Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Infantino 'Ergo' carriers?

Are the Infantino Ergonomic carriers any good? They are tons cheaper than a real Ergo so I was just wondering if anyone has used one and if they actually are nice or not.
    Mom to:
    Hannah 11 Graco Connext, Abby 10 Graco Connext, Josh 7 Recaro Performance Booster, and Zach 2 1/2 Sunshine Kids Radian 80.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Are the Infantino Ergonomic carriers any good? They are tons cheaper than a real Ergo so I was just wondering if anyone has used one and if they actually are nice or not.
    I have an Infantino and an Ergo. The Infantino feels cheaper, but it does the job. I haven't used either long term, their regular use was 1-3hrs on Sunday.
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus
    Nanny to BabyD, 21 months in a RXT, Classic Marathon, Boulevard 70

CPS Fanatic
    I choose not to support them as a company but that another story. They are not the same. I'd rather get a used ergo or Boba.

Senior Community Member Keeks64's Avatar
    I don't even think they are comparable IMO - the infantino is just cheap & cheaply made....lack of padding/support & safety features

My cousin has their carrier & sling & was amazed by my ergo & sewfunky sling....she sold both & is trying to fund an ergo now

R: 09/2008, 40lbs & 44"
    D: 07/2012 27lbs & 33"

VanIsleMommy
    I had an infantino and the buckle constantly dug onto my hip. I also chose not to support the company since them but that's another issue. I would go for the ergo!!

Carseat Crazy

Re: Infantino 'Ergo' carriers?

can I ask why so many people don't like infantino as a company? just curious. I don't like their products either, I think they skimp on safety

Quote Originally Posted by D&L's-mommy View Post
    can I ask why so many people don't like infantino as a company? just curious. I don't like their products either, I think they skimp on safety
    They do skimp on safety.
    Long story short is that the "wrap & tie" is a copy of the catbird baby MT. Catbird baby is a small operation, started as a WAHM business. Beth, the owner, is a lovely person and an active member of TBW.

Some TBW gurus tested out the wrap & tie and were able to tear it apart by hand. Turns out the triple stitching was not done through all the layers. That's an intentional design change on their part (it must save money somehow).

Then there was also the issue of the slingrider aka bag of death. A few kids died while in it as it does not promote proper positioning. They did not recall the product until something like 5 kids suffocated.
    Mom to Caterina born January 12, 2009 and FF in a TWE and Julian born September 6, 2012 and RF in a Varioguard

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by newyorkDOC View Post
    They do skimp on safety.
    Long story short is that the "wrap & tie" is a copy of the catbird baby MT. Catbird baby is a small operation, started as a WAHM business. Beth, the owner, is a lovely person and an active member of TBW.

Some TBW gurus tested out the wrap & tie and were able to tear it apart by hand. Turns out the triple stitching was not done through all the layers. That's an intentional design change on their part (it must save money somehow).

Then there was also the issue of the slingrider aka bag of death. A few kids died while in it as it does not promote proper positioning. They did not recall the product until something like 5 kids suffocated.
    I had heard about the slingrider deaths, it's terrible. I am also familiar with catbird,but didn't realize that the wrap and tie was a copy of her mai tai. That's really scary how easily the infantino comes apart. I made my MT, used 4 layers of unholstery fabric, and x-box stitches throughout. I'm all for a good bargain,but not if it's risking my child's safety

Quote Originally Posted by D&L's-mommy View Post

I had heard about the slingrider deaths, it's terrible. I am also familiar with catbird,but didn't realize that the wrap and tie was a copy of her mai tai. That's really scary how easily the infantino comes apart. I made my MT, used 4 layers of unholstery fabric, and x-box stitches throughout. I'm all for a good bargain,but not if it's risking my child's safety
    Yeah she explained how it happened on the forums. Basically they ordered 2 from her using their corporate web address. She thought they were trying to learn. So she fulfilled the orders. I think they tried to order a third that she didn't fulfill bc she knew that they were copying it by then (I think the first batch had hit target already). They were originally like $9 at target so can you imagine how much it costs them to make?
    Mom to Caterina born January 12, 2009 and FF in a TWE and Julian born September 6, 2012 and RF in a Varioguard

VanIsleMommy
    My reason for disliking the brand is because of the above issue with them mass producing a wahm product and like others said, the infantino sling. I remember watching videos of nurses pleading with people not to use the sling using an instrument that measured oxygen levels in the sling never mind babies in a poor position. I almost bought one before that. Then when babies were dying in them for years before they finally recalled it, not acceptable.

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by newyorkDOC View Post
    Yeah she explained how it happened on the forums. Basically they ordered 2 from her using their corporate web address. She thought they were trying to learn. So she fulfilled the orders. I think they tried to order a third that she didn't fulfill bc she knew that they were copying it by then (I think the first batch had hit target already). They were originally like $9 at target so can you imagine how much it costs them to make?
    $9?? that's crazy! It cost me nearly $40 in just material to make mine, I know they must get discounts for wholesale, but that's just insane

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleMommy View Post
    My reason for disliking the brand is because of the above issue with them mass producing a wahm product and like others said, the infantino sling. I remember watching videos of nurses pleading with people not to use the sling using an instrument that measured oxygen levels in the sling never mind babies in a poor position. I almost bought one before that. Then when babies were dying in them for years before they finally recalled it, not acceptable.
    I saw a young mom using one of their sling bags years ago, when my 1st was very young, so maybe 7 or 8 years ago, and I thought to myself, that can't be safe, the fabric was draped over the top, I had to stare at her for a minute or 2 to realize there was even a baby in there somewhere. Then when I heard about the recall, I wasn't at all surprised. It's terrible. I'm glad I came across this thread, I was planning to buy an infantino sync to use with my 2 week old niece, I'll get a new moby to use til I feel she's big enough for the MT.

The Infantino Ergonomic is on clearance at Target. Just saying.
    PEG - Gramma to:
    Hannah - 16 - Seatbelt! Reya - 1.5 4Ever/BLVD/Peg
    Brett - 15 - Seatbelt Nolan - 2.5 - 4Ever/Fllo
    Matt- 11 - Seatbelt Baby Boy due 1/17/19 Pipa
    Griffin - 6 - Parkway SG

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica61624 View Post
    I choose not to support them as a company but that another story. They are not the same. I'd rather get a used ergo or Boba.
    This exactly. No love for Infantino here.