Inexpensive 2nd vehicle options...

Mom2AbbyMatty

Looking for opinions and advice. :)

I am looking for two new inexpensive carseats for our second vehicle. My son is 17 months, walking, and ?? pounds. My daughter is 3.5 and 32 pounds. A few options I have seen in-store: Cosco high back booster (FF harnessed to 40 pounds and then booster after 40 pounds) for both of my children or the Cosco Scenera (RF 35 pounds and 40 pounds FF harnessed). In our main vehicle she is FF in a Britax Marathon and he is FR in a Diono Radian. I would like to keep them harnessed as long as possible, even in the second vehicle. Two other options I have seen on-line: Evenflo Triumph (harnessed to 65 lbs) or the Safety 1st Guide 65 (harnessed to 65 lbs). Do you have any opinions on these seats? My instinct is telling me to go with the less expensive highback boosters as a short term solution, and wait and see when she goes over the 40 lb limit. Thoughts? Of course, I would go for another Marathon in a second (ease of use and comfort), but looking for something inexpensive as these seats will be used MAYBE 10 mins a day a few times a week (and comfort isn't such a concern for a 5 min drive to the sitter's). Thanks!

ADS

mrosehughes

How tall are your kids? That probably matters as much or more than their weights, if they aren't on the heavy side (your DD doesnt seem heavy to me, since i have an almost 40 lb just three year old). For the 3.5 YO, I think an evenflo maestro is a fairly inexpensive combination seat that has a reasonable shell height and weight limit. The scenera installed RFing is probably a good option for the 17 month old, unless he's very tall or heavy.

tiggercat

Hello!

I would definitely get a rearfacing seat for the 17m old, if you get a weight on him that would help with suggestions. The Graco MyRide might be a good option if you can snag one on sale.
For your daughter I would look at the Evenflo maestro, chase select, or securekid, or the Graco Nautilus. The Nauti is pricier but will harness to 65lb and is quite tall, and makes a good booster. More bang for your buck.
The Coscos you suggested will be outgrown by height (shoulders above top harness slots) before 40lb for most kids and make pretty terrible boosters. The scenera would likely be fine for the baby, but again outgrown early. It depends if you want cheap now and then replace soon, or spend a bit more to last longer :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I don't think cross-posting is allowed so your separate thread in the Canadian forum is likely to get merged with this one.

Yes to everything Natalie said, except take the Chase Select off the list. The harness on it maxes out at 40lbs and while it's tall you might hit the weight limit and not yet reach the booster minimums. It's not one that will harness a long time. The Maestro, SecureKid 300 or 400 (not the 100 - it's the same as the Chase), or the Graco Nautilus are your best bets.

The MyRide has been on sale on Amazon.ca for $144 but I just checked and it's up to $199 again. I think Sears has it for $170. It's a great seat and will last longer than the Guide or Scenera. The Scenera has a 32" RF height limit and the Guide is 36". That might not be long enough for you, depending on height.

tiggercat

Pixelated said:
I don't think cross-posting is allowed so your separate thread in the Canadian forum is likely to get merged with this one.

Yes to everything Natalie said, except take the Chase Select off the list. The harness on it maxes out at 40lbs and while it's tall you might hit the weight limit and not yet reach the booster minimums. It's not one that will harness a long time. The Maestro, SecureKid 300 or 400 (not the 100 - it's the same as the Chase), or the Graco Nautilus are your best bets.

The MyRide has been on sale on Amazon.ca for $144 but I just checked and it's up to $199 again. I think Sears has it for $170. It's a great seat and will last longer than the Guide or Scenera. The Scenera has a 32" RF height limit and the Guide is 36". That might not be long enough for you, depending on height.

Hey Jen,
I thought the chase select/securekid 100 was a pretty decent 40lb seat with tall harness slots? Is there a quirk about the seat that I am missing or just concern about hitting 40lb before booster maturity?
My logic in suggesting it was that it is cheap, and much taller than the two Coscos she had been looking it.
Natalie

Pixelated

Hey Jen,
I thought the chase select/securekid 100 was a pretty decent 40lb seat with tall harness slots? Is there a quirk about the seat that I am missing or just concern about hitting 40lb before booster maturity?
My logic in suggesting it was that it is cheap, and much taller than the two Coscos she had been looking it.
Natalie

True - and it might be fine longer term, and would be fine for right now. But, with a 40lbs AND 43.3" and 4 year min to use it as a booster my worry in general is a child who reaches 40lbs but isn't either 4 or isn't 43.3" tall, requiring the purchase of yet another new seat to get over the hump, and OP did say she wants to harness as long as possible. The top harness slot is decently high -- and better than the Cosco high back -- but for $90 for this versus $110 on the Maestro I'd really stress the Maestro is worth that extra $20. It's got higher slots and a higher weight limit (as you know, just for in general).

Now a $62 sale price on that seat knowing it's limits? A good deal for use right now but again it might not last. But it hasn't been on sale since it was introduced a few months ago.

Some comments on it are here: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=233014&page=2

featherhead

Re: Cross post: inexpensive 2nd vehicle seats...

Stay away from the Cosco high-back booster. It has really low top slots, and makes a very poor, if not dangerous, booster.

The Cosco Scenera is a great budget seat. Rear-faces to 40 lbs, for you little guy. The Guide65 is supposedly a great seat, though some kids have problems with the headrest forcing their head forward. Then there is the Triumph. I believe it has the highest top harness position of the 3 seats, and should also last the longest for rear-facing. I have one and next to my Radian, it is my favourite convertible seat. It has decent leg room for rear-facing, as well as a bit of recline for forward-facing. The sliding harness is also nice, always at the right height without rethreading.

Mom2AbbyMatty

Hi. Thanks for all the helpful advice. I see the MyRide 65 is on sale this week at sears.ca, and I was leaning toward that seat as a compromise on price and comfort back when I was researching second vehicle seats a few months back. Also, guess I need to measure their heights! Thanks again!

Pixelated

Stay away from the Cosco high-back booster. It has really low top slots, and makes a very poor, if not dangerous, booster.

The Cosco Scenera is a great budget seat. Rear-faces to 40 lbs, for you little guy. The Guide65 is supposedly a great seat, though some kids have problems with the headrest forcing their head forward. Then there is the Triumph. I believe it has the highest top harness position of the 3 seats, and should also last the longest for rear-facing. I have one and next to my Radian, it is my favourite convertible seat. It has decent leg room for rear-facing, as well as a bit of recline for forward-facing. The sliding harness is also nice, always at the right height without rethreading.

Ooh yes, I do always forget about the Triumph. Make sure it is the 40lbs RF version (many are still 30lbs) - but you didn't indicate your son's weight, so that's a guess.

The RF height limit on the Scenera is 32" so I wouldn't bother with it unless your budget restricts you to it.

amelia222

My dd is the same age, height, and weight as yours. I wouldn't worry about her reaching 40lbs before she's ready for a booster at all. If she's anything like my dd I'd expect them to hit 40lbs around 5-6 years old based on growth charts. The securekid100 may be a good (and cheap) option if her height is in her legs. If she's taller in the torso then it wouldn't be my first choice and I'd opt for the Maestro.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC