If we ever have another baby, I want a low weight limit infant seat!

paintedbison

With my first three kids, I used a graco snugride that only went to 20lbs, I think. This time around, it had expired, so a friend gave us a chicco key fit. That thing is soooooo heavy! I like to mostly carry the baby in the sling, but there are times when he is so fast asleep in his carseat that I would love to carry him in somewhere. But, I can barely lift the thing!

I don't really get the high weight limits on infant carriers if they are too heavy to carry! I'm afraid that by the time we have our next baby, they will all have high weight limits! I just want a light one to get me through the first three months and then I can switch to a convertible!

ADS

Jessica61624

I don't undrestand why it matters what the limit is on the seat? You can switch anytime. The keyfit is heavy. The aton is the lightest infant seat. they're pretty cool. If you're looking to save money the evenflo embrace 35 or the comftt carry elite, make sure with both its front adjust, are good seats.

Eta you can always leave the seat in the car instead of using it like a bucket.

paintedbison

I don't undrestand why it matters what the limit is on the seat? You can switch anytime. The keyfit is heavy. The aton is the lightest infant seat. they're pretty cool. If you're looking to save money the evenflo embrace 35 or the comftt carry elite, make sure with both its front adjust, are good seats.

Eta you can always leave the seat in the car instead of using it like a bucket.

I was thinking the higher weight limit is what is making the seats heavier? Because they have to be bigger? I want one I can carry a tiny baby around in.

Jessica61624

paintedbison said:
I was thinking the higher weight limit is what is making the seats heavier? Because they have to be bigger? I want one I can carry a tiny baby around in.

It's more the design and material used. The keyfit for example is incredibly short. My 5 month old is only 19lbs but he's outgrown the keyfit by height. He's only 27 inches. He's now is a shuttle 35 that's tall enough my 2.5 yr old fits in and it's lighter.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Snugride 30 isn't much heavier than SR22, might give it a look. Of course the 22 is still available, but usually with a rear adjuster. It's the same as the 20 but with a taller shell (because the government got peeved at teensy infant seats that didn't do what they claimed to and had to regulate them to be taller to fit the 1 year old dummy, instead of the sandbag of a 9 month old dummy, so yeah, seats that have to hold much higher weights probably DO have to weigh a little more).
Jessica, I think you have a kid with an incredibly long torso, the Key Fit gets most kids to a year and I don't know anyone else that considers it super short (especially those of us who remember what a short infant seat actually looked like when most kids outgrew them at 2-6 months, like the old SR20 or Peg 20 ;))

tam_shops

For the seats I used, I agree, the higher the weight limit of the seat, the bigger (taller) it is and the heavier it is to lift/carry.

I had a Peg 20# vs the 22# and 30# ones.

Then, I borrowed a 20# Snugride, was given a 22#SR and a 30# SafeSeat1. Really, though, they were only 1-2# heavier each, but those few #s add up quickly...

I'm sure like PP said,if you look hard/long enough you'll find a smaller/lighter seat next time around.

I never carried my buckets, they were too big/heavy for me. I always picked them up w/ two hands and dropped it into the stroller. Put my sling/Ergo on and went into the building. If it was a 2min drop off/pick-up baby stayed put, if we were going in and staying in, baby went into the sling...

I had the Maclaren Easy Traveller, loved it!

tam

TXmom2

Is the Keyfit22 not still available? I like the bucket for the itty bitty days. Especially for running in to pay at the gas station or quick errands when you really hate to wake a sleeping baby or the weather is bad.

Anything longer than that, I babywear anyway. And I don't carry the babe in the bucket after about 5 or 6 months max. So I don't see the need in a higher weight limit on a bucket, but that's just me...

Last edited:

YinzerMama

Has the SR22 changed at all? I went with the 22 for my girls thinking I'd never carry 2 babies to the max of the 35 and was then annoyed to learn the 22 doesn't fit as SMALL a baby as the 35. So unless they have changed that, or you have tall babies, I'd skip it. I don't think the weight difference between the small and big buckets is that significant esp. if you stop using it fairly soon anyway.

bnsnyde

My babies are close to 10 lbs. at birth and tall, and I've never used an infant seat past 17 lbs, ever. My daughter was almost a year before we switched. The boys, younger.

Why did I think I needed a big seat? I can't carry them past that weight anyway! I think I want an Aton for baby #5. But I have a Chaperone and it fits cheap strollers. I don't know what I want, lol. We are in the car a LOT. I must have an infant seat.
Drop of 2 kids to school. Then drop off third to other school.
Drop off 4th kid to other school.
Then pick up daughter. Then pick up son. Then pick up other son. Then pick up first born son. That's just school and does not include activities or the gym (3 times a week). Baby lives in the car. Sad. But I could not take him/her in and out of a convertible 10+ times a day when he/she is a newborn or tiny baby. It's just too hard. And in winter, forget it!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Has the SR22 changed at all? I went with the 22 for my girls thinking I'd never carry 2 babies to the max of the 35 and was then annoyed to learn the 22 doesn't fit as SMALL a baby as the 35. So unless they have changed that, or you have tall babies, I'd skip it. I don't think the weight difference between the small and big buckets is that significant esp. if you stop using it fairly soon anyway.

Nope, the 22 still has the high bottom slots and the far-out crotch strap and is iffy for fit on a wee one. That's why the 30 is such a vast improvement (and even way better than the 35) :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC