3 yrs 2mo in backless booster...

MorgieBear'sMama

I noticed a picture then called my friend about it to see what's the reason behind it. He says the kid is 55 lbs and outgrew his seat. This is a dad that sees his kids twice a month and really thought that was the next step. The kids mom doesn't seem to be into car safety what-so-ever.

I talked to him, stressed the importance of a 5 point harness for a child that age and even sent him YouTube links. The dad wants to do better, but just doesn't have the cash to buy a new seat.

What do you all recommended in this situation? Short of giving away my Radian, there's nothing I can do to help. I have a Monterey, which is not ideal, but is much better than a backless for his age (kid puts the seat belt behind his back). Is there a seat cheaper than a GN that would work for him? Even a GN will only harness him for 10 more lbs. Is there anywhere that can help him? They live in Savannah, GA.

ADS

Phineasmama

The SecureKid is probably going to be cheaper and harnesses to 65...

Otherwise if they can't afford that I'd just encourage them to buy a high back Turbo, it would at LEAST be better than a low back.

Unless you really want to give them a seat. But if I gave a seat to every person I see with misuse...I'd be penniless by now.

canadiangie

First and foremost, if dad hasn't personally weighed his ds he should do so asap and before he purchases a seat.

I see so many kids that "have to be like 50 lbs!" when in reality they might be 40lbs.

Also, how tall is this child?

MorgieBear'sMama

canadiangie said:
First and foremost, if dad hasn't personally weighed his ds he should do so asap and before he purchases a seat.

I see so many kids that "have to be like 50 lbs!" when in reality they might be 40lbs.

Also, how tall is this child?

Excellent point! Kiddo is back with mom for 2 weeks, I'll have him weigh and measure him. In the meantime I will remove the backless booster and stick the Monterey in his van this weekend.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC