Need help installing a Evenflo in a 2008 Toyota Corolla

steph

Hi I need to help my SIL install her friends Evenflo infant carseat in a 2008 Toyota Corolla. I have never installed an Evenflo.....tips? How many pool noodles can I use if needed.

Also does anyone have any links/info as to why the Chicco Keyfit is a better carseat (I know why I just need a comparision)? My SIL is offering her friend her Keyfit but her friend doesn't get how awesome of a seat a Keyfit is to just be given.

TIA

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The Evenflo base has an adjustment on it to help with the right recline. You have to push in a button and then kind of pull down on the little foot. Assuming it's a newer model, there'll be a 1 2 or 3 that will show through the window. I'm not sure how slanted her seats are in the Corolla, but that should be enough to get it installed.

If she's wanting to install it in the middle, check the manual to see if middle latch is allowed or not. Chances are she'll need to install it with a seatbelt in the middle, and that could be what the problem is.

Go through the manual with her while you install it and you should be fine. I think Evenflo has manuals available online if you have the model # and DOM info. :)

As for difference between Keyfit and Evenflo, I can't really compare the 2 because we don't have the Keyfit up here. I believe the Keyfit minimum weight is 4lbs, so it will probably fit tiny babies better - as in preemies, but a full term baby is going to fit fine in an evenflo carrier. If her evenflo seat has the front adjust, I'd probably rather use a new evenflo seat than a used keyfit unless it's a really super super close friend.

For the length of time that babies are in a carrier, I don't know that it's worth getting into a debate since she already has the evenflo and doesn't want to use the keyfit. My suggestion would be to have her look at the keyfit, and have her buckle a doll into each and see how she likes adjusting the harness on both - and maybe try installing both in her car. There's nothing wrong with an evenflo carrier, they're just not as nice... If anything will change your friends mind, it will be the difference in ease of installation and use. And I'm still iffy on the used seat vs. new seat she already has. :twocents:

eta: I just re-read your post and realize the seat is coming from your SIL, so you have a pretty good idea of the history of the seat. I still wouldn't push it though. Regardless of what personal preferences are, the best seat is one that fits the child, fits the car and will be used correctly each and every time. If the evenflo carrier meets these criteria, there's really nothing wrong with it.

steph

Thanks!

The Keyfit was mine then SIL's so I know the history but your right there is nothing wrong with the Evenflo, it's just that the Keyfit is nicer and so much more user friendly.

Does the Evenflo base have a lockoff???? Also it has a back adjuster so do you adjust that each and every time?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Evenflo base doesn't have a lock-off, and if it has a back adjuster, it's adjusted as often as need be. I find with newborns it's easier to loosen and tighten the harness each time they're taken out of the seat, but with back adjusters this can be hard to do. (Hard as in a PITA to loosen and tighten each time and keep both straps equal lengths. Just not as user friendly...)

Given the known history of the seat, maybe just take it over with you, just to show her. If she has a back adjuster on the evenflo seat, once she plays with a front adjust one she'll probably appreciate it more. Who knows though...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC