Vent Carseat ruined my sestbelt. :(

Ninetales

Grrr. I was out for the day on a little road trip with my kids, sister, and niece. We were getting everyone in the car to leave when I couldn't tighten Elsa's harness. I tried several times but they wouldn't budge. I couldn't figure out what it was hung up on and really didn't want to uninstall It considering I had two other kids already buckled up on either side.

When I finally did give up and take it out I found that the splitter plate was hung up on the seatbelt and my pulling on it had actually punctured it. The hooked edge of the plate poked a hole right through. So now my middle seatbelt is useless. Thank goodness I have middle LATCH, at least.

But since she's 45 lbs LATCH won't really be an option much longer so now I have to put her outboard. Her being so young and FF I really liked having her in the middle.

Lesson learned, I guess. If it doesn't go, just take it out. :(

ADS

jjordan

Wow! I wouldn't think that you'd be able to do that! You must be strong! Sorry about your seatbelt. :( How old is the car? You could price out replacing the seatbelt and see if it's worth it.

Ninetales

It's an '04. I don't think I was pulling that hard either. But we were tired, the kids were starting to lose it, so maybe I got frantic and overdid it. Who knows.

My reaction was pretty much "you have got to be kidding me."

Ninetales

What I found when I tried to uninstall my seat.

image-1838309066.jpg

image-3242053420.jpg

image-2340693863.jpg

The belt damage.

image-3834225072.jpg

Looking at it today it appears more like the splitter plate managed to work through the fibers of the belt without severing them. However I'm no expert and would guess that it's not safe anymore.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
How... How... HOW does that even happen?!

That splitter plate has the tooth on the INTERIOR on the plate, that's like... I can't even fathom. Seriously, how???

Beckers

OK, I'll be the voice of decent and say your seatbelt is most likely fine if it just worked through the fibers. My seatbelts in the Focus all have button like things on them to prevent the latchplate from sliding down too far. We have to take them off so we could put in a car seat (the button landed right where the latchplate needed to be) and all they are is 2 plastic circles with a metal pin connecting them through the seat belt.

I totally understand if you don't want to take a chance, but wanted to share that observation.

Ninetales

I'll take a closer look to see if it's a hole or not.

The splitter plate really isn't that sharp. It's just a freak thing. It must have snagged on the belt when I tried to tighten it, and in my desperation to get it tightened so we could get two toddlers and an infant on the road before they started losing it, I did yank pretty hard.

featherhead

Ok, did you have it installed with LATCH and the seatbelt buckled behind the seat? I can't quite picture how it could happen if it was installed with the seatbelt.

Ninetales

No, it was installed with the belt. The shoulder portion goes down toward the buckle and it's open so if it's loosened enough the splitter does touch it.

Ninetales

I don't know either! All I know is it didn't tighten, I unbuckled the damn thing, and that's what it looked like.

bubbaray

But if the seat is installed FFg, the seatbelt is forward of the splitter plate, not behind it. If it was installed RFg, the seatbelt is behind the splitter plate.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC