What should I do RE: seats??

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Right now I have DD1 RF in her new Princess Radian80. I tried to love it, but there are several things I don't like. First and foremost is the problem of the loosening harness--I have never loosened it, and today I had to tighten it a good 4 inches to get it tight enough (this was after a 2.5 hour road trip). And, I can only have it RF behind one of the front seats. I had it in the middle, and it started out at an ok angle but with DD's weight in it, it kept tilting backwards (towards the front of the car). So I have it braced against the passenger seat right now. Over the weekend, DH took DD1 out Jeepin' and I had it FF in the center with a lapbelt only. I had that sucker in there tight, but on a corner it tipped. He brought her back, and I put her in DD2's Marathon, FF, and it didn't budge an inch.

I bought it from elitecarseats, and I really want to return it, but I don't want to replace it with another Radian because of the RF issue. Plus, we are going to be getting 2 new (to us) cars in the near future, and I hate the fact that if we go anywhere in someone else's car, or have a rental, etc we'll have to worry about whether or not the seat will install! I got the return shipping, but I have already thrown out the box. I would love to return it for a Como or Signo, but I'm not sure how long I can wait before returning the Radian, and I don't want to have to buy another seat in the interim (we have a Triumph, but it's loaned out).

ADS

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I don't have personal experience with the Radian, but from the board, there are cars that don't "like" the Radian, especially RFing. Look up some of the older posts

I'd call Elitecarseats and explain your issues - that you aren't able to get a good install. See what they say.

RE: the harness loosens Could the gizmo that "locks" the harness front adjuster be not functioning correctly. I'm thinking if it stays in the "open" or unlocked position, the harness could come loose. I've seen the gizmo get stuck in "open" mode on older seats.

RE: seat loosens in the vehicle (after you have checked the incompatibility posts and database):

1. What type of seat belt system do you have? In what vehicle.
2. Can you post a picture of the buckled seat - focus on where the buckle is laying in the belt path? If the male end of the buckle is right at the edge of the belt path, it will always loosen easily. Can you twist the stalk to shorten the male end?
3. Are you using the rear tether? I'd think it would be difficult for a tethered seat to tip.

arly1983

Unfortunitly, I know exactly what you are talking about.

As hard as I tried, I just couldn't like it RFing. I tried to install it RFing in my aunts car and couldn't...It was the last straw.

Just call elitecarseats and try to explain the situation to them. I wish you were close to me. I have a spare radian box.

Morganthe

You might also want to contact the famous Russ at Sunshine Kids directly. His email & phone is lurking around this forum somewhere. A search or another poster should come up with it somehow. Discussing your dissatisfaction with him could be of more help than elite carseats.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I thought about contacting Russ, but I'm not interested in a replacement seat, so I'm not sure how much help he could be, and I would hate to waste his time since it seems y'all keep him pretty busy :p

Morganthe

I thought about contacting Russ, but I'm not interested in a replacement seat, so I'm not sure how much help he could be, and I would hate to waste his time since it seems y'all keep him pretty busy :p

I can understand completely. I was just looking at it from the aspect of getting something to replace that messed up harness system before trying anything else since you don't have the original packaging. The constant loosening is completely unsafe and should be solved before your dd rides in the seat again. It would also alert the company that there is something potentially dangerously wrong with their seats. I'd be very upset as a parent if this was happening with dd's seat.

I have a sneaking suspicion that EliteCarseats might not be able to do anything about your situation because of the lack of box. Of course, I could be wrong. I frequently am :eek:

Last edited:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
The constant loosening is completely unsafe and should be solved before your dd rides in the seat again. It would also alert the company that there is something potentially dangerously wrong with their seats.

That's a good point! I will get in touch with Russ.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC