How my well woman exam turned into a seat check

msg221

I had a well woman exam today. Well, I was supposed to anyway. I went to the appointment and as I was going over everything in the file to update it if need be, I noticed that my last exam was December 2nd of last year, meaning if I had this appt today, my insurance would not cover it since it has been less than a year since my last appt. I confirmed with the woman at the front, and so I had to reschedule my appointment for two weeks from today.

While I was in the waiting room, I noticed an older woman sitting with a newborn baby in a car seat. As I was waiting to get on the elevator, she was there too and I noticed how loose the harness was on the baby and that the chest clip was on her belly. When we got outside, I decided to go ahead and nicely point out that she might want to tighten the harness on the baby and made sure to let her know that I was a tech. She was very receptive and when she heard I was a tech, she got all excited and asked if I would take a look at the base in her car because she didn't think it was installed correctly. I told her sure, and when I checked it, sure enough, it was sliding all over the back seat! She said the baby's father installed it but it was like he just routed it through the belt path and then just buckled it in! (It was some sort of rear adjust SR) As I was showing the grandmother how to install the base, this young woman walked by and gave me an odd look. It turned out to be the mother of the baby and that is probably why she was giving me a look as if to say "who the heck are you and why are you in my mom's car?" Her mom explained that I was a tech and was helping her to install the base and that "she knew it wasn't in there right!" The baby's mother was also very receptive and I went over it all with her showing her everything, from making sure the angle was correct for her noob, where the chest clip should be, and how to test for snugness in the harness. Grandma thanked me over and over, especially since I was using my lunch hour for my doctor's appt and then stayed to help them! I didn't mind at all because there was no way I could let that baby ride around in a completely incorrectly installed seat!

ADS

msg221

I realize why I didn't catch it at the time I made the appointment. Last year I was supposed to have my exam in November and I made the appointment for 2012 before that exam (I think in October 2011), knowing this doctor books a year or more out for well woman exams (I'm guessing because all the other appts go to pregnant mothers to be and those coming in for something else). Well, I remember my exam in 2011 was rescheduled because my doctor ended up having to deliver a baby during my originally scheduled appt, so that is why it ended up being in December. And of course I didn't remember that my 2012 appt was in November!

Oh well, like you said, one more baby is riding safer!

jjordan

Wow, that's great! (Well, the part about having to reschedule your exam kind of stinks. But the rest is great!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC