Outlook owners...

TN Mary

I looked at an Outlook yesterday and really, I couldn't stop drooling. Those things are GORGEOUS!! :love: I couldn't stop looking and touching it.... a very fine automobile indeed.

But then I came off my cloud when I saw how much it was going to be for the options I wanted (leather, DVD, moonroof, etc). Got pricey REAL quick.

But more than that... the trunk was just about my deal breaker.
For those of you with just 2 kiddos, this won't apply.
But I've got 3 kids, meaning all 3 rows would need to be used in some form or fashion. So we wouldn't be able to fold down that 3rd row for my trunk space. Which I was not very happy about since I LOVE LOVE this car.

I just couldn't see packing up for a beach, camping or grandparents trip for a week with that little bitty trunk. I know "little" is relative... but when you compare it to minivan trunks - especially the ones that are DEEP - the Outlook loses hands down in the trunk dept.

Any of you Outlook owners have this issue? And those of you who came from minivans, do you miss the sliding doors?

Thanks guys.... ;)

Mary

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Did you look at a 7-passenger Outlook with second row captain's chairs, per chance? There is an 8-passenger version, too, with seating for three in the second row. I know at least one of the Outlook owners on this board (or another one I mainly lurk on, lol) has posted about fitting 3 carseats in the second row of the 8-passenger model. Perhaps the 8-passenger model would be workable for you, too? Then the third row could be folded for extra cargo room as needed.

TN Mary

Only thing about that is, I would need to fit 2 Regents plus a Compass Booster all in one row.

Plus my kids would be constantly shoulder to shoulder and I'm not sure if that would make momma happy! :hitselfonhead: ;)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I hear you on the sibling harmony/disharmony when they're seated side by side. We were on the road a lot today and used DH's car with my two DDs side by side, lol. I don't know if 2 Regents would work three across in the Outlook's second row, either, but it might be worth experimenting at the dealership with your carseats to try different carseat configurations. The third row may be a split row where part can be tumbled for extra cargo, while part can be left up for seating passengers, but I'm not positive. I haven't climbed into the Outlook at the dealership to explore it that thoroughly myself. Happy vehicle shopping. :)

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Did you lift up the cover in behind the 3rd row? There is more cargo area under that cover. It could hold some of the smaller stuff like backpacks or duffle bags.

I have taken the Outlook off my list just due to the fact that I can't haggle the price down. So, We will be getting the GMC Acadia next year. We had 1 for a week and I had no issues with loading up all the things that we had to carry for our trip to visit my IL's. Plus you can fold one of the 3rd row seats down while still using the other.

TN Mary

I did look under the cover in the trunk... it seemed to be only about 4 inches deep (?) Could be wrong. But it didn't seem near the space of a minivan trunk.

I thought about folding part of the 3rd seat down to utilize more space... but I also don't like the idea of our "cargo" (luggage, loose objects, etc) practically open to the cabin.

I would feel better with all of our stuff stowed behind a complete upright row of seats.

And I thought the Acadia was more pricey than the Outlook? Those Acadias are gorgeous too... if only one could fall out of the sky and land on my driveway. You wouldn't hear me complain!! :love:

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
:D
I did look under the cover in the trunk... it seemed to be only about 4 inches deep (?) Could be wrong. But it didn't seem near the space of a minivan trunk.

I thought about folding part of the 3rd seat down to utilize more space... but I also don't like the idea of our "cargo" (luggage, loose objects, etc) practically open to the cabin.

I would feel better with all of our stuff stowed behind a complete upright row of seats.

And I thought the Acadia was more pricey than the Outlook? Those Acadias are gorgeous too... if only one could fall out of the sky and land on my driveway. You wouldn't hear me complain!! :love:
. But, I still love it and will miss it when it's gone.

The Acadia is a little bit more expensive as it does have more standard features then the Outlook. But, With Saturn the price on the sticker is the price you pay. There is no haggling the price down. It's like Carmax it is what it is. But, The GMC Acadia you can haggle the price down and probably could a more loaded out Acadia for less or equal to the Outlook.

My hopes is to find a demo Acadia with only a few thousand miles on it for a good deal. No matter what we will be getting the new GM crossover. We loved everything about it but we are only a family of 4 (maybe down the road we will add another to our family). I currently have a Tahoe which I love but it lacks cargo area when the 3rd row is in use and the gas mileage SUCKS (literally!)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
We have no need for our 3rd row right now, so it hasn't been a problem. I think if we had to use it and needed more space though, we'd probably rent a small trailer. Our truck came with the towing package, and it has a 5000lb capacity, so that'd help..lol.

We went camping in July and we were full.. couldn't have fit much if anything else in, but we did it with a big bag of cloth diapers and a tent and screen shelter and all the other misc stuff that you take camping including 2 pretty big water containers and a stroller. I think major trips would be hard though without more storage if you had to use the whole 3rd row. We mainly keep booster cables and windshield washer fluid in our little trunk area...

We had a saturn extended warranty that transferred from our car over to our truck and gave us a big discount... I've sometimes wondered about if you were real good at haggling how low you could get the GM price... but I'll admit to not having a clue how to haggle a price down, which is why we bought a Saturn in the first place over 4yrs ago now. ;) Who knows about our next vehicle though..

FirstTimeDaddy

A hitch mount cargo carrier could be your solution when
the trip calls for more cargo space than what's available behind the 3rd row.

We had an Acura MDX that sits 7. Like most of the 7 seater mid-SUV there's limited space behind the 3rd row. We used
the roof cargo carrier and it worked wonderfully for long trips.
We would have bought this one instead if we knew about the product
http://www.cargogear.com/OneItemInfo.aspx?partnum=ROADVS

The loading/unloading should be much easier.:)

Kleine hexe

Does the 3rd row have 3 headrests across? When I look at pics online I only see 2 headrests in the 3rd row. I' prefer 3 rests across.

Anyone ever fit a Regent back there?

snowbird25ca

Does the 3rd row have 3 headrests across? When I look at pics online I only see 2 headrests in the 3rd row. I' prefer 3 rests across.

Anyone ever fit a Regent back there?

Our 3rd row has only 2 headrests. We don't have Regent's in Canada, so I can't help you on that one. I know my MA installs center 3rd row easily.

Kleine hexe

Here's a pricing question. What would you pay for a 2007 Outlook with 10,650 miles? Oh, it has a sunroof so I guess that might make a difference.:rolleyes:

Kleine hexe

They are asking 26,995. It's a no go for me though as I do not want to the bench second row.

I'm not good at valuing vehicles. So I don't know.... A basic Outlook starts at 27K and I'm not sure how much the whole sunroof thing would add on.

Last edited:

snowbird25ca

They are asking 26,995. It's a no go for me though as I do not want to the bench second row.

I'm not good at valuing vehicles. So I don't know.... A basic Outlook starts at 27K and I'm not sure how much the whole sunroof thing would add on.

http://www.saturn.com/byo/byoSelect...=OUTLOOK&modelId=114&subModel=&subModelId=329

The Saturn website has a build your own option and then takes you to what's available at dealers in your area. Since Saturn has no haggle pricing, you can see by the site info exactly what they paid for the options they have. :thumbsup: (I saw you decided not to go with it, but thought I'd post it for future reference.. it's easy to do this with current Saturns anyways.)

I'd also ask how long they've had the vehicle, despite the overall miles, if they've only had it 6mos, then it's been driven quite a bit for that amount of time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC