Oddy owners... need advice!

TN Mary

Been searching for used Odysseys (2005 and newer)... and I'm finding that they're around $25k-$30k with around 18-40k miles on them (at least the way I want them equipped).

Looked at a NEW EXL '07 over the weekend (w/rear cam, dvd, etc) and the dealer just called me and said they'll lower the price from $35k to $29k.

Hmmmmm.......

Is this something I should jump on?

BTW, the lowest price I've found on a 2005 EXL was $25k - but it had 40,000 miles on it. :rolleyes:

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Used Hondas are often overpriced comapared to a good deal on a new one. Odysseys aren't in low supply or high demand anymore, so they should sell around invoice or even lower in many major metro areas. That deal sounds OK, but nothing incredible. Dealers will be wanting to unload 2007s right now. Double check at www.odyclub.com and see what people think there.

southpawboston

right now is a great time to buy... as CPS darren said, dealers want to unload their 2007 stock. we saw some base-level ody LX's and they were willing to go down as low as $23k. tempting. i just can't wrap my head around the idea of getting 25 mpg on the highway. that's ridiculous. i don't need 240+ horsepower if i'm just hauling my family on the interstate. why can't they at least offer more than one engine option? (and i don't count the cylinder management feature on the EXL as an "engine option"). they also had base-level accords that they were willing to let go for around $17k. also a great deal.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
We did pretty well on our trip to Yellowstone and back. About 3400 miles total. The highway sections averaged about 26mpg. We had one tank just over 24, one almost 29 and the most of the rest all in the low 26s. 26ish is pretty typical for our highway mileage. Granted, we were usually driving around 75-80, so aerodynamics take the biggest hit. I'm pretty sure I could do the EPA 28mpg consistently if I wanted to drive 55 or 60 like the EPA did lol.

TN Mary

Ok... back to reality. I checked out oddyclub and my price was just so-so.

Some people are getting that price (or even lower) out the door.

Glad I know this... thanks for the tip! Makes me want to buy new since the price is the same as 2 yr old used with miles. :whistle:

southpawboston

Makes me want to buy new since the price is the same as 2 yr old used with miles. :whistle:

exactly! why are people willing to buy a two year old car for the same price as a new one? don't these people know how to shop around? when we were looking for a new car last year, we saw two year old 3's for only $1000 less than MSRP on new ones (we wanted a used one initially). granted, you can usually haggle your way down a couple grand on the used ones, but there's sitll some haggling room on new ones as well. plus then you're two years ahead in terms of depreciation.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Makes me want to buy new since the price is the same as 2 yr old used with miles. :whistle:

And, if you're financing it, you may get a better interest rate on the new one for even lower payments. Just be sure to shop around on loans before you go in to the dealer. Know what's a good rate, so you can make an educated decision on whether to go with the dealer financing or not.

TN Mary

Well, the only way we'd save money on used is if we go with a 2004 or older.

And based on what I've read, the safety features I want weren't STANDARD on Oddys till '05.

So thats why I've been focused on 2005 models and up.
Carmax found an 06 Oddy for me for $30k but it had 21k miles on it. Which sounds ok till you find out that some folks are getting NEW 2007 Oddy's for $27-$30k out the door!! :eek:

TN Mary

And, if you're financing it, you may get a better interest rate on the new one for even lower payments. Just be sure to shop around on loans before you go in to the dealer. Know what's a good rate, so you can make an educated decision on whether to go with the dealer financing or not.

Thanks for the tip... I'm also going to have print ups from Edmunds and Carmax for what my car is worth before I look at their low ball offer on my van for a trade in. :thumbsup:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Don't buy a 2005... UNLESS you never plan to put more than one harnessed seat in the back...there's only one tether anchor in the middle, and you can't add any more (2004 you can have three, 2006 comes with three, 2005 was the bad year)

:rolleyes:

becca011906

Senior Community Member
It is so so so frustating... we have been van browsing... still browsing... think about waiting till tax time to buy not so we can get a bigger down payment and pay more off on the trade in, ect.
I don't want to buy a "new" car, if we do buy a 'new' car then it better be a GM b/c we can get a discount, so we are looking at used... well as you are finding the 'used' isn't a very great 'used' price so of course my dhs started looking at other vans newer, more options, same safety ratings and a LOT lower price tag... it sucks b/c i really want an ody, but dh isn't so sure we can get all the options we want and a good price, ect....

TN Mary

Jules... thanks for the tip about the Oddy models. That really does narrow down my search tighter to 06-07 only.

Becca.... what kind of options does your DH want? I have a long laundry list of stuff I want safety wise and option wise.

What I'm finding is that I can still get all of this in the UNDER $30k ball park range for a NEW 07 Oddy.

As much as I love that new Saturn Outlook, there would be no way I could get one loaded like I want in that price range.... same goes for the Acadia.

Besides, with 3 kids and knowing that the Oddy trunk space is H-U-G-E :eek: I don't think I could pay what they're wanting for an Outlook or Acadia. And thanks guys for the tips about using a tow trailer, but I'd really like to get my storage space ON the vehicle.

Maybe we just need to get rid of one of the kids and ALL our problems would be solved. :D Woops, did I just say that?! :eek:

becca011906

Senior Community Member
My dh wants to have power everything, doors, locks, windows, remote operations for doors, back hatch ect, he would like leather, but doesn't have to but nicer fabric, a factory DVD player would be really nice (we have went through 3 add in dvd players on various cars), oh and it has to look ya know like a sports car! LOL typical man!!!

For me it doesn't "have" to have curtin 3 row air bags but that's a HUGE plus, it does how ever have to get pretty darn close to 5 start ratings all around...

Dh is really liking the nissan quests, we both like the town and country and grand caravans but it's hard to find used with curtin air bags...

I'd be happy with a '04 ody but dh doesn't like thoes near as much as the newer modles, the crash test ratings are fine with me personally with out the curting air bags. We would also really like not to spend more then about 20K finacially we could but if possilbe i'd like my car payments to go down lower then the payments are currently on the land rover... so frustrating...

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Was AWD one of your preferences? I can't remember- Did you look into the Sienna AWD version? If you don't need all the bells and whistles, a new LE AWD should also be well under 30k out the door right now for a 2007. It has a bit more cargo space and third row room if you want to fit 3 people in the back seat.

Or you can find 2004 and newer used models like this one with more stuff:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=228809756

MySillyKids

Don't buy a 2005... UNLESS you never plan to put more than one harnessed seat in the back...there's only one tether anchor in the middle, and you can't add any more (2004 you can have three, 2006 comes with three, 2005 was the bad year)

:rolleyes:

:yeahthat:

I have an 05, and now i want a newer one ROFL.. however we're only having THREE kids, so 3 tethers are not so bad.

lovinwaves

Yep. This is just what I was thinking while reading the OP's post. :thumbsup:

3% is what we got ours at offered by Honda. And just a little hint....You can *really* talk them down this time of the year. We got our '05 for a great price :D

And $25K seems awefully high for a 2005 for 40K miles. :twocents:

TN Mary

The dealer said they can only offer the lower price on the EX-L *OR* low APR. Not both.

If we take the lower price.... the lowest % rate through local credit unions and banks is around 5.75-5.99%.

Not very attractive at all.

We have the money to pay cash for it... but I really don't want to drain our savings. We would still have a good healthy emergency fund left... maybe that's what saving money is for! I'd rather pay our savings account back vs a bank at 5.99%!

So not sure what we're going to do.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
IMO and only IF you have $$ left for an ER fund... then pay cash... don't tell them that till you talk them all the way down though. I wouldn't pay interest rate on anything that i can pay cash for... or pay cash for somthing i can get 0% rate, but honda doesn't have that right now...

o_mom

exactly! why are people willing to buy a two year old car for the same price as a new one? don't these people know how to shop around? when we were looking for a new car last year, we saw two year old 3's for only $1000 less than MSRP on new ones (we wanted a used one initially). granted, you can usually haggle your way down a couple grand on the used ones, but there's sitll some haggling room on new ones as well. plus then you're two years ahead in terms of depreciation.

One thing we have found, with Honda in particular, is that the warranty on the certified used is actually BETTER than the new car. A one year old certified used with 10K miles is warrantied out to 100K, a new car is only warrantied to 60K. An extra 30K of powertrain coverage is worth looking at. It was even better pre-2006 when the new car coverage was only 36K. Not saying that many aren't still overpriced, but something to consider.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC