Question Is it ever ok to buy a used seat?

mlohry

I am looking for a used XTSL and have been asking local friends 1st, but haven't found one yet. My DD is 3.8, our last child and I know she won't get much the max use out of one buying new. I know I could try to find one on here also, but know I would have to pay shipping. I randomly checked my local Craigs List and there are 4 all very close to my home. One is the new Diono only used 10 times. All the seats that are listed have detailed info about condition, pics of manufacture dates and that they have been in no accidents. Hopefully I'm not being presumptuous, but I would think most people who purchase Radian/Diono seats would know about how to treat them well. In my opinion they don't even have the Britax bubble thing going on.

If I choose to purchase one this way, what else should I ask about, look for? I totally understand it is a risk, but also feel buying any not brand new seat would be that way.

TIA!

ADS

Baylor

I just would not. Unless it is someone I trust. Someone I know that is educated in car seat safety.
I would buy a new seat that I could afford. I would not spend that much cash, Or take a chance on a used one for a child that could ff safely.

mlohry

I also believe she is old enough to FF at 3.8 years, but she is little in the torso. She is only 31lbs, but my kids all have big heads and I just feel better keeping her RF thru the winter. We live in a very snowy, icy area and it's somewhat rural and the roads aren't plowed well. We have a MA70 she still fits in, but after using the XTSL, it's SO much easier to buckle her in the XTSL and she just seems more comfortable in there, although she has never complained about any seat RF. It's mainly my ease for wanting the XTSL.

lovemy2kidstw

The only place I would ever buy a used seat is here. People will tell you anything to make a buck. If they say no accidents, they may have been in a fender bender but don't consider it an accident, when it should be considered an accident.

You said it is your last child so why not spend the extra $$ on shipping to keep the child safe. I agree with Baylor, at 3 FF would be perfectly safe

jnamommy

I would only buy a used seat from a few select people, or one from swap here from an established member. You are trusting the person on craiglist to be honest, you are trusting them with your child's life. Maybe the seat wasn't in an accident, but maybe they washed the straps incorrectly, or did something else that might compromise the seat's safety. It just isn't worth it IMHO.

Brianna

I bought a used seat from a regular member here and also a NWT seat from a newer member here. I wouldn't consider buying used on Craigslist.

Baylor

I also believe she is old enough to FF at 3.8 years, but she is little in the torso. She is only 31lbs, but my kids all have big heads and I just feel better keeping her RF thru the winter. We live in a very snowy, icy area and it's somewhat rural and the roads aren't plowed well. We have a MA70 she still fits in, but after using the XTSL, it's SO much easier to buckle her in the XTSL and she just seems more comfortable in there, although she has never complained about any seat RF. It's mainly my ease for wanting the XTSL.

To me, The risk is higher to have her in a used seat that you know nothing about then ff in a known safe correctly installed seat. If I were weighing the options, I would go ff.

Phineasmama

I would never feel comfortable with it. I have bought and traded with members on here, but I won't even buy from or trade with someone who doesn't have many posts or hasn't been around for a while.

Baylor

I would never feel comfortable with it. I have bought and traded with members on here, but I won't even buy from or trade with someone who doesn't have many posts or hasn't been around for a while.

Me too. I have only purchased seats from 2 people here and I trust them implicitly but I could not just do a random swap here either.

mlohry

Thanks for all the replies. Ok, I just wanted to get opinions. Guess I'll check with a couple more local people to exhaust that option and if that's not happening, I'll consider flipping her. Thanks!

mom of six

So, I am going to be the descenting voice. I think there are a lot of people who care about car safety and who are not members of this forum that sell perfectly safe, usable car seats on Craigslist. In fact I know there are members here who list their own car seats on Craigslist or E-bay. Just because a seat is listed on CL does not make it or its seller questionable. HOWEVER, the history of the seat is all word of mouth from the seller so you are taking a risk. It just depends on how much you trust a stranger.

Others have commented about purchasing seats thought swap (which I have done). True, we all belong to this wonderful forum so we have a common interest and we can ASSUME that we all treat our seats correctly...but the same risk still exists. The seat has a history that is only reported from the seller who has a conflict of interest because they want to sell the seat.

Meet the owner, talk about car safety. Go fishing to see how knowledgeable they are. Look over the seat. ask about laundering, etc. If you get a good vibe, buy the seat.

Baylor

So, I am going to be the descenting voice. I think there are a lot of people who care about car safety and who are not members of this forum that sell perfectly safe, usable car seats on Craigslist. In fact I know there are members here who list their own car seats on Craigslist or E-bay. Just because a seat is listed on CL does not make it or its seller questionable. HOWEVER, the history of the seat is all word of mouth from the seller so you are taking a risk. It just depends on how much you trust a stranger.

Others have commented about purchasing seats thought swap (which I have done). True, we all belong to this wonderful forum so we have a common interest and we can ASSUME that we all treat our seats correctly...but the same risk still exists. The seat has a history that is only reported from the seller who has a conflict of interest because they want to sell the seat.

Meet the owner, talk about car safety. Go fishing to see how knowledgeable they are. Look over the seat. ask about laundering, etc. If you get a good vibe, buy the seat.

A lot of people think they know about car seat safety but don't.. I was one of those people before coming here. Also if money is involved some people are just not going to tell the truth. All the seats I bought from the two people here, ( both techs btw) came new with the exception of the booster. And I trust her completely.

It is the first rule we tell people. If you don't know the history it is not safe. Don't by used unless you trust that person with your childs life.

mlohry

mom of six said:

Thank you for your opinion too. When I come on here, I want both sides of my decision. I too like you believe even buying from here does not leave a seat 100% undamaged. Maybe the seller forgot it fell from a shelf in the garage. Not that anyone anywhere here, CL or EBay would intentionally sell a seat that was damaged, but we all do things dumb that we forget about. I know there are people out there who could care less if they were selling a 20 year old nasty seat, but hopefully there are honest, innocent people out there too.

I did request the XTSL on SWAP and asked a few more local people who might have a lead on one, so we will see what comes up.

Baylor

The other thing also is here we have a problem swap thread. So you can check that before you buy to see if there has been an issue in the past.

auto correct hates me

YinzerMama

I think MOST people are honest and you'll just have to use your best judgment but of course there are no guarantees.

I'm planning to list a snugride on CL and just looked on Ebay to see what I might get listing the parts alone - cover set as a listing and harness as a listing. I'd make more money if I'm lucky.

The harnesses are going for 20+ in many cases. (old style)

Can't help but wonder if the buckle changes are going to lead more people to use used car seats. Or at any rate, harnesses.

Last edited:

Phineasmama

I know that people on here could be lying too, but I guess I like to think that the long time members and CPSTs who have access to swap, and who post here often, would not lie about their car seats. Someone on craigslist I just have no idea at ALL.

Chris

I also am going to go against the grain and say that I would *consider* buying used on CL. I would not buy used on Ebay. With CL I can go see the seat in person, meet the people and get a feel for them as well as the seat. I would be hesitant to buy a seat from someone I don't know, but would consider it as a last resort kind of thing.

Baylor

I also am going to go against the grain and say that I would *consider* buying used on CL. I would not buy used on Ebay. With CL I can go see the seat in person, meet the people and get a feel for them as well as the seat. I would be hesitant to buy a seat from someone I don't know, but would consider it as a last resort kind of thing.

Why? Why would you buy a seat when you can get a good option new? It may not be the prettiest or the most fancy version of the seat you wanted but there are plenty of perfectly good safe seats at decent prices out there. No one NEEDS a britax or a Recaro or Foonf to keep their kids safe..

WE get all wrapped up in the pretty, newest, fanciest, priciest seats, but the kids just need to be safe..

CrazyBoysMamma

Honestly, I'd probably consider it if it were a tech. I certainly don't advocate for buying seats off CL, but we all know plenty of people here sell their seats on CL if they don't get snapped up in swap or they don't want to deal with shipping. Have you tried posting in swap? There might be someone on here who is local to you that is willing to sell.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC