Probably a stupid question, but

VoodooChile

When you drive your older kid's friends, do you insist on a booster for them? I know I'm going to be faced with this soon, as many of dd's friends are starting to turn 8 (dd started kindy at 4 and just turned 7) and their parents are likely chucking their boosters in the trash. I don't feel like I should have to keep a stash of spares at my own expense, nor should I have to argue with anyone about booster usage in my own vehicle. I have a Pilot with a 3rd row where kids tend to 5-step early, where I could put someone in an emergency, but over the next 2-3 years, am I just going to be better off not driving friends at all?

*It doesn't help that dd's pediatrician just told dd that she needs to be in a booster until she's 8 :rolleyes: (and her friends probably tell her the same thing). So I had her sit in the middle of the 2nd row with the ceiling seat belt and showed her how the shoulder belt came across the middle of her face, and the lap belt was practically on her ribs, and asked her if she really thought I would let her ride around like that.

ADS

sirrahn

If I happen to have an empty booster, I will offer it, but if their own parent doesn't care, I do not push the issue. I don't do a huge amount of driving friends around, and if it were a regular carpool kind of thing, and the fit was truly awful, I would insist, but for the last minute driving a friend home from party or something, I'm just not going to.

I get that it probably shouldn't matter and if they need one they need one, but it's the approach I'm most comfortable with.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Just wait till you have a car full of 7th graders who are so used to parent-allowed misuse they immediately all put their belts behind their backs :eek::thumbsdown: I make my kids tell their friends to use their seatbelts properly :cool:
Anyway, like sirrahn, I don't really make too big a deal about it, I like to have a cool looking booster in the car (flame print on the harmony from walmart, or pink zebra, or camouflage, they really have some fun ones for $13)

Shaunam

I insist on boosters. We've only had a couple 8-9 years olds ride with us, but they definitely didn't 5 step. I don't have a van though, so I'm not going to be transporting a boat load of kids, so it's no big deal to have 1 extra booster hanging around.

Phineasmama

My car, my rules! If the kid needs a booster then they can use one in my car, regardless of what their parents let them do. If I'm driving them and I get in an accident I am ultimately responsible for all the passengers.

NVMBR02

At this point, yes I do. I have extra boosters at home and keep a bubblebum in the trunk just in case it is needed.

DD1's friends are generally the issue, since we are a booster till 8 state. Most of her friends are 8 and 9 so they do not use boosters on a regular basis. They have all figured out at this point that they will need a booster in my car. So far, I really have not had any complaints. All of the boosters are fun colors/patterns and they have fun choosing which one they will use. A few of the girls are probably pretty close to 5 stepping in the third row (Honda Pilot). My almost 9 year old is pretty close and several of her friends are taller than her so hopefully it wont be an issue when they start complaining about booster use.

DS's friends are used to boosters for the most part. I did have a discussion with one of his friends last week. He wanted to sit on the seat on his knees and we talked about the correct way to ride in a car. He told me his mom didn't care, which is probably true. I just repeated that he needed to follow my rules when he is in my car.

But to answer the question, yes. Boosters are a must in my car.

christineka

I insist on boosters and I keep a stash of my own. The literiders are cheap and once your kid is booster age, it is convenient to have spares to throw in other people's vehicles.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I keep a booster in the car. At 10.5 years some of Piper's friends ARE big enough to go without, or wouldn't fit well with. But most sit in the booster without so much as a comment. Often Piper will take the spare and they sit in hers.

Wendy

kiloyd

I had a backless booster borrowed for awhile and yes, if *I* am driving a friend's child then I am responsible for them and they will ride in a backless if needed.

I gave it away when we moved but will buy another one if needed.

agave

My friend's 9 yr old rides in my 3rd row with mediocre belt fit. She hasn't been in a booster since 4 or 5. Her 10 yr old sister fit surprisingly well in the front seat. Their mom has thanked me because the 9 yr old is now buckling automatically instead of having to be frequently reminded after 2 weeks of riding with me.

Athena

I would ask myself, am I comfortable driving them without a booster (when they don't five step)? Personally, I wouldn't be. You are the driver and you are the one who has to live with it if something happens to them, so you have the right to require they ride safely.

I do wonder how people explain it to kids who are curious and bright enough to ask the tough questions. When my kid asks why others aren't riding safely, sometimes, like when I know the people are educated and have plenty of money, I have to restrain myself from not saying something like, because their parents don't care enough. :eek:

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I do. At the end of the day, I wouldn't want to live with the guilt if I allowed a kid to ride without one, we had a crash, and they suffered internal injury, paralysis or death as a result. I have preached to many parents about the benefits of boosters and feel like it's hypocritical to not do as I say.

The $13 literiders are the best thing ever for this. Cheap, easily available, lightweight. I keep a stash in my Pilot (I think the 'stash' is just one at the moment, but there's also a Turbo, for when I pick up my former nanny kids.)

thekatie

I have J1's friends use a booster. In my middle seat, a couple of them fit surprisingly well, but they won't sit there since they don't want to sit next to J2 (he's in a very grabby, kicking phase), and no one fits well behind the driver without a booster (I think I might even need one there...). J1 is 9, in 4th grade. I get some complaints, but I tell them the options are ride in the booster, or we stay at home and don't go to (the mall, IHOP, the Y, etc). J1 gets teased horribly when he goes somewhere else and brings his booster... and I've seen his friends' parents roll there eyes as he runs to grab it from my car. Oh well :(

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I do wonder how people explain it to kids who are curious and bright enough to ask the tough questions. When my kid asks why others aren't riding safely, sometimes, like when I know the people are educated and have plenty of money, I have to restrain myself from not saying something like, because their parents don't care enough. :eek:

I simply say, "well, you don't fit without a booster in THIS car, so you need to use one". I don't discuss what other parents do and do not require.

Athena

J1 gets teased horribly when he goes somewhere else and brings his booster... and I've seen his friends' parents roll there eyes as he runs to grab it from my car. Oh well :(

How do you handle the teasing? Please realize when I say this that my kids are much younger and I have no idea what it's like to have a 9 year old (although I do expect to be the one who has their 9 year olds still in boosters), but my gut reaction is I'd have a serious talking to with any children/adults teasing my kid! :mad: But IRL, how does one handle that and protect their kids of that age from this?

thekatie

Athena said:
How do you handle the teasing? Please realize when I say this that my kids are much younger and I have no idea what it's like to have a 9 year old (although I do expect to be the one who has their 9 year olds still in boosters), but my gut reaction is I'd have a serious talking to with any children/adults teasing my kid! :mad: But IRL, how does one handle that and protect their kids of that age from this?

The parents don't actually say anything, other than comments like "Well, he's 9, can't he ride without one now? I thought the law said 9." I say, "It also says 4'9", and he's only 4'6"! Still has a while to go!" I guess when he hits 4'9" and still doesn't fit a seat I'll just mention belt fit.

As for other kids teasing him, mostly J handles that. "My mom just wants me safe, and hey yeah, maybe it's dorky but at least my guts won't get squashed in an accident." One kid made a comment about J1 sitting in a baby seat, and I said, "No, J2 is in a baby seat. As you can see, J1's seat and J2's seat are completely different."

VoodooChile

The parents don't actually say anything, other than comments like "Well, he's 9, can't he ride without one now? I thought the law said 9." I say, "It also says 4'9"...

I like this! I'm pretty sure our law also mentions 4'9". At dd's 7 year well-check, she was 47.5" (although I don't think her heels were against the wall), so I can use that one for awhile yet!

I have 1 spare Literider too.

Suzibeck

I keep an extra backless in my van. I've never had a kid complain although I did have a grandpa tell me his granddaughter didnt need it. Funny, his daughter, the girl's mom, thinks she does. We transport one another's kids often and we both keep a spare backless for that reason, our 10 year olds are both little. The 9 yo neighbor boy I bring home from school sometimes just 5 steps in my 3rd row but he mostly chooses to ride in the captain's chair, in a booster, and he has been out of a booster in his parent's car since he was 4. He actually likes to ride in my pink Vivo (it got left in the van once after dd used it for a long, might sleep, drive) he thinks it is super comfy.

I do check if kids 5 step and if they don't they ride in a booster or they don't ride with me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC