Spin off: How long will/did you rf?

When did or will you turn you kid(s) ff'ing?

• As soon as they met the ff'ing minimums

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • before 2yrs old - family reasons, still fit seat

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • before 2yrs old - outgrew seat by weight

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • before 2yrs old - outgrew seat by height

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • 2-3yrs old - outgrew seat by height and/or weight

Votes: 16 19.5%
  • 2-3 yrs old - family reasons, still fit seat

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • 3-4 yrs old - outgrew seat by height and/or weight

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • 3-4 yrs old - family reasons, still fit seat

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • Over 4yrs old - outgrew seat by height and/or weight

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Over 4yrs old - family reasons, still fit seat

Votes: 14 17.1%

• Total voters

mam521

DD (2007) - turned her before a year because I didn't know any better.

DS (2010) - still rf. Spent 2 weeks ff @ backup dayhome but he didn't have a clue where his seat was in her van at first because it wasn't rf'ing. We're hoping to make the winter rf in the BV, but we're really close to 1". He'll be rf in the RXT (main seat) for a bit yet as well as the MR (DC seat).

ADS

canadiangie

DD1 was about 3.5 when she went FF full time, although had been FF for a few airline trips in the two or three months previous. She had already outgrown the classic Marathon by weight at age 2 and went into a Radian. She outgrew it by the 44" height limit before she was 4 but still is within the weight. I couldn't deal with having a baby, moving across the country, and arguing with her on every trip and decided I was ok with it at that point.

DD2 is super tall and had a monster torso. I just put her up to the 2nd from the top slot on the Radian. She just turned two and I will be surprised if she gets to 3.5 in it, but you never know. I will not buy another seat to rear-face her for longer than the Radian will.

I just moved littlest dd's straps up to the 2nd from top slots on the RXT, too. She turned 2 last month. Hmmm. So she is big then. Ok. I'm learning as I go on this baby of mine. You'd think I would have some perspective on things given how many kids/seats I see, but for some reason I don't when it comes to my own kids, and especially this baby. She's a full 10 pounds heavier than my oldest was at the exact same age. (22lbs versus 32lbs).

newyorkDOC

DD will turn at 4 in January. She's been asking for a few months now but I told her not until she is 4. She's cool with that. I suspect she may not like FF bc it's more convenient to watch the iPad RF I think... We'll see. But if I RF'ed her to the limits she'd probably make it to 7 or 8 as she's pretty lightweight and only 15kg at the moment (the TWE goes to 25kg) and she's nowhere near the top of the shell (never mind her ears!).

DS will be the same deal. No FF until at least 4. He will get the TWE once he teaches the minimum on it.

jess71903

Ambassador
On or not long after 3rd birthday for both of mine. Gage turned on his bday. I turned him back briefly but defered to DH who was done. Evie will be 3 in Jan. I'll probably push for a little longer with her just to get out of our biggest chance of bad weather but she'll FF on our big long road trip in Feb or March.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Car-Seat.Org

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I just moved littlest dd's straps up to the 2nd from top slots on the RXT, too. She turned 2 last month. Hmmm. So she is big then. Ok. I'm learning as I go on this baby of mine. You'd think I would have some perspective on things given how many kids/seats I see, but for some reason I don't when it comes to my own kids, and especially this baby. She's a full 10 pounds heavier than my oldest was at the exact same age. (22lbs versus 32lbs).

I have only tall kids (well, two of them) but they're the opposite proportions and the older is all legs, the younger mostly torso. They wear nearly the same size shirt. DD2 is 30lbs, 37-38" or so, turned 2 in September, and wears a 4-5T shirt.

I'm pretty bad at judging 'average' height kids since mine top the charts!

amelia222

Alice is now FF all the time at 3.5yo.

She FF for the first time at 26 months vary rarely when she was in DH's truck (2 seater, airbag sensor).
Then once she hit around 2.5 she started FF in Grandma's car which she is in once or twice a month.
She outgrew the Marathon by legroom, she screamed that her back hurt from her legs bending so far. So we turned her FF at just over 2.5 for a month or so until I found a good deal on a Complete Air.
She has gone back and forth a few times depending on vehicles and situation but has been mostly FF up until a few weeks ago. Now at 39" and 33lbs in her ballet outfit I can safely say that she has outgrown all of our seats (CA, TF, MA) rearfacing for one reason or another.

If I got another vehicle tomorrow and could afford a seat that she could Rf in I probably would, but I don't worry about it. Getting her to 2.5/3.5 rearfacing is at least 2 years longer than the majority of kids. I know plenty who were FF at 8mo/18lbs because they were 'big enough' :rolleyes:

Jessica61624

canadiangie said:

My son has been on the 4th slots since he was 18 months. He will be 3 Feb 4. His legs grew.

Jessica61624

I can't vote. None of the options apply.

DD I FF before a year so not at the min even.

Ds1 is still RF at 34 months(almost 3) with a few times after two he FF.

DS2 is huge. Not telling when he will slow down. Obviously RF at 5 months.

caterpillar16

DD was rf until a month and a half after her first birthday. This was before the new recommendations. I wasn't going to create a monster by switching her back. Currently expecting twins. They will be rf until 2. I'm hoping anyway.

keri1292

Maiya was born in 2000 and she RF'd until at least 18mos.

Hayden was 30lbs and 3.5y.

Quinn was almost 5yo and 28lbs.

tam_shops

I realized after I hit send that I clicked the wrong box for YDS, so there should be one more 3-4yo family reasons and one less 2-3yo for family reasons.

At any rate,

FF ODS at 5 3/4yo b/c YDS needed the seat.

FF YDS at 3 1/2yo b/c his seat was crashed and he was on the top slot if he were FF (so 2nd from top RF, but in the middle of that slot) and his head was getting close to that 1.5" point. I found a Frontier on sale and grabbed it while I finished waiting for the Foonf, to continue RF him...He's has a long torso and is a heavy boy, so now that I know the Foonf won't work for him and our vehicles are about to change, I'll take another look at the RN for the 45# RF limit.

ODS fits in the Frontier with out adjusting the straps YDS's torso is so long...

tam

cake...

DS outgrew his seat rear facing by height around 2. He's still skinny and tall, with a 17" torso and ff'ing in a frontier 85 now. He's 2yrs 9mo.

oddduck

DD1 - Turned FF at 2.5 as she was in a Britax Marathon and 29lbs.

DD2 - A much bigger child then our first. She's 38" tall standing last time I checked and 32.5lbs. Currently RFing in a MR and FFing in a True Fit. She's within 2lbs of the RFing weight limit of the TF (undressed) so I figured I might as well turn it then be stuck trying to do it in the driveway in a blizzard.

V

VanIsleMommy

I voted twice... I turned my son as soon as he was 1 year and 20 pounds (the minimum back then) and turned him back to rearfacing at just about 2 if I recall. I found CSO when having car seat installation issues, then came back when he was throwing things at me and I wanted to know if it was legal to turn him back:p

oh how much I've learned since!!:eek:

bbartlettnfld

I haven't read all the replies:

DD born in 2003 turned at 3-4yrs she was tiny! She till fit the original AOE 40lb version at 4!

DS born in 2007 turned at 18mos when he had outgrown RF both the MA and Radian. He was slightly over 30lbs then.

Kimberly

I chose to turn my daughter when she was about 3yrs 6 months. I was very pregnant and our Radian did not install well in our Toyota Matrix. I started to not fit in the passenger front seat, sigh... :). I wish I had ordered an angle adjuster to try but we just did not. She loves her frontier and I love both that and the Radian in our cars Ffing. Not sure what her height was then, but her weight is the same, 32lbs, she is about 39" now.

My son is just over a year and RFing in a My Ride and EFTA. If I can wrangle another Radian out of my DH, I would love it. I miss the low sides, much easier to tuck him in RFing.

PS thanks for starting this thread, I love hearing everyone's stories. I learned about ERF from a sweet tech in Ottawa who checked our seat when DD was a babe.

Taxandria

We rf'ed until she was maybe about 3 and a half though I don't remember exactly when. I think we were using a Britax at the time. I had been getting guff from my mother in law about the rfing and also from my brother in law (who was telling us that it was not LEGAL to rf at that age. ??? This was a guy who had his kid FFing before age 3 - i don't know how much before that because we didn't live near him then but still. His kid's only 2 mos older than ours. my MIL was complaining about it a lot even though she never had to deal with it. Those two are still incredibly judgmental, critical and bossy.

geekKT

I'm voting 3-4 by height/weight, because that's what I intend to do.

I had grand plans of J staying on his lightweight curve and making it well past 3 RF in the TFP. I'd get an infant seat for the next one, pass the TFP down when needed and move J into a FF combo. Then I weighed him at 32lbs without any winter gear on, realized he probably wouldn't make it until next baby was near needing out of the bucket, and I'd be looking at turning him sooner than I was actually comfortable with anyway.

Now he's in an RXT with the TFP awaiting its next recipient. He's tall and lots of torso, though, so while we might get another year RF I am doubting we'll get to 4 based on height.

sunflower

First was 3.5.
Second was 5. Chose to ERF, and so I needed to get him a RN, for the higher weight.
Third is still RF at almost 5. I'll switch him when new baby comes, and we need to reshuffle our seats.
Fourth - almost 3 still RF.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC