Question Crossover recommendations-- Carseat and Dog

Audra

Hello,

We're looking for any car recommendations. Here's our backstory.

We have a 55 lb dog and are expecting our first child. We've quickly realized that our Honda Civic isn't going to be the safest option to transport both baby and dog. So, we're looking at getting a crossover vehicle, where the dog can be secured safely in the back (at this point we're planning on getting a barrier to contain the dog in the back).

The cars we are currently looking at are: Honda CR-V, Subaru Forrester & Hyundai Santa Fe. Right now we're considering the CR-V as our top contender, but we're concerned that the middle seatbelt comes from the ceiling. We're unsure if that will conflict with the barrier or if Honda recommends that child seats are secured there.

My question for the forum: Are there any particular crossovers that you recommend? Additionally-- any barriers that you recommend as well, or any particular harnesses to secure our dog?

Thank you in advance!

ADS

amyd

The CR-V has a center LATCH/UAS position so don't let the seatbelt be a deterrent (although you'll need to switch to the seatbelt at 40lbs, but you may have a second child by then or have yours in a booster anyway). Subaru typically suggests not installing in the center, not because it's unsafe, but because it's generally difficult with the way the seats are designed. The Santa Fe, I am not familiar with but I thought the center belt in that was a pull down as well.

Audra

Sorry-- for clarification, what do you mean by LATCH/UAS on the CR-V? I saw the seatbelt come from the ceiling, which was my concern.

First time mom here, so I'm learning the lingo of car seats and cars!

amyd

I mean there are LATCH anchors (or UAS if you're in Canada) in the center position in the CR-V. These are anchors you can use to install a car seat. You don't need to use the seatbelt until your child has outgrown the LATCH limit of either the vehicle or restraint. In the case of a Honda, that limit is 40lbs.

SavsMom

I had a 2010 Forester and loved it! I never had a problem installing any seat in that vehicle in the outboard seats, however center installs never worked, plus the owners manual did not recommend it. I would say that for just a little more $ you can get an Outback, my parents have one and it has a much better ride and more passenger room.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Do you need AWD? If not, throw the Toyota Prius V on the list if fuel economy is important. It has similar passenger and cargo space to a number of compact SUVs and gets significantly better gas mileage. The CR-V and Forester are great choices overall, though.

thtr4me

What about station wagons? I love love love my wagon (VW Passat). Gas mileage is not its strong point, but I like that it is car height, but with the benefit of more cargo room than my DH's SUV. We got it specifically because of the space in the back for our dog (dogs at the time of purchase). We were able to fit 2 full size dalmatians back there, with room to carry a few items with them as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC