Keeping a convertible car seat at far-away family's house?

abbyful

DS is currently 3 months old. And we plan to start trying for baby #2 next year.

I fly to visit my sister out-of-state once a year sometimes twice. (Our next trip currently isn't planned yet.) I know it's best for DS to have his own seat, but I'm not sure if I will be able to convince DH to buy DS his own plane ticket since they have the lap-riding option for babies. :(

I won't check a car seat through normal luggage, DH says we can just gate-check it. That makes me nervous too, because it could still get roughed around and because it might get stolen (my sister gate-checked a car seat when her kids were little, and that was the last time she ever saw it).

So another idea I have is to buy a cheaper ($100-$150) convertible car seat and leave it at my sister's house. DH thinks this is the craziest idea I've had yet! It's not so crazy, is it? Sure, it would only get used a handful of times, but cheaper than buying a plane ticket. And cheaper than replacing our expensive car seat if it disappears in-transit.

ADS

vmmatula

I understand your problems with your husband's opinion. I'm not sure the best fix as far as the actual flying part but if you pursue a new purchase, maybe a happy medium would be to get a really inexpensive seat to leave at your sister's like the Scenera? It really is a decent no frills seat and has high tops slots means it'll last thru a few trips too...so $40 well-spent....plus it is lightweight and FAA approved incase you talk him into a separate seat or for use on your trips after you have no option but to buy a seat.

Kaitsmom

In an attempt to change your husbands mind about having a seat for your son have hin sit in a chair holding your son for the same length of time a flight takes, and keeping himself and the baby entertained

rosey2007

Kaitsmom said:
In an attempt to change your husbands mind about having a seat for your son have hin sit in a chair holding your son for the same length of time a flight takes, and keeping himself and the baby entertained

Im with that

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Kaitsmom said:

And if you can't, just make sure you sit somewhere else and he gets kid. There is more benefit than just safety. ;)

I flew to Alabama with a lap baby once and there's been a Carseat there ever since. Never used it again. Luckily it is an aoe so it'll be around if I need it. That is crazy. You'll actually use the seat again. :)

ayeree

We've got an extra seat at my DH's family. We're expecting it to last us until DD is about 4 and by then we'll hopefully have another kid to inherit it :)

Eclipsepearl

I got a cheap seat, not the Scenera but similar, and kept it at my parents' house. We visited twice a year from Europe.

I didn't fly with lap babies (well, once when I couldn't buy a ticket on a U.S. company or LH) but that meant one less seat to bring on the aircraft.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC