Want to upgrade to convertible seat that allows RFing up to 35 lbs; have Subaru Legacy -what seat to choose?

Rosie29

Hi,
Someone from another board referred me here. My DS is 28.5 lbs and is RF in a Graco Comfort Sport. He is 39 months old. I'd like to keep him RF up to 35, and so I need a new seat in order to do that. As long as I'm upgrading, I want something that he can later FF in up to a higher weight as well (more than the 40 lbs the Graco CS allows). He has long legs and sometimes complains about being uncomfortable on long trips. I know that safety-wise, it's OK if his legs are crossed or bent, but I'd like to find a seat that has as much leg room as possible, for his comfort.

Finally, our vehicle is a Subaru Legacy, 2001. If you can recommend a seat that fits well in this car, I'd really appreciate it!! Thanks! :love:

ADS

mom2riley

The Evenflo Triumph Advance RFs to 35 lbs and FF until 50lbs. I have seen it IRL and it is pretty wide, very padded and both DS and DD seemed very comfy in it.

crunchierthanthou

We have a MA rf in a 2001 Outback. The front seat is kind of cramped and it only goes to 33 lbs rf. Have you seen the new Recaros? 35 lb rf and 70 ff with 19" top harness slots.

Rosie29

Thanks for the suggestions. Someone had suggested the Evenflo Triumph Deluxe, which I understand is a new seat and can be hard to find. But it sounds like the Advance has the same weight limits, so it would be a good choice for us if I can't find the Deluxe. Anyone know if there are any difference between the two in terms of features?

Crunchierthanthou, yes, I really had my eye on the Recaros all summer but I don't know that I want to wait; I'd like to switch him asap since he's getting close to the weight limits and who knows if the seats really will come out when they say they will (I think they've already delayed it once).

Thanks all! More suggestions are certainly welcome! :D

Rosie29

We have a MA rf in a 2001 Outback. The front seat is kind of cramped and it only goes to 33 lbs rf. Have you seen the new Recaros? 35 lb rf and 70 ff with 19" top harness slots.

What is a MA? Marathon something? Thanks - I'm new to the board so some of the abbreviations are foreign to me!

skaterbabs

:whistle:
Hey guys, I suggested Rosie pop in. What she wants is the RF seat with a 35 lb weight limit that will allow her DS the most legroom in their Subaru. Since I'm not all that familiar with Subarus I told her to pop in here.

Thanks for the suggestions. Someone had suggested the Evenflo Triumph Deluxe, which I understand is a new seat and can be hard to find. But it sounds like the Advance has the same weight limits, so it would be a good choice for us if I can't find the Deluxe. Anyone know if there are any difference between the two in terms of features?

Crunchierthanthou, yes, I really had my eye on the Recaros all summer but I don't know that I want to wait; I'd like to switch him asap since he's getting close to the weight limits and who knows if the seats really will come out when they say they will (I think they've already delayed it once).

Thanks all! More suggestions are certainly welcome! :D

Rosie. I too have the evenflo advance DLX. I just purchased this seat for my 2.5 yr old to replace the older triumph he had that was involved in an accident a few weeks back. I have to say i hightly recommend this seat. My son loves his. (he is FFing BTW, but he is very comfy in it. )

Anyway, from what i saw, there is no difference between the regular advance and the DLX, other than the DLX has leather in some places on the seat, and cost $10 more. We honestly bought the DLX cause it matches our dodge durango's apolstery colors (yea were vain! LOL) They all come with the cup holder, they all RF till 35lbs and FF to 50 lbs, they all have EPP foam in them, They all only tether in the FFng position, the only difference you will see is seat cover colors and the added leather parts. Also, do you have a toys r us or a baby's r us near by?? I bought mine at Toys r us and they had both the DLX and the regular in stock. and Baby's r us says they do too. HTH

Beth

arly1983

Healthychecksystems.com has the sand and midnight desert Como in stock with free shipping...

Though I have seen the Triumph Advanced IRL and it looks like an awesome seat.

crunchierthanthou

:whistle:
Hey guys, I suggested Rosie pop in. What she wants is the RF seat with a 35 lb weight limit that will allow her DS the most legroom in their Subaru. Since I'm not all that familiar with Subarus I told her to pop in here.

I don't know that there's a solution to that. Rf 3yos are almost always going to be short on legroom. A rf seat tall enough for a 3yo is going to greatly reduce the passenger legroom in a Subaru Legacy.

The Comos look nice and deep and rf to 35 lbs. My guess is they would have the most potential legroom for her ds, but I haven't seen measurements. I know a few people have them already and they're starting to show up in-stock.

crunchierthanthou

Rosie. I too have the evenflo advance DLX. I just purchased this seat for my 2.5 yr old to replace the older triumph he had that was involved in an accident a few weeks back. I have to say i hightly recommend this seat. My son loves his. (he is FFing BTW, but he is very comfy in it. )

Anyway, from what i saw, there is no difference between the regular advance and the DLX, other than the DLX has leather in some places on the seat, and cost $10 more. We honestly bought the DLX cause it matches our dodge durango's apolstery colors (yea were vain! LOL) They all come with the cup holder, they all RF till 35lbs and FF to 50 lbs, they all have EPP foam in them, They all only tether in the FFng position, the only difference you will see is seat cover colors and the added leather parts. Also, do you have a toys r us or a baby's r us near by?? I bought mine at Toys r us and they had both the DLX and the regular in stock. and Baby's r us says they do too. HTH

Beth

Does the DLX have the alligator style latch clips? I know they're not on all models.

Rosie29

Healthychecksystems.com has the sand and midnight desert Como in stock with free shipping...

Though I have seen the Triumph Advanced IRL and it looks like an awesome seat.

I'm going to look at our TRU today for the TA. Arly, could you double-check that web address for me? It takes me to a calorie counting website! :confused: I googled it too but still couldn't find the correct address. Thanks!

Rosie29

Aaack! I went to our TRU, and they had all three models. I put DS in the deluxe and his head is very close to within an inch of the top! So this seat is not going to work for us!! Bummer! And it was such a lovely seat that I wanted to sit in it myself! ;)

Maybe we are just all done RFing. :( (Please, no flames for saying this, I'm still open to ideas but just frustrated. Anything else we can try? Keep in mind he is 39 mos., I guess I should just be glad we've made it to this age RFing, right? :confused:)

crunchierthanthou

Aaack! I went to our TRU, and they had all three models. I put DS in the deluxe and his head is very close to within an inch of the top! So this seat is not going to work for us!! Bummer! And it was such a lovely seat that I wanted to sit in it myself! ;)

Maybe we are just all done RFing. :( (Please, no flames for saying this, I'm still open to ideas but just frustrated. Anything else we can try? Keep in mind he is 39 mos., I guess I should just be glad we've made it to this age RFing, right? :confused:)

dang! I think it's an understandable solution to turn him around. I'd still try a Recaro Como or Signo before you give up your search. Like I mentioned before, they rf to 35 lbs and ff to 70.

Rosie29

Arly, thanks for the link. I'll check into it. Crunchier, yeah, but I can't find Recaro locally.
And the website won't let me return a car seat with an opened box, will they? (Geez, I guess I could check that myself.) Thanks for your quick replies.

Rosie29

OK, next question! :whistle:
How does a Graco Comfort Sport rate, safety-wise? I have pretty much decided to use this same seat and turn it FFing, unless there are other seats out there that are safer. For example, are there others with better side impact protection? I see that many members of this board have a Britax. Are they safer, particularly for FFing? Or are they popular more for comfort and style preference? Thank you!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Are you SURE you saw the Triumph Advance? I don't think TRU has them yet, they are *considerably* taller than the other Triumphs, and considerably taller than the seat he's in now (I'd love to see a picture of him in the Comfortsport, it's such a teeny little seat most people can't keep their kids in it RF to 2, FF to 3, much less RF to three!)
It's (the ComfortSport) perfectly safe, just really really short in the slots, so use it as long as you can/want to, but that's just not very long for most people :)

cryswilkins

Are you SURE you saw the Triumph Advance? I don't think TRU has them yet, they are *considerably* taller than the other Triumphs, and considerably taller than the seat he's in now (I'd love to see a picture of him in the Comfortsport, it's such a teeny little seat most people can't keep their kids in it RF to 2, FF to 3, much less RF to three!)
It's (the ComfortSport) perfectly safe, just really really short in the slots, so use it as long as you can/want to, but that's just not very long for most people :)
:yeahthat:

My daughter is super tall at 9 months and has about an inch and a half in the older Triumph, but tons of growing room in the Triumph Advance. She is in a Comfortsport at my MIL's and is going to quickly grow out of that RF.

No one has mentioned the Scenera? I know that you are looking for something that will FF for longer as well, but at only $40 to get that 35 lbs to RF it is worth it. Then you can save your pennies for a dedicated FF seat with a high weight limit. By then the Recaros should be more widely available. I am not familiar with your car, but the Scenera installs very upright and will take up less room RF.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC