Question XTSL RF new issue

mlohry

So we have been borrowing an XTSL from a member here and no issue installing it RF with a seat belt in the drivers side captains chair. We were debating if we should buy the seat and tried it FF and ever since with RF it's causing all kinds of problems. I put the RF boot back on. Am I right there is only 1 way to put it on? I know that metal slider thing goes into that 1 spot and it is. Is there any other way to put that thing on? Is there a separate recline on the seat we could have switched?

The issues we are having now, that we didn't have at all before are: it is seriously leaning, the seat belt gets stuck in the belt path, we now have to twist the belt stalk to keep it out of the RF belt path. Its also hitting the passenger seat. DH and I are not tall people and it's totally hitting the seat now, van seats are in the exact same positions. Any thoughts, why it was ok before and a PITB now?

Might have to FF DD if we can't get it to not hit the front seat. We are out of town with only this seat. She is 3.8, but we are committed to keeping her RF to 4. We can use our MA70 if we can't get the XTSL issues resolved. I was really liking the XTSL for the extra leg room before.

ADS

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
I don't think it's even possible to attach the recline boot if the seat is in the FF reclined position. I'm pretty sure the bottom has to be flush in order to get the boot attached and locked in.

Sorry to hear you're having issues. Hopefully you can figure out what changed. Good luck!

mlohry

Kecia said:
I don't think it's even possible to attach the recline boot if the seat is in the FF reclined position. I'm pretty sure the bottom has to be flush in order to get the boot attached and locked in.

Sorry to hear you're having issues. Hopefully you can figure out what changed. Good luck!

Well I tried it and it can go on there, but I know that's not acceptable, so I'll just have to see if I can get it to work 1 more time. Otherwise I'll FF her for the trip back.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Do your captain's chairs slide front to back? That would change the seat belt geometry and also the front to back space. Also what about recline of the captain's chair? I'm sorry I don't know what you drive to comment further. Also try shoving the seat over away from the buckle stalk as far as you can while still maintaining good contact with the seat.

Is the crotch buckle hanging down into the belt path, getting the seat belt stuck as you feed it through? Maybe it wasn't before but now is.

Hopefully something works!

mlohry

It's a 05 Ody. The captains chair is pushed back as far as possible. I seriously don't know what's going on with it. Every single time we install it, it is different. Today the buckle stalk stayed out of the belt path but it was way too loose. We tried LATCH RF again, there is no way to pull it tight enough, because it sucks up into the belt path. So we made the decision to FF her for now. She will get her MA70 back and RF in there.

That XTSL is the most finicky seat I have ever met!

Thanks for the luck!

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I have an 03 Ody and I don't know if the seats are the same. What I do to tighten in is slide the front seat forward to give myself room and get in behind the seat with the top of the Radian at my pelvis. I push it down and in with my body while pulling up on the strap. I have a hard time tightening it without positioning myself like this. On my seat (an Oct 09 XT) the tilt lock sits just outside of the belt path. It's solid this way though, and more reclined that I prefer. We use the angle adjuster.

Syllieann

I have one in the same vehicle and position. I get the best installation using latch and to tighten I stand over the back of the radian to push it into the bight while I pull on the latch strap. If you are standing that direction the angle is great for tightening the latch. I do find it difficult to tighten the latch while standing outside the vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC