Question Britax Frontier 85 or Kiddy Cruiserfix pro. Any advice?

Mamamia5

I am looking for a good option for my 75 pounds 51 inches first grader. I like the Britax Frontier 85 because of the harness up to 85 pounds and I also like the Kiddy Cruiserfix pro which seems a great option. I used to like the Monterey Diono but I heard bad stories about the headrest and belt guides. Any advice?

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I think there's a decent chance that a 51" kid could have too long of a torso to fit in the Frontier 85 in harnessed mode. It does, however, make a tall booster in booster mode, so it may still be worth considering if you like it or if you have younger children who you may want to pass it down to someday. I've purchased a Frontier 85 for a 6 year old to use in harnessed mode, so I'd be a hypocrite to say not to do it, but it may make more sense to purchase a dedicated booster for a first grader. :)

I'm not familiar with the Kiddy Cruiserfix Pro. I believe that if you could find a store that sells Diono Montereys and looked for one with a very recent date of manufacture then it would be one without belt guide issues.

What seat is he currently in and how does it fit him? That might help us make better recommendations for you. :)

Mamamia5

She is in a safeguard and safeguard go so she is used to the harness. She used to be 63 pounds until last month then she grew overnight like two inches, gained like 12 pounds and became size 10 in clothing. That's why I'm now looking for something appropriate for her size! And she's my baby, her brother is in college!

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
She is in a safeguard and safeguard go so she is used to the harness. She used to be 63 pounds until last month then she grew overnight like two inches, gained like 12 pounds and became size 10 in clothing. That's why I'm now looking for something appropriate for her size! And she's my baby, her brother is in college!

If you want to be able to harness for a little longer, and she'll fit in the Britax Frontier 85 longer in harnessed mode, I don't think there's anything wrong with buying it. :twocents: It's a great seat, and it should last her a long time in booster mode when it's time to use it in booster mode. I think she probably should have a least a little room in harnessed mode in a Frontier 85, especially since she still fits in a Safeguard Go with her shoulders under the top harness position. I harnessed my daughter all the way through first grade, but I think at your daughter's age, a booster would also be a good choice.

Right now though, as I'm sure you know, she is over the harnessed limit for the Safeguard Go (I believe the limit on that version was 60 pounds) as well as the Safeguard (I believe the limit is 65 pounds), so she needs a new seat before riding in those again, unless I am mistaken about the limits. I know that the Go only becomes a backless booster, and I don't usually advise going straight to a backless booster from a harness, but I'd convert the Go to booster mode until you are able to buy a new seat (whether the Frontier 85 or a booster) to use instead of using her current seats in harnessed mode.

Good luck seat shopping! I love the Frontier 85 (I have 3 of them!), so I don't think it's a bad choice, especially if you can get it at a store and start using it right away, but a booster is also a great choice for a first grader! :)

Phineasmama

Does your local BabiesRus sell the Frontier? I'd probably want to check and see if the harness fits before buying it.

I think the Kiddy booster looks really awesome and I kind of want to get one for my DD :)

But I also heard that the Kiddy World Plus (the one that comes with a shield) makes a taller booster than the Cruiserfix Pro, so keep that in mind.

Baylor

I would be looking at a good fitting booster at this age. Something that becomes backless so that it can be used longer.

Mamamia5

I just ordered the kiddy cruiser pro, lavender for my girly girl.
She totally refused to stay harnessed! She loved the design and feels like a grown up now.
I will share our experience!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC