Traveling in Mexico, car seats in taxi?

U

Unregistered

Hi! We are going to Mexico in 10 days and originally decided to rent a car but after speaking with friends who have done the same and had bad experiences with the local police, we are considering not renting a car. The issue is that we have 3 yr old twins that need some sort of portable car seat since we will most likely be taking cabs into town. (only 5-8 mins away).

There's no way I'm not going without car seats, I don't trust other drivers yet bringing their usual car seats from home would be a huge pain since we would have to carry them around town with us after the taxi drops us off. (no small seats, we got the big kind that goes up to 60lbs).

Any advice or suggestions on portable car seats? I've seen a few but not sure about quality or reliability. Thank you!!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
How heavy are they? And what seats do you have? The only ones that go to 60 pounds are the Safety 1st Gos, and they're not big. They're made for travel, in fact. Are they rear or forward facing?

In general, under 40 pounds they'll need a seat on the plane anyway to make them fit. And a lot of three year olds lack the impulse control to not play with the belt anyway.

Portable seats, other than a very few (the Ride Safer Travel Vest and Safety 1st Go are the two that come to mind) are not safe to use. Were you thinking something like the Tote N Go? [ame="http://www.amazon.com/SAFETY-Tote-22-909-Booster-Seat/dp/B0007VU4KI"]Amazon.com: SAFETY 1ST Tote 'n Go DX 22-909 Booster Car Seat: Baby[/ame] Those and others like that are not safe.

But depending on how heavy they are, they may need a seat on the plane anyway, and the RSTV and Go are not FAA approved. So it's probably just best to take the seats you have, or buy travel seats. Not necessarily "portable", but portable in the way that your convertible or combination seats are.

Wendy

gigi

I haven't been to Mexico in a few years, but based on my past experience I would not count on a local taxi to have any working seatbelts. Your best bet is probably to get 2 RSTVs and hope they are newer cabs and the seatbelts work.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC