Separation Anxiety.. From a Car Seat?

I hope I don't sound like a total nut-job. Does anyone else have a real problem letting go of seats, even if you never really use them?

I have a late '08 TrueFit that has literally been hanging out in my living room since I bought it dirt-cheap at Zellers last year. I will occasionally use it, but not often at all. I really just wanted one to play with :cool: but now I feel like I should sell it. It's good until 2015, so it could still be useful to someone, but I can't let it go? :scratcheshead: I feel like I might need it, even though I have tons of other seats.

I'm not a hoarder in general, aside from car seats. I'll throw out/give away anything I haven't used in a while, I keep only the clothes I wear on a regular basis, no stacks of paper, etc.. and hardly have any storage bins in my storage rooms, they're both 10x10 ish rooms, and not even half full (and the vast majority of that space is car seat boxes.... :whistle: and the other bit is decorations and ski gear.

Anyone else have this issue? Or am I just totally bananas.. :eek:

ADS

Baylor

I do think it is easy to become obsessed with them and get crazy. I have 3 harnessed seats at the moment and a hbb and 2 lbb..
I have a 4.5 yr old who rides harnessed 95% of the time and in the hbb some times.. and a 8.5 yr old that rides in the Hbb and lbb..

I have way to many.. Before coming here. Each child had one seat.

I think this place with all the info and sharing breeds car seat mania sometimes. We just want to try every flavor and color.. :)

YinzerMama

Some of them I just like to admire the design. I don't own many though.

I had 2 nautiluses for a while that I waffled on a lot before returning. I think it's a very pleasing seat to look at. It COULD be the perfect seat to use, with some tweaks. But it just has too many little flaws.

I like to look at pictures of them though.

jacqui276

I have been good and have sold my seats that I don't use, but it does make me sad! I mainly sold a couple of them as it was the only way I could convince DH to let me buy more. :p

Phineasmama

I have sold seats and regretted it! So I try and wait a little to decide. But my problem is I have nowhere to put them. We have 840 sq ft, no garage, small storage locker in the basement. So usually I have 3 seats in each car and 2 in the basement as extras. Any more than that and I'm in trouble!

Brianna

The only seat I've been able to part with was an Evenflo Discovery 5... I was glad to see it go :)

I do only have one seat right now that is completely outgrown by J that I won't be getting rid of- the Tribute. I also have a HBTB that I picked up "just in case" even though J isn't old enough.

Baylor

This is probably why I have to GN's.. I really don't need them, But I can not seem to get rid of them. They have the old buckle, So for some reason.. they seem special.. :)

YinzerMama

This is probably why I have to GN's.. I really don't need them, But I can not seem to get rid of them. They have the old buckle, So for some reason.. they seem special.. :)

That is how i feel about my sbugride35! i has the old buckle. i will miss it when it goes.

christineka

My biggest problem is that I might need the seat later on and I hate selling for a considerably lower price than what I paid and then years later needing to spend the big bucks again on a new seat! I'm slowly getting rid of my spare harnessed seats. My kids are just getting bigger and older and I'm not having more babies. It's also hard to have seats, sitting in my livingroom, unused.

jkrkmama

You're not crazy. I was so sad when my marathons expired and I missed them. I sold the replacement seat and ran to Target to get another one.

StillThankful

A Resounding YES!

I need to sell two seats on CL but keep thinking of a reason to keep them around..............................still thinking.:p

bnsnyde

I have a pink Scenera in the basement with a garage sale price tag on it. It didn't sell. It's good for a few more years. My only girl just hit 41 lbs. So I guess the seat is still ours.

And yet...maybe baby #5 will be a girl. Maybe I'll need a seat in an urgent situation for the baby boy and pink won't matter.

It's a travel seat for planes or the rare urgent situation. Funny thing is I don't even like it much, but it's easy to install and light. Hence, planes.

tam_shops

A bit of a pack rat here!

Though, this will make you feel better, b/c of the Canadian 2012 compliance regulations, you technically (legally) can not sell or give that seat away. It falls under some Transport Canada Hazardous goods act. Enjoy! If you want more information/detail, post on the Canadian board.

tam

cowgirlsmommy

I was finally able to part with our expired marathon the other month. I kept the cover though. We have many extra seats that I can't part with.

YinzerMama

I have an extra classic marathon that I go back and forth about selling. It only has 2 years on it. Nothing wrong with it but I know the best I would likely get for it is $50. OTOH I could wait till it's expired, have it if I need it, and then get $50 for the cover (cow).

So I am not exactly hoarding, there's just no compelling reason to sell it now vs. later.

tam_shops said:
A bit of a pack rat here!

Though, this will make you feel better, b/c of the Canadian 2012 compliance regulations, you technically (legally) can not sell or give that seat away. It falls under some Transport Canada Hazardous goods act. Enjoy! If you want more information/detail, post on the Canadian board.

tam
Forgot about that :eek:

Hmm.. yes, that's a wonderful excuse to keep it.. ahem.. I mean.. laws are laws ;) :whistle:

I found a very vintage Century NextStep in the basement not long ago that I was able to "let go" of. I had way too much fun cutting/smashing all of its parts. Baby steps, baby steps.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC