Question Do side curtain air bags help keep kids safe?

mlohry

I usually think my side curtain air bags help keep my kids safe in my van so I don't have to buy mega head protection seats to keep them safe, but don't really know if that's true. Maybe my 10 year old is protected because he's taller, but my 3 year old being short isn't as safe. Just curious.

ADS

Brianna

Here you can see how low the airbags deploy- it's a 2005 Odyssey.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RADTAUrjF0"]2005 Honda Odyssey side test - YouTube[/ame]

Chris

An aquaintance of mine was just in a side impact collision with her two-ish yr old right at the point of impact. He looks to be in a HBB or improperly harnessed in a 5pt. (picture looks like there was a crotch buckle, but he is leaning forward with no straps on his shoulders) It is entirely possible that the picture is after the fact enough that mama let him slide his shoulders out of the top of the harness...but I suspect it probably wasn't installed right in some way. Long story short, kid only had a scratch on his face, he didn't even notice the accident or airbag deployment because he was busy with mom's phone. Insurance guy said they were lucky to walk away with only a scratch and a bump as the car was totalled! Those airbags surely had something to do with it.

bnsnyde

Me, personally, I would buy mega-head protection (given what's out there, which of course isn't perfect) no matter what. Accidents freak me out!

I am grateful for side air-bags (and regret we don't have them in one car), but I don't want to rely on that alone and not do everything possible to protect the kids. And, it doesn't seem that mega head-protection need be cost prohibitive. The My-Ride looks very deep for an older toddler, for example. I'm the crazy momma who was insistent upon lots of side-impact protection and head protection for my child in the middle row, middle seat of our van with side-curtain air-bags! :) It's possible the carseat on either side of her would jam into her anyway, so I go all out.

But also, I am always asking why the carseat makers don't jut the head protection out a lot more. Would it really be that hard? We know the forward motion of a crash will push kids out of position anyway, so why not go way overboard with head protection? But that's just me. Seems the Prosport is my favorite for our Civic without airbags.

kiloyd

Thanks for posting your question! I've wondered the same.

Did they have to show the dummy like it spurted blood on the airbag? eeww

This is why I am having a hard time moving my 8 yr old to a backless. I like her having the SIP of the headrest in her Turbobooster. I guess according to that video though, she'll be high enough to get some benefit from the airbags. I have a 2007 Odyssey

mlohry

kiloyd said:
Thanks for posting your question! I've wondered the same.

Did they have to show the dummy like it spurted blood on the airbag? eeww

This is why I am having a hard time moving my 8 yr old to a backless. I like her having the SIP of the headrest in her Turbobooster. I guess according to that video though, she'll be high enough to get some benefit from the airbags. I have a 2007 Odyssey

You're welcome. We have an 05 Ody and our boys are 8 and 10 and they ride in Amps now that they outgrew the high back Turbobooster, and I'm fine with them not in something that protects them on the sides, but they are older and taller than my DD, so I think for FF I'll stick with the head wings or put her in the middle, but for now she is RF and I'm ok not having mega head wings.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC