Combi Coccoro?

Violet's Mom

Hi everyone! I've been lurking here for quite some time, reading and gaining quite a bit of knowledge about car seats from all the experts here. Largely based on opinions here I decided to get a Coccoro for our secondary car seat. My plan was to use the CCO in our less-used car, for air travel, etc.. Our daughter is 14 months old, and I plan to replace the seat with either the Foonf or the upcoming Chicco convertible later in 2013, to allow for longer rear-facing.

However, I got the CCO today and now I'm feeling a little nervous. I had never seen one in person before. I knew it was a light seat and that was one of the features that made it seem attractive for travel. But it seems so light compared to her other convertible and seats that we tried at the store. I'm having second thoughts about using it in a vehicle, wondering if it will provide adequate protection in the event of a crash. Any advice?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It passes the same exact tests as heavier seats. Maybe having less bulk around the child and more ability to flex is a *better* thing? Who knows?

I trust it with Laine's life. It's our travel seat. We did the same as you. It was in our secondary car, then when I thought she was getting close to outgrowing it I got her a bigger one and retained the Coccoro for travel. Hopefully she'll use it for another couple of years. Then we can figure out if we do a ride safer travel vest, maestro, or booster for travel.

Wendy

Stelvis

I had one then got rid of it before the baby was born, because it wouldn't install where I needed it to in my van. I'm glad I did because she would have already just about outgrown it RF.

So, is it unsafe? No, of course not, it's fine. But it's a lot of money to spend on a seat for a kid who's already 14 months old if you're only going to use it occasionally. If you're going to get a short convertible for occasional use and travel, why not just go get a Scenera and pocket the $100+ you saved towards a Foonf?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
How does your 14-month-old fit in it? I :love: the Coccoro and don't feel it's unsafe at all. I also LOVE it for airplane travel. But I wouldn't buy it for a 14-month-old unless she's very small. My 14-month-old only has an inch before it's outgrown rear-facing. My daughter made it to 2, and some will make it longer, but it's definitely not going to give you the most bang for your buck.

NVMBR02

I pretty much agree with everyone else. It really isn't a practical seat for a 14 month old, unless she is tiny. However I have tiny kids. :love: I ended up selling my coccoro early this summer since I wasn't using it. My then almost 3 year old still fit rear facing with a bit of room. She would have made it to 3 for sure, but I know she is not the norm.

I do feel the coccoro is a very safe seat however. I trusted it completely. It is probably one of my favorite seats and I was sad to see it go.

gigi

I disagree completely. I bought mine when my daughter was 12 months. She is now 18 months and has at least 4" above her head. She was 32.5". 21 lbs at 16 months and has visibly grown since. 18 month onesies, 2T pants & sleepers. She has a short torso but is 80% for height.

If your kid is 2t in onesies or has a big head, you probably won't have much time but for an average height kid you should be fine for a while.

thekatie

I bought a Coccoro for my 16 month old... Well, for me, but I can't fit into it ;) I ::do:: have a tiny child though, who is still wearing many brand's 12 month clothing even though he's almost 21 months. I've never had a qualm about it's construction - even though it's lighter in pounds than many other seats, it really seems "solid" to me. Flexible, it's definitely plastic not steel, but still somehow very solid and sturdy.

Stelvis

gigi said:
I disagree completely. I bought mine when my daughter was 12 months. She is now 18 months and has at least 4" above her head. She was 32.5". 21 lbs at 16 months and has visibly grown since. 18 month onesies, 2T pants & sleepers. She has a short torso but is 80% for height.

If your kid is 2t in onesies or has a big head, you probably won't have much time but for an average height kid you should be fine for a while.

See, my 13 month old is in 24 month onesies. She had an 11" torso at 3 months old. Now it's about 13". So for us, it would not have been a good choice. When I sat DS in it last year at age 3, his head was comically over the top by a couple inches.

Different kids, different torsoes!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd say 2 is around average age to outgrow a Coccoro RF. My baby (and Stelvis's) won't make it anywhere near 2, although I admit they're the exception. It's just as much an exception to have a kid make it to 3 though.

I did say that if you have a tiny kid, getting one for a 14-month-old is fine. A kid with an average torso will likely have less than a year left. It completely depends on the kid.

And frankly, if you're doing a lot of traveling in the next few months, it might be worth it anyway, just because it's so convenient for travel.

cmcki737

My 3 year old still fits rear facing but my friend 2.5 year old would have out grown it about a month ago so it all depends on individual child

crunchierthanthou

I adore the CCO. DD was about 1" away from outgrowing it rf at 18 months (ours was crashed, so can't say for sure when it was outgrown). I fully intend to get one in the spring once we're done with the Aton. We might only get a year out of it, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

thtr4me

I had one pass through recently. Fit my 20mo great, I loved everything about the seat, it just hated my car. I was not able to get it installed successfully. I nearly cried over it, since the seat really is great! I have since passed it onto someone else who I am hoping will love it just as much as I did.

I would be so so excited if Combi would make a tall Coccoro for taller kiddos as well, and maybe raise the profile just a wee bit so it would install in my car ;).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC