RSTV- easy to use or no?

Phineasmama

DH is complaining that it's really hard to buckle DD1 in the middle backseat of our CRV. It kind of is, she's in a Harmony LBB which is the narrowest one I could really find, and you have to really fish for the buckle stalk in between the booster and the Blvd we have on the outboard side. But looking at the RSTV it looks like there are even more steps to using it, so would it take even longer to buckle her up if we got something like that instead??

I just bought two of those "Buckle Biter" things last week to see if it helps, maybe if the little alligator guy is attached to the buckle stalk she will be able to find it and buckle herself in.

ADS

creideamh

It's easy to use, but takes more time IMO. Even if you leave it at the right tightness and leave the seatbelt through the 2 guides on 1 side, you still have to have the kid wiggle her arms in, close the vest, thread the seatbelt through the other guide near the buckle stalk and buckle.
I guess it just depends how long it takes you to find the buckle in the booster.

vtbecca

I found it to be a pain. We used it for a trip to Disney World, and pretty much just used it to go to and from the park every day. I definitely don't think I would want to use it as a regular option, more as a back up or occasional kind of thing. My son also has sensory issues and it was not comfortable for him to wear. He was going through a phase where anything but polo shirts were too constricting, so the travel vest was definitely too constricting!

Becca

Phineasmama

Yeah I'm thinking it would be more work :rolleyes:

DH literally told me the other day that it took him exactly four minutes to buckle her in, I was like wtf you actually timed it? Now she doesn't ride in this vehicle very often which is why the setup is the way it is, but I agree it's annoying. I guess I will wait and see if the Buckle Biter helps, or maybe I should see if a Bubble Bum would be easier.

Phineasmama

Yessss, I can see how that would help! They have it at the Kohls Safety Center so I could totally go check it out :D

scoutingbear

Either way, it might be difficult to buckle that position. With a bubble bum or RSTV. As an occassional vehicle, I would try them both out first if you can. I would not use either one for every day use (although my son uses his BB almost daily for carpool) because both of them require routing the seatbelt through clips every ride. We used both when we traveled recently on a trip that required multiple ins and outs of cars. Buckling wasn't as fast as it is when the kids are in their regular seats!

Phineasmama

ketchupqueen said:
Are the buckle stalks floppy? If so a Buckle Biter might help. :)

Yes they are and it's the weirdo middle seat belt and it seems like it's shoved so far back there and it's kind of off center...it's just annoying. Maybe I'll just wait for the buckle biter to get here before I try anything else :)

Phineasmama

scoutingbear said:
Either way, it might be difficult to buckle that position. With a bubble bum or RSTV. As an occassional vehicle, I would try them both out first if you can. I would not use either one for every day use (although my son uses his BB almost daily for carpool) because both of them require routing the seatbelt through clips every ride. We used both when we traveled recently on a trip that required multiple ins and outs of cars. Buckling wasn't as fast as it is when the kids are in their regular seats!

Yeah, thankfully she doesn't ride in this vehicle on a daily basis, DH usually just takes the younger two on his way to work. But we do need her to be able to ride in there maybe once or twice a week at most, usually just a short half mile trip to school. I would go nuts if I had to deal with it every day lol!

momtoo3

I found the Cosco HiRise/Ambassador (same seat 2 different names) much easier than the literider for 3 across. It is narrower at the back and the armrests are higher giving easier access. They are under $20 too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC