12-year-old dies in crash

ADS

bnsnyde

Wow, I didn't realize the boy was driving, if I read that right. And without a belt. It's just a sad combination of events!

Athena

What was a 12 year old doing driving? Don't get me wrong, it's always sad when someone dies, but I'm stuck on being completely baffled about the circumstances.

henrietta

What was a 12 year old doing driving? Don't get me wrong, it's always sad when someone dies, but I'm stuck on being completely baffled about the circumstances.

:) My friend and I took out her parents car AND my parents car at one time or another. One time, we got caught, by the police. She spent the rest of the summer in court with her mother. Her mom was a juvenile court judge. LOL
I know my brother took the car out a few times before he had a license. Lots of kids do it. Sure doesn't make it right..but not unusual. (And fwiw, each time we took the car, our parents were home, so you can't always blame the parents!)

Such a shame. Judgement is so poor in teens and preteens.

tam_shops

We all started driving on the farm around 12yo. You'd start with the lawn mower, then tractors, then (depending on the size of your farm) move onto bigger machines before being allowed to drive the truck. Nobody thought anything of it.

Know we were not allowed on the road, but that certainly didn't stop my brother...

tam

agave

I drove my x-SIL's car to the store once at 14 because she and her friend's needed a place to smoke weed and a ride to get snacks. I'm pretty sure my parent's still don't know about that.

Unfortunately lots of teens get behind the wheel before they are ready and the parents are totally unaware of the problem.

christineka

We all started driving on the farm around 12yo. You'd start with the lawn mower, then tractors, then (depending on the size of your farm) move onto bigger machines before being allowed to drive the truck. Nobody thought anything of it.

Know we were not allowed on the road, but that certainly didn't stop my brother...

tam

The article made it sound like the boy was driving on a ranch or farm. This just goes to show that seatbelts should be worn all the time- even if you aren't driving in traffic.

SavsMom

It was very common for 12 year olds to drive on farm land where I am from, then again we also got our permits at 14 (yes, 14 and we could drive alone between 6 am and 8 pm).

Still a sad story.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
He was on a gravel road. So not much traffic usually. I've heard a few different reasons on why he was driving, but don't know for sure. Not sure if his parents knew or not.

Praying and thinking of his family. So awful.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC