safely contained.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

If you want a new seat I say get a new seat.

I'm an enabler like that. ;)

amelia222

I get a new infant seat. With the winter weather how it is in NB an infant seat is definitely more of a need than a want. I'm hesitant too about using a non-compliant snugride. They passed the old testing and are safe, but knowing that they had to change the shell makes me slightly uneasy.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor

The SR35 DID change structurally - there are bolsters at the front corners, plus the handle has to be up. Can the handle be up on the Safe Seat? I don't recall, I think probably yes.

I'd buy a new seat. One you like, knowing all that you know about car seats. One that you can sell once you're done with it and recoup some of the money.

I have often wondered about non-compliant seat with compliant base and vice versa, but I've never followed up on it. I will right now as there's something else I need to ask Graco, and I'll get back to you!

In and out of places quickly with a two year old is exactly why I wanted a bucket through the winter with my youngest. After that no problem in an infant/child seat but I really, really hated taking her out for the two minutes it took to run into somewhere. In the wind and cold in Ottawa. Ugh.

amyd

Yes, the handle could be left up with the Safeseat. I always left it up with DS2 because of the new regs. Thanks for checking into the base thing. I hadn't even thought about that until Natalie brought it up.

tam_shops

I wouldn't buy a new infant seat.

I'd use the one I had until the base expired. Then, I'd evaluate things then.

I'd try using it with out the base. I'd see if a close friend had a base I could borrow. Or, I'd see if a friend had a compliant one I could borrow.

If all that failed and I still wanted one, depending on how big baby was, then maybe I'd buy one. Infant seats are uses for such a short time, I hate spending big amounts of money on them when it'd be better served on something else.

If there is nothing else baby needs, then I'd ask for one as a baby gift from work, saying yours expires and go from there...

tam

featherhead

I'd use the seat you have until expiry and then get a convertible. Dd1 was born at the end of June and was really small, but I switched her to a convertible in January when she was 7 months. I'm in Manitoba so it definitely gets cold here! Dd2 was born in April and she also mostly rode in a convertible when winter got here.

canadiangie

The compliance factor doesn't sway me whatsoever. I would not get a new seat because of that. I would leave the handle up (and did with all of my infant seats) and try to remember that I don't drive a test bench, even though admittedly the test bench for 12 compliance was updated to more closely mirror real vehicles. The bolsters that Graco needed to add are rebound reducers, but I'm not so sure they're an actual anti-rebound feature in the same sense of say the bar that's on the Chaperone base, for example. I'm pretty sure there's a spectrum when it comes to rebound (of course not exceeding what is permitted), made even more complicated by varied vehicles, seatback angle, and of course the type of crash. Correctly used and installed your baby is safer than more than 80% of other babies out there riding in misused seats. Rear facing is so protective in a crash, I'm not willing lose sleep over a factor like rebound -- especially when your current seat does allow for some rebound management. I am using non-compliant seats with my own kids (baby used my SS1 right up until she outgrew it, which was also one month before it expired), and my other girls ride in a whole host of seats; a few of them non-compliant. Honestly, we (us folks on c/s.org) who restrain our kids correctly each and every trip are leaps and bounds ahead of most. I'd save my pennies for Foonf, or something equally as cool and exciting. I'd re-evaluate things once you are forced to. Babies sometimes have other plans for us anyways.... my little sweet potato screamed her head off in her freshly bought KF, and I ended up switching her in January, at 4 months old.

Just my 02 cents.

Mommy090804

I am not a tech, but I agree with several of the previous posters. I think you should use the one you have, then re-evaluate things as you get closer to the base expiry date. If you don't think you will be using an infant seat again (ie. no more kids), then I would hesitate to spend the $ on an infant seat.

The convertible seat is used for so much longer, and if you spend money on a brand new infant seat, then you may be hesitant to purchase exactly what you want when it comes to choosing a convertible. Honestly, I don't remember much about the infant seat that we used - it was so long ago, but we still have several of the convertibles.

Congrats! It is quite normal for pregnant women to agonize over planning and purchases!

finn

I say (as the person whose baby stayed in her infant seat until she was 16 months old, through 2 winters) I would buy a new seat. I had a baby and a 4 year old & loved the convenience of the bucket & stroller, it was good for pre-school & then school pick-ups & super easy to switch between cars. I almost felt like crying when she grew out of it lol

smackeen

I would lean towards a new seat.

1. You want to use seat/base through next winter.
2. Unsure if new bases are compatible with older seats.
3. Able to resell after finished.

Or,

1. Use existing seat baseless.

Is this something you and DH would do for 4+mo? (If new bases not compatible with older seats.)

Would your DH use the seat baseless?

amyd

No, DH wouldn't use the seat baseless but he won't be using it anyway really. There's no room for anymore seats in his car. I could but I'd rather not. I like to use UAS in my captain's chairs so I can slide the the seats forward to access the third row a bit easier. Maybe I'll see if anyone I know has an older SS base I could borrow.

I have an unresolved stroller issue as well, which is complicating things in my mind too:rolleyes: I hate my indecisive pregnant brain.

amyd

Okay, ladies, I have officially lost my mind. I just remembered that I GAVE THE SEAT AWAY!! I wasn't planning to get pregnant again before the seat was expired and I had a friend who really couldn't afford a new seat.

So, I guess the decision is now which seat to buy:p. I'd also welcome advise on how to break the news to DH that I don't have the Safeseat anymore...ooops!

Chila88

:ROTFLMAO:

You're hilarious! I'm with you on using a bucket through winter though. I bought a SR35 for our new baby in the hope that maybe, just maybe he'll still fit all through next winter too. It's just SO much easier in the cold, and with other kids. I kept DD2 in her SS until 14mos and was still sad to pull her out!

Happy seat shopping!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC