Looking at a new to us car

Mommypooh

So preface this by saying my kids are:
G-9 years old will be 10 in March
C-7 years old will be 8 in January
M-5 years old newly

So we are looking at a new vehicle and I was hoping to be able to use the seats we have. So we are looking at a smaller car like a civic, or a elantra, or something like that.

I will keep the big seats in my van. That leaves a Radian FF for M, and a literider for each G and C.

What do you think are the chances we can fit this combo in most small cars? This will be a back up vehicle and none of the kids will be in it a lot mostly in town rides of less than 15 min.

Am I Crazy or do I need to look at Highbacks for the older two?

ADS

o_mom

DH just got an Elantra after his Accord was totaled. My kids are almost the same ages your three (just turned 9, 7.5 and 5.5). We looked at the Civic, Corolla, Focus, and Elantra - he also drove a Sentra and maybe one other in that class.

I fit a Maestro in the center with Literiders outboard in the Focus and Elantra (the only two that made it far enough to test seats out). The Focus had boatloads of room, the Elantra was tighter but works if I buckle the boosters. A BubbleBum makes it much easier. I also did not try the Maestro outboard with boosters center/outboard, which might be easier as well. I didn't bother with my Radian since I could make the Maestro work. Mostly, we only have one or two kids in that car at at time, so three across is not a daily need.

I will say that the center seat in the Elantra has a much higher back/headrest than the Focus. DS1 (9yo ) could not actually use a backless in the center of the Focus (ears over the headrest) where he could in the Elantra with a few inches to grow. I think he will be able to use the center position until he 5-steps there.

I am actually OK with them going backless in that car. The safety features are a pretty big upgrade from the previous one and were way better than my previous van (02 Ody). They are not in there that often and not for long trips where they may be tempted to slump over.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC