Adopting- getting car seat to destination

P

psupachic

We received a car seat from a family member, and are looking for some advice.
We will have to fly to pick up our newborn. Will we be able to gate check a car seat if we fine yet have an infant? What is the best way to go about gate checking it? Do we need a bag or a box? Would we be better off mailing it to our destination?
Thanks!

ADS

jacqui276

If you have to gate check the seat, I would put it in a box to help absorb any damage that may be done to it from rough handling. I would imagine that that would be similar safety-wise to shipping it to your destination in a box.

Bumping this up though so that someone else can maybe offer more advice.

Congrats on the adoption by the way! :)

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
Often, you can't gate-check a seat without the child being with you. Do you know in advance when/where the infant will be? I would probably box up the seat and ship it to your destination in advance, if possible. Otherwise, I would box it up and check it as luggage.

jordansmom

Have you already purchased the seat? I might look into returning it if you have and purchasing one once you arrive at your destination. Then you don't have to worry about getting it there. Congratulations!

canadiangie

I would box it up with some padding and check it as luggage. :) (if you can't gate check it)

If you have any questions about the seat you were given, please feel free to post the model of it. You can also post what you drive as well if you like. :)

mamom

Are you picking child up at the hospital? If so they might have a low cost seat you could purchase for the trip home, then at home your could either gift it or craigslist it. This might save you a lot of hassle. I would call the hospital to be sure this is an option.

jordansmom

Sounds like OP has been given a seat by a family member.

Yes, thanks, but wasn't sure if it was a "hand me down seat" or a new seat in which case OP might consider returning it in it's unopened box and re-purchasing the same seat once at their destination with the store credit or giftcard from returning the original seat. Just throwing another idea out there since gate checking wouldn't be my first (or second) choice.

nmb

You can gate-check if you're adopting, just tell them that's what you are doing when you get to the gate. We just did the same, gate-checked a stroller, not a carseat (IA, we brought an RSTV too but just packed it, no seatbelts in the back of many cars to use a seat). Every flight, they asked where the kid was, and we just told them we were adopting, going to get the kid. =) One of the connecting flights, when we said it, the whole line behind us started applauding and congratulated us; warmed my heart for the rest of the journey. You do get some strange looks, pushing a stroller around w.out a kid. =)
(I know of several other families - online - that have done the same. Some w/ carseats too, if adopting infants or little toddlers. We adopted a 6 yr old, so...lugging a seat that size for cars w/out seatbelts didn't make sense).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC