Question XTSL FF and in an Ody

mlohry

I asked about this before, but I hadn't actually installed it FF. Now that I am considering buying one, I thought I better try it FF. I put the safe stop on and took the recline foot off. It is SO upright though! Is there any recline for FF? I think I'm just used to DD RF and FF she looks so upright.

The MA70 can be somewhat reclined FF right, that's my main seat.

Other question, I couldn't get the XTSL tight RF in our Ody captains chair, using LATCH, but was great with the seat belt. When I installed it FF, with the seat belt it seemed harder to install and when I went to tighten the harness the seat slid all over the place even though it was tight at the belt path and tethered. Not sure if LATCH is better for FF in the Ody.

Just want to make sure I'm making the right decision on seats before I purchase.

ADS

tracee877

My 4yo rides FF in one in my 06 Ody. He doesn't sleep in the car much but when I need to install it reclined I just pull down the recline foot and recline the captains chair until I get a good recline. I also find that installing with LATCH is much easier than seatbelt.

YinzerMama

can I piggy back and ask what's currently up with LATCH and these seats? I know people were having issues with them loosening for a while and the company denied a problem.

I'd be putting it in the middle row middle seat on a '12 Ody and do not want to use the seat belt - the seatbelt blocks the dvd player for the kid in the back row. when baby hits 40 pounds i'll move him to a different seat.

Wy`sMom

What year is your Ody? In my 2012 I have to twist the belt stalk down 3 times to get a ff radian to install properly in a captains chair. Latch can only be used to 40 lbs in all Hondas. I also know that a ff radian with seatbelt is incompatible in the third row of this van.

mlohry

My Ody is an 05, so different than the 12.

My issue is that it is tight when wiggled, like really tight, but slides when I tighten the harness.

Radians with Super latch have a known issue of occasionally loosening when touched very slightly, but I believe just in RF mode. I knew of this issue in Ody's. Tried to install it with the LATCH, but could not get it as tight as I could with the seat belt.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
With FF Radian installs you really need to check the tightness not only side-to-side but also front-to-back. In some cases the Radian appears tight when you tug side-to-side but when you check tightness front-to-back, it moves considerably more than the allowable 1". If you can't resolve that movement then the seat is incompatible with that seating position.

YinzerMama

They don't work in the 3rd row of the van? Bummer.

Sounds like this is not gonna be the seat for me. I really want to use LATCH while rf for this spot.

mlohry

Kecia said:
With FF Radian installs you really need to check the tightness not only side-to-side but also front-to-back. In some cases the Radian appears tight when you tug side-to-side but when you check tightness front-to-back, it moves considerably more than the allowable 1". If you can't resolve that movement then the seat is incompatible with that seating position.

Do you think I would get a better result with LATCH? I'll try it tonight.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Do you think I would get a better result with LATCH? I'll try it tonight.

Yes! FF with LATCH usually results in a tight Radian install. It's the FF seatbelt installs that are sometimes an issue. As you know, Honda limits LATCH to 40 lbs but with SuperLATCH I'd be comfortable going somewhat beyond that.

Good luck!

mlohry

Kecia said:
Yes! FF with LATCH usually results in a tight Radian install. It's the FF seatbelt installs that are sometimes an issue. As you know, Honda limits LATCH to 40 lbs but with SuperLATCH I'd be comfortable going somewhat beyond that.

Good luck!
That's for sure a consideration though. I am sure we will use the seat past 40lbs and I wouldn't want to push that...

THANKS!

stephpook

I have an '07 Ody (not sure how that compares with the '05) and the only place I can get a FF Radian installed with the seatbelt is the passenger side third row. It'll go pretty much anywhere with LATCH though.

YinzerMama

What exactly is the issue with installing with a seatbelt or can't it be described?

Funny you say the passenger side 3rd row you can get a seatbelt install -for some reason I feel more skilled putting a frontier on that side vs. the driver's side.

I wish Honda would change their LATCH stance to follow the car seat manufacturers preference.

mlohry

My issue was that side to side it was super tight, but it moved a lot from the bottom if you pulled it. It was top tethered. Can't imagine not top tethering it. I'm going to try the LATCH tonight if I can get out there.

mlohry

Ok, so back in love with the Radian. Could not believe how easy the FF install was with LATCH in my Ody captains chair! So I guess seat belt RF and LATCH FF. I wish there wasn't that 40lb LATCH limit thing going on...

Might be a deal breaker :(

bnsnyde

Our is in the middle seat, middle row of an Odyssey (2011) FF with latch. Perfect install.

There is also one FF in the 3rd row outboard, seatbelt. I never got an install here I liked...until now. But I also read (and heck, even claim based on my horrible experiences with this seat and van combo) they don't work in the third row with seatbelt.
But the seat is solid. I don't know why. It never worked before. I was a madwoman installing that thing, for sure. If I shove my weight into it I'd probably get front to back movement, but that would be silly. By any normal test, it's fine.

Though, I have seats that would not budge even when I do that with a ton of pressure.
But we have what we had. We needed that seat, there.

YinzerMama

Our is in the middle seat, middle row of an Odyssey (2011) FF with latch. Perfect install.

There is also one FF in the 3rd row outboard, seatbelt. I never got an install here I liked...until now. But I also read (and heck, even claim based on my horrible experiences with this seat and van combo) they don't work in the third row with seatbelt.
But the seat is solid. I don't know why. It never worked before. I was a madwoman installing that thing, for sure. If I shove my weight into it I'd probably get front to back movement, but that would be silly. By any normal test, it's fine.

Though, I have seats that would not budge even when I do that with a ton of pressure.
But we have what we had. We needed that seat, there.

Which outboard side? And have you tried rf in the middle seat? With seatbelt?

I really need to actually get in the back seat and see if the seatbelt blocks the view of the DVD like my daughter claims or if she is just whining. It's not like they have to see the DVD every time they are in the car anyway.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC