Links to importance of cargo barriers?

bearwithmoi

I couldn't access the links suggested in one post about the importance of cargo barriers in a crash for SUV and wagons.

Are there any good articles you can recommend.

I feel like I'm crazy because we're looking for a new wagon or suv and practically NO car maker has crash tested barriers. The only ones I've found are Volvo and Saab. And I can't imagine having all the baby gear in the cargo area and having it be safe in the event of a crash. Are there any other cars that have barriers? Why are they not an important safety feature?

Thanks!

Sarah

ADS

chickenman

well whats wrong with a volvo or saab, most will use cargo nets or something like that to tie the stuff down with, versus a barrier, and most barriers i think are for dogs, versus protecting you from your luggage

bearwithmoi

Nothing wrong with Volvo or Saab - we're leaning towards a Volvo anyway. But it seems astounding that more people don't recognize the hazards of unrestrained cargo. And because so few car companies do anything about it, I feel like I'm crazy for making this a priority for buying a new car. We do have a large dog, though she rarely goes in the car.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Volvo says their barriers are crash tested? That's good to know. Do they give any details (speed, weight, etc)?

Do be aware that Volvo does not allow the use of a top tether when the barrier is installed. While most seats can be used without being tethered, there are a few exceptions, and of course, tethering does provide better protection when you can do it.

bearwithmoi

when I e-mailed volvo a few months ago, they said that they do allow top tether anchor use with the cargo barrier. I eliminated Subaru b/c they don't and had a long conversation with the customer service person who took note of the complaint. But I will e-mail Volvo again to make sure before I invest the money. I'll get back to you.

bearwithmoi

Just wanted to cofirm that you CAN use the top tether anchor with the cargo barrier in a Volvo. The said that there are "no mounting hooks in the rear seat backrest or in the roof."

But of course a new Volvo is more expensive than we thought, so now we're thinking of a sedan - don't know what kind yet.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC