Question Recs for scooter for 4yr old

ADS

T4K

If you can afford it...Maxi kick. If not, then a razor. Razors are also good if the child wants to eventually play at the skate park.

Athena

At that age, I would stick with the 3 wheel type, but his parents would know best what he and they can handle. ;)

We have the Huffy brand scooters from target with a single wheel in front and 2 in back. We got ours on clearance really cheap at the store and they work fine, but we're not doing wild tricks or anything on them.

Holly

I just found this new Radio flyer scooter at Target today!
http://www.radioflyer.com/scooters/pro-glider-scooter.html

It seems kind of like the Radio Flyer My First Scooter but better. It reminds me of the mini kick and maxi kick scooters.
I want to get it for my son who is almost 4. He's nowhere near ready for a 2 wheeled scooter yet.

It's $40 on Amazon.

ETA, I just found this one on the Toys R Us Website, it looks similar to the Mini kick and maxi kick too. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13381789
It's on Target.com too and the store I was at today apparently has it, but I didn't see it (Wasn't looking though).

Last edited:

Shaunam

My DS has a razor scooter and loves it. I think we got it when he was 6 though. I would ask his mom if she thinks he's ready for a 2 wheel scooter or not, and go from there.

Carolinadaisy

I wish I had seen that radio flyer glider before I had ordered the ybike glider. I know my DS will love his orange scooter, but $40 is much better than $63. If it was a free return, I would totally do it. I am on a tight budget for the kids Christmas so that extra $23 would have great!

I would get the Radio flyer one for the 4 yr old, especially if he has younger siblings who would be trying it out sometimes. We bought a 3 wheeled scooter knowing that our 4 yr old might want an upgrade in a year or 2. It is safer for him right now and then we can pass it down to little brother later. Little brother is almost 2 so I am sure he will end up playing with it sometimes when Ds1 is at preschool. Razors just go so fast and I had a scooter accident when I was 6 or 7 and still have the scar on my knee from it. So I would also think about knee and elbow pads with it!

emma33021

Thanks ladies. I originally thought 3-wheeler, but then I thought he might get bored with it (not going fast enough etc). His mom thinks 2-wheeler, so I'll probably end up with a Razor.

Holly

I think I'm going to get the Huffy scooter from Target (if my store really has one in stock, the website says they do). There are 2 at Target apparently. Both are $35 and have mickey mouse but one says it has an adjustable handlebar and pvc wheels. The other does not mention adjustable handlebars and it has polyurethane (spelling?) wheels. Pvc is the more durable type like what razor scooters have, right?

Holly

I saw the huffy scooter at Target yesterday. It was in a box so I couldn't really see it well. It says on the box that the weight limit is 44 lbs. Josh is around 30, so that would be ok but the radio flyer weight limit is 60, so I think I'll get that instead. Sorry to hijack this thread.

Athena

I saw the huffy scooter at Target yesterday. It was in a box so I couldn't really see it well. It says on the box that the weight limit is 44 lbs. Josh is around 30, so that would be ok but the radio flyer weight limit is 60, so I think I'll get that instead. Sorry to hijack this thread.

When I read this, I checked ours because my girls would both be closing in on that weight limit. However, according to their website, our model and some of their others are 60 pound weight limits. Phew! :) The mickey models I'm seeing online look smaller to me and like there isn't as much to them, so it wouldn't surprise me if those are made for smaller kids. I hope you find something you like!

Holly

When I read this, I checked ours because my girls would both be closing in on that weight limit. However, according to their website, our model and some of their others are 60 pound weight limits. Phew! :) The mickey models I'm seeing online look smaller to me and like there isn't as much to them, so it wouldn't surprise me if those are made for smaller kids. I hope you find something you like!

Target also had a huffy scooter that looked a lot like the mickey one but it was cars and had a big plastic thing attached to the handles with music and a car inside it. That one said up to 60 lbs.

bcrammond

My just turned 4 year old got the Fisher Price Grow-with-Me 3-in-1 Skateboard for his birthday. He likes it a lot. It is $35 on amazon right now.

keri1292

Good choice. We had the 3 wheeled Razors and they were a waste of money. Your average 3-4yo should be able to pick up a scooter and figure out in a day or two. :)

Phineasmama

My 3 just about to be 4 year old and my 5 almost 6 year old have had regular Razor scooters for a couple months now. No complaints! I had one when I was like 12 ish too haha.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC