Gen2/G3 Britax seats vs. Peg Convertible

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
We just recently got the Peg seat in to Canada and I could use some info regarding how the 2 seats directly compare so far as fit of child goes. I'm aware of the headrest height rules regarding the Peg rf'ing.

What I'm wondering, is which seat lasts longer rf'ing by height, and for those of you who have had kids in both, how much of a time difference do you think there is between outgrowing one and the other?

Thanks. :)

ADS

jjordan

At some point someone posted pictures (I think here in carseat chat) of the same kid in both. It sticks in my head that the child seemed to have the same height growing room for RF. I could be mis-remembering, so don't take this to the bank, but maybe if you do a search you can find the photos?

jordansmom

I have the PV Convertible, a Radian 65, and a G3 Marathon. I could probably convince DH I need some time to "play" with them tonight and take pictures. Would that be helpful to anyone?

jordansmom

I started a new thread named "carseat comparison" in this forum. Having some difficulty linking to the entire photobucket album as opposed to single picture links...any help greatly appreciated!

jjordan

Just FYI, you may know this already, but I checked the review on carseatblog and they list the shell height at 24" when the headrest is in the highest RF position (same as Britax G2/G3 seats). Of course a kid might fit differently in the two... but I think that when the seat first came out, there was confusion about how high the headrest was allowed to go when being used RF, and so people thought kids had more height room than they actually do. (In fact when I did a quick search here, I found a thread with pictures showing lots of height room for RF, but the head rest was in the highest position b/c it wasn't yet clear that that wasn't allowed.)

ETA: Here is the thread I was thinking of; photos have been removed.

gigi

The Radian is 24.5 I believe. The seat geometry and legroom make a big difference in total height because they can slump down more in some seats, at least that is how it seems to me. My son had 2" more growing room in the EFTA than the old boulevard so I was shocked to see they are the same on the spreadsheet. :).

S

SoCalCarSeatMama

From what I have found with my own child the Peg and the new gen Britax seats will last the same amount of time rear facing. This photo of him in the Peg was taken 2 months after the photo in the Roundabout 55 (which he had 1.5" above his head when that photo was taken). The Peg is also in the highest head rest position for the seat, not set for rear facing. He had just about an inch above his head when it was in the 7th position.

Peg with headrest in the highest setting for forward facing. This was taken before the rules were clarified for the seat. If all positions HAD been allowed then it would have rear faced for as long as the Radian. But with the restriction it will last the same amount of time as the Britax seats height wise.
2012-04-27%252011.54.35.jpg

2012-04-27%252011.41.37.jpg

1.5" above his head in the Roundabout 55
2012-02-21%252009.21.42.jpg

And here he is in the Radian during the same time frame just for reference.
2012-04-18%252013.04.57.jpg

Last edited:

melniemi

My son had 1" more growing room in the peg than the bv. Legroom was the same, installed side by side in my vehicle.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
For legroom, the PV will win in Canada due to the ARB. I didn't sit TechnoBaby in the PV, but it was clear when I installed it that it had more legroom. The seat was pushed away from the vehicle seat compared to a Britax.

--Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

jordansmom

Even with the US Peg, DS1 had considerably more legroom in it than any of the Britax convertibles. I would compare the legroom he had in the Peg to that in the Radian.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC