Question Radian without head wings

mlohry

I am looking at trading out my MA70 to keep my DD who is 3.9 years old and only wants to RF. The person who wants to trade with me has an R120 so no head wings. I've borrowed an XTSL and my DD has only used seats with head wings or support. Is everyone comfortable using this seat? We do have side air bags in our van. I may also use the seat FF and just want to make sure I'm good. Guess I'm use to something surrounding her head.

How does this seat do for sleeping kids FF and RF. My DD is a big car sleeper. TIA!

ADS

Malka

My 3.5 year old DS sleeps great RFing in his R100. Even with the angle adjuster, his head doesn't flop anywhere when he sleeps. And he's a little guy so he has lots of room. The seat says it has side protection, it just doesn't have the head wings that stick out. I have an Odyssey with side air bags, too, so I'm comfortable with his protection.

mlohry

Malka said:
My 3.5 year old DS sleeps great RFing in his R100. Even with the angle adjuster, his head doesn't flop anywhere when he sleeps. And he's a little guy so he has lots of room. The seat says it has side protection, it just doesn't have the head wings that stick out. I have an Odyssey with side air bags, too, so I'm comfortable with his protection.

Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to hear and we have the Ody.

jjordan

Honestly, I can't get those side impact videos out of my head, and a FF Radian without the wings does make me nervous. We have one that I do use if I have to. But I feel better if it is in the center of the car and/or rear facing.

ETA: If it helps, I do realize that it is the irrational part of me that is nervous, since we have no actual evidence that any one seat (wings or not) is safer than any other. :) Well, maybe "irrational" is the wrong word, but it's definitely the "intuition-based" rather than "evidence-based" part of my brain.

mlohry

jjordan said:
Honestly, I can't get those side impact videos out of my head, and a FF Radian without the wings does make me nervous. We have one that I do use if I have to. But I feel better if it is in the center of the car and/or rear facing.

ETA: If it helps, I do realize that it is the irrational part of me that is nervous, since we have no actual evidence that any one seat (wings or not) is safer than any other. :)

Was the Radian shown in those videos, I don't remember. We do have side air bags in our van.

mlohry

A friend linked ms the video, yeah not great. Well in my case I am buying the seat to keep my 3.9 year old RF longer as she doesn't like FF and we have a Prosport waiting when she wants to FF. If I needed to use the Radian FF we would just only do it in vehicles with side air bags or put her in the middle or our captains chair slides to the middle.

bnsnyde

I went out and got seats that had big headwings because it made me breathe easier. I know some say the Radian ones are shallow but to me they don't look shallow at all.

We have side airbags and the Odyssey, AND she's in the middle. :) But my other kids are outboard.

Our Civic has no side-air bags and the only seat I ever want to use in there is the Prosport, which has turned out to be a great seat! So when you do use that, it's really great! Soooo much easier to tighten.

whitneyg

Would having side curtain airbags make an appreciable difference in this case? I am in a similar situation as the OP with my seat decision process.

mlohry

whitneyg said:
Would having side curtain airbags make an appreciable difference in this case? I am in a similar situation as the OP with my seat decision process.

I am hoping so as I trust side curtain air bags with my life and my boys' lives as they now ride in no back boosters. I know it's not full proof, but I do believe they help.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Is there a reason you don't want the head wings? I had an 80SL and now have an RXT. I never noticed how much I love the head wings until now. J has no headslump in it.

mlohry

I would not mind the head wings at all, the one I borrowed had head wings, but I need to get rid of or trade my MA70 and the person who wants to trade has a Radian with no head wings. I am just scared I won't like it for sleeping or not feel safe with no head wings, although our van does have side curtain air bags.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC