Head Support

Heyy

Any suggestions for a head support for a FF car seat for when they are sleeping? Their little heads hang down to their chests :thumbsdown: but I am nervous about adding after market products?

ADS

Mercuria

Things around their heads for them to lean on should be fine, as they shouldn't interfere with the harness. I have seen the suggestion (here) to tape towels into rolls.

Is it an option to install their seats more reclined?

tiggercat

How big/old are the kids and what seats do they ride in? Headflop is common in FF seats that don't have a natural recline. My solution is rearfacing :p

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

tiggercat

Mercuria said:
OP has been through the RF argument here before ;)

Ok. I actually have no idea what her kids stats are. I was referring to my kids. If you RF till they don't sleep as much in the car, it avoids that issue.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Others may have different opinions, but for me, I don't want anything pushing my kid's head further forward in a FF seat. In a collision, I want that head starting out as far back as it can. Especially 18 month olds where the spinal cord can snap so easily in a FF collision due to the lack of fused vertebrae and higher head size to body ratio.

I'd get small buckwheat pillows and when they fell asleep, I'd pop the pillows on one shoulder and let their head rest on it. Well that's not actually true, I'd actually RF them because then I wouldn't have any of this to worry about and no pillows to fiddle with, and not have to pay attention to when they fell asleep, etc. But if I wasn't me, I'd do the buckwheat pillows.

--Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

creideamh

You could turn those backward so the regular neck part is in front (nothing pushing the head forward.) I also have a BenBat travel friend pillow thing as well that is thin at the back so it doesn't push the head forward (and has magnets to hold the ends together under the chin.)
Of course, I also agree to RF, but that's not what you're asking, so the above is my best answer.

kater-tot82

I tried one of those neck pillows for my DD when she was 3-4yo and in an Evenflo Chase (zero head support for sleeping). For some reason it never seemed to work the way they are theoretically designed to. It seemed to push her head forward and she still had bad headslump. :( Headslump doesn't bother all kids but my DD would wake up crying every time and could never get comfortable.

We ended up getting her a Britax Regent and that solved the issue for us...obviously new seats aren't always possible though. Hope you find a workable solution!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
creideamh said:
You could turn those backward so the regular neck part is in front (nothing pushing the head forward.)

I thought of that but figured the ends would still go around enough to push the head forward of 18 month olds. 6 year olds probably not, but 18 month olds? I'd also not feel warm and fuzzy about a pillow wrapped around the front of their neck. And in the end, it's adding more weight to their necks which is bad in a collision for children that young. IMO, they need something that doesn't add weight to the neck.

--Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Heyy

I wouldn't put one behind their necks- that doesn't seem comfortable at all :(
As for something around the front, I'm still hesitant- maybe I'' try the rolled up towel or receiving blanket on the sides...

canadiangie

Any suggestions for a head support for a FF car seat for when they are sleeping? Their little heads hang down to their chests :thumbsdown: but I am nervous about adding after market products?

Can you clarify the age of your babies and what seats they are in?

jacqui276

Would putting something on the sides actually fix any issues of head slump? With that upright of an angle, I would image that they would still slump forward unless their head was firmly wedged into something or possibly with one of those u-shaped pillows in front (although the safety issues of that have already been discussed). Other than RFing or putting them potentially in a more reclined seat (MyRide maybe?) I'm out of ideas.

aeormsby

I know aftermarket products aren't ideal, but this strikes me as being better than most since there is nothing behind the head other than a strap, it just offers support on the sides.

Anyone see any glaring problems with something like this?

http://www.google.com/shopping/prod...a=X&ei=mKapUKm0KsSo0AHvsoHADw&ved=0CGIQ8wIwAQ

I would say that's OK as long as you're not attaching it to the shoulder straps (as I'm pretty sure it's designed to do). I have no idea if they work or not though.

MommyShannon

I never found anything that worked well including the circle ones. The only thing that worked for my older kids who are too big to rf was moving to Frontiers. They are old enough to hold a small pillow now too. Younger ages they just won't leave anything in place to work right even if you find something. They just need more recline at that age to avoid slump. They just don't lean their heads to the side automatically like older kids. so no matter how many pillows or things you add beside their head, they are going to get head slump. things on the sides work rearfacing because of the recline. My 7 year old can finally keep her head up while sleeping even in a more upright seat. My 5 year old will get head slump if he's not in the Frontier. My 2.5 year old is nice and comfy sleeping rearfacing. It makes it so much easier on trips with her than when I turned my oldest kids way too early before knowing better.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC