Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Carseat Crazy

baby carrier suggestions

I currently have a MT, that I love,but dont' like to use it before about 18months. I'm going to be watching my niece, starting in 3 weeks (she's 2 1/2 weeks old). I'm torn between a moby,(that I have used before and had a love/hate relationship with), and a baby k'tan. I'd love a woven wrap,but they are above my budget. I want something easy to put on, and comfortable. my biggest issue with the moby was you had to keep it folded in half, while trying to put it on with kids running around, in the dirty parking lot, but once you got it on it was so comfy, but got all messed up putting baby in and out. anyone use a MT with a tiny one? if so, how do you keep them from squishing down in it? What other carriers are good for tiny ones?
    Last edited by D&L's-mommy; 12-31-2012 at 07:27 PM.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: baby carrier suggestions

Have you tried rolling the bottom of the MT? [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc4-tSd0a2U"]Using a Mei tai baby carrier with a newborn by Frogmama baby carriers - YouTube[/ame]

I like both of those. The Moby is more comfortable over longer periods and once wrapped you just leave it on unless it loosens. The Ktan has to be put on again but its easy to do and won't drag on the ground. I go back and forth on which I prefer. Now that A. Is 6 months I am mostly using the Moby and Ergo.
    ETA: if we are going somewhere I need the Moby, I put it on at home before leaving.
    ~Shannon
    DD (11.5) Seatbelt; DS (9) Incognito; DD2 (7) Britax Parkway; DD3 (4.5) Graco Nautilus

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Kegracin View Post
    I have tried this, I just feel like once I put her in froggy position and get her in she just continues to slide down into a lump, maybe I just need to keep playing around with it

Quote Originally Posted by MommyShannon View Post
    I like both of those. The Moby is more comfortable over longer periods and once wrapped you just leave it on unless it loosens. The Ktan has to be put on again but its easy to do and won't drag on the ground. I go back and forth on which I prefer. Now that A. Is 6 months I am mostly using the Moby and Ergo.
    ETA: if we are going somewhere I need the Moby, I put it on at home before leaving.
    My friend puts her moby on at home too before going out. Do you still need the infant insert for the ergo at months?

With my second and third, in the newborn stage, I liked wearing them either in a non-padded ring sling, (worn very tight with the baby positioned mostly upright), or froggied in the babyhawk (rolled up on the bottom when very small.)
    My newbs were about 7lbs and loved both of those carriers. The sling could also be used to position them more horizontal. It's very versatile. I also used a woven wrap, but that was mostly just around the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org
    Ann, mom to 3 big brothers and a baby girl:
    DS1 - Aug 2006, 80 lb, 56", incognitos
    DS2 - May 2008, 77 lb, 51.5", Vivo or NBB
    DS3 - June 2011, 46 lb, 43", FF in FR85 or booster training
    DD - May 2015, 19 lb, 29", ) Snugride 30

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    I've used mei-tais (BabyHawks) from birth. Froggy-style. I never had a baby squish down. Are you sure you're tightening enough? Once I got them in there, it was the same as if I were holding them in the same position. (Maybe the BabyHawk has a stiffer back than some others?)

I also love an upright front-carry in a ring sling for n00bs.

You don't have to fold the Moby. It can be gathered. And I totally second putting it on before you leave- that's what I did, too. Moby is my first choice for newborns, hands down. Then Ergo when babe has head control- I didn't love the infant insert, but maybe you can try that, too?

I've been using a baby ktan with dd 2. We'll be switching to an ergo now that I got one, but the baby ktan is what I've used since a week or 2, up until now (5.5 months/19ish lbs)
    Rayleigh - 9/07 - Frontier 85

Reese - 7/12 - RF Britax Boulevard

Carseat Crazy

thanks for the suggestions. My concern is when I have all 3 kids at the amusement park alone (we have season passes), and the kids play musical chairs all day (who's in the stroller, who's walking, who's on a ride, etc) plus if I want to go on a little ride (like the carousel or train) with the kids I want to be able to pop the baby on and off. I had a bjorn was great for that, but they suck, hhmm,, now i'm just being difficult, lol. I guess this is why it's good to have a few carriers

Beco Butterfly? It has the infant insert. (v1 has a sewn-in infant insert, v2 has a removable one). You can take the baby out without taking the carrier off because you just unbuckle the outside panel at the shoulders.

I used my Angelpack from birth with #8. It's quite narrow (about 12") at the bottom of the panel, so she was already legs out at about 1.5mo.
    17yrs, 15yrs, 13yrs, 11yrs , 9yrs (58", 75lbs, Incognito), 7yrs (46", 50lbs, Dreamtime), 5yrs (41", 35lbs, RN), 3yrs (30lbs, RF Marathon), NB (Peg 4-35)
    '14 Mazda5, '06 Chevy Express, '08 Toyota Tundra

I'd get a ring sling. If its long enough you can do a rucksack with it for longer carries.
    Mom to Caterina born January 12, 2009 and FF in a TWE and Julian born September 6, 2012 and RF in a Varioguard

I like the moby for popping on and off. It's also nice that there isn't a structured waist so sitting is comfortable. I have a Beco butterfly II. I like it, but prefer the moby or ergo.
    ~Shannon
    DD (11.5) Seatbelt; DS (9) Incognito; DD2 (7) Britax Parkway; DD3 (4.5) Graco Nautilus

When using the Mei tai make sure to tie the straps behind babes back so that it keeps them more upright and doesn't allow them to slump. Also rolling the bottom will shorten the body so that babes head is further out of the carrier....and you can see babes head and its not burried. http://youtu.be/yXxcj0bYdL8

Samantha - CRST
    ~* Mom To Joshua -16 years, Seat belt *~
    ~* Liam - 10 years, 55-60 Pounds, Graco booster (no back) *~
    ~* Cordelia Grace - 7 years, 41lbs, Diono Monterey *~

Carseat Crazy

I the Baby K'Tan, especially for younger babies.

Karen, mom to my crew...all 6 riding in '09 pilot

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Shanora View Post
    When using the Mei tai make sure to tie the straps behind babes back so that it keeps them more upright and doesn't allow them to slump. Also rolling the bottom will shorten the body so that babes head is further out of the carrier....and you can see babes head and its not burried. http://youtu.be/yXxcj0bYdL8
    I do roll the bottom, that's a good tip in the video to tie the straps off to the side, I think I'm not tying it tight enough because I'm afraid to hurt her

Quote Originally Posted by MommyShannon View Post
    I like the moby for popping on and off. It's also nice that there isn't a structured waist so sitting is comfortable. I have a Beco butterfly II. I like it, but prefer the moby or ergo.
    that's what I like about the moby, there's an actual seat to support her, but I can make it adjust to any size I need

You could buy fabric for a woven wrap, and that could be in your budget... You don't even need to sew. You could use hem tape.

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuria View Post
    You could buy fabric for a woven wrap, and that could be in your budget... You don't even need to sew. You could use hem tape.
    I seriously thought about doing this, I've never seen a "real" woven wrap up close, what kind of fabric could it be compared to? Like bed sheet fabric, or dress slacks fabric,upholstery fabric, or is it more like a tapestry fabric with more visible weave? I guess really I could use any woven fabric, as long as it's not too stiff. I've also seem people make their own moby style wrap, but to get good heavy gauge knit fabric is expensive (when you're buying 5-6 yards)

There's a fabric from ikea that is popular for DIY wraps. I don't recall the name but I'm sure you can google it. I think a diagonal weave is preferred but honestly don't know why. I've read the weave 101 thread on TBW and frankly there are wraps with all sorts of weaves. My ellaroo is not diagonally woven and my storch is a diamond weave. I've never even tried a diagonal weave.

I don't consider wraps poppable TBH. I suck at pre-tieing apparently. I just don't feel like the subsequent wrap job is precise enough.

I've recently read that it's preferable not to tie the knot for a MT behind a babies back but off to the side. I don't use a MT though as DS seems to knot like it much.
    Mom to Caterina born January 12, 2009 and FF in a TWE and Julian born September 6, 2012 and RF in a Varioguard

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by newyorkDOC View Post
    There's a fabric from ikea that is popular for DIY wraps. I don't recall the name but I'm sure you can google it. I think a diagonal weave is preferred but honestly don't know why. I've read the weave 101 thread on TBW and frankly there are wraps with all sorts of weaves. My ellaroo is not diagonally woven and my storch is a diamond weave. I've never even tried a diagonal weave.

I don't consider wraps poppable TBH. I suck at pre-tieing apparently. I just don't feel like the subsequent wrap job is precise enough.

I've recently read that it's preferable not to tie the knot for a MT behind a babies back but off to the side. I don't use a MT though as DS seems to knot like it much.
    what is tbw?

Quote Originally Posted by D&L's-mommy View Post

what is tbw?
    The Baby Wearer

I the Beco Butterfly 2 for noobs, and a non-padded ring sling.

I suck at the Moby..... But I do froggy my noobs in our MT's. Super easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org
    Mom to 11....#9: DD 6 FR85 Harnessed #10: DS 4 ERF (32 lbs) Radian RXT in Rugby #11: DD 9/11 RF Radian RXT Flora