Spin off: How long will/did you rf?

When did or will you turn you kid(s) ff'ing?

• As soon as they met the ff'ing minimums

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • before 2yrs old - family reasons, still fit seat

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • before 2yrs old - outgrew seat by weight

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • before 2yrs old - outgrew seat by height

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • 2-3yrs old - outgrew seat by height and/or weight

Votes: 16 19.5%
  • 2-3 yrs old - family reasons, still fit seat

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • 3-4 yrs old - outgrew seat by height and/or weight

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • 3-4 yrs old - family reasons, still fit seat

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • Over 4yrs old - outgrew seat by height and/or weight

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Over 4yrs old - family reasons, still fit seat

Votes: 14 17.1%

• Total voters

canadiangie

My daughter was born in 2002 and the recommendations were to rear-face to the limits of the seat. I pretty much did -- I had a 30# RFing seat and RFed to 29ish pounds, which was somewhere between 2.5 and 3.

If I were to have another child, I would buy a seat with a higher limit.

It's funny you mention the 2002 thing. My niece is 10 right now and she rf'd in her rf to 35lbs EB 3-in-1 until 18mos because I knew rf for as long as possible was recommended. Back then rf past 1 was completely unheard of, and her mom got major flack for doing so.

My favourite site back then was that one with the RF Album. I used to look at those pics for hours it seemed, and read and re-read the information. :eek:

ADS

birdflippin'

DS1 outgrew his seat by weight at 2 years 9 months 2 days.
DS2 we turned forward facing due to his cast when he broke his leg. The cast pushed him over the weight limit. He was 2 years 5 months +/- a day or 2.

DD is obviously still RF and will remain so until she outgrown DS2's radian. The radian will be getting passed down when DS1 moves to a booster next summer or hits 40 lbs, whatever comes later.

MammaBear

DS hit 44lbs a month before his 3rd birthday so I flipped his RXT. DD1 should be rear facing in her My Ride until pretty close to 4, and I have a feeling DD2 is going to get the RXT because I have a feeling we're going to be in the same situation with her as we were with DS.

Cilia

DD1, really stupid of us - I knew better... We turned her at about 2 years and 10 months while on a trip. She was not happy being in the car for the drive, so we turned her around for the drive home thinking she would like it better. She kind of did, but had a really hard time blocking out everything that came at her at 70 miles/hour so falling asleep was really hard. Just after that her and I went on a trip and she was rf for about a month before we came back home, so full time from when she was 3. She went back rf for about a month when she was about 4.5 years old before she outgrew her seat.

DD2 is still rf. She will be 3 in Feb and I have no idea when we will turn her ff. Probably when she maxes out her seat or at about 4.5-5 years old. Fingers crossed!

simplychels

5.5 years old is the last time she was rf'ing. She had bounced back and forth rf'ing and ff'ing depending on what she so desired for a few months prior to that though. A month after she was officially done rf'ing we started booster training(due to after school transportation needs). 40.2 lbs and she turns 6 next month.

mom2juliarose

At the moment I only voted with DD. We turned her FFing at 2y9m. She had outgrown her seats RFing by weight at that point (I think it was 33 or 35 pounds?), and we didn't have the money to afford the one or two seats on the market with higher RFing limits.

DS turns 2 in 2 weeks, and he's still RFing. He weighs about 30 pounds and both of us have seats in our cars that RF to 40 pounds. That being said, DH is tired of hoisting him into the MyRide but is resistant to getting a new seat for DS to RF in. DH really wants DS FFing. I'm not ready for that yet, but I also don't know when we'll turn him. I'd love to keep him RFing until 3 or 4....

Chris

I was a dummy and even though I thought I was really into car seat safety I didn't know about RFing to the seat max until Baby #3. I did better than most people going all the way to 20lbs which for my kids was well after their first birthday. They did all FF to seat max when their friends were boostered at age 2!

DS2 is 2y 7m and very close to maxing out his blvd by height. Not sure I can convince DH to spring for another seat for him and I am not thrilled with how the Radian installs in my car anyway. I need to check out the size4me and see what we think.

We do have a baby on the way so once we know a bit more there it will be time for the car seat shuffle and I will have to figure out who goes in what seat at that point.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
DD1 was about 3.5 when she went FF full time, although had been FF for a few airline trips in the two or three months previous. She had already outgrown the classic Marathon by weight at age 2 and went into a Radian. She outgrew it by the 44" height limit before she was 4 but still is within the weight. I couldn't deal with having a baby, moving across the country, and arguing with her on every trip and decided I was ok with it at that point.

DD2 is super tall and had a monster torso. I just put her up to the 2nd from the top slot on the Radian. She just turned two and I will be surprised if she gets to 3.5 in it, but you never know. I will not buy another seat to rear-face her for longer than the Radian will.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It's funny you mention the 2002 thing.

I hope I don't derail this thread too much, but the recommendations *were* out there in 2002-2005. I emphasize this because a lot of folks who are "carseat crazy" now didn't know this back then. And that's the way life works -- when we know better, we do better. But we should maybe be a little less judgemental of folks who still don't know.

canadiangie

I hope I don't derail this thread too much, but the recommendations *were* out there in 2002-2005. I emphasize this because a lot of folks who are "carseat crazy" now didn't know this back then. And that's the way life works -- when we know better, we do better. But we should maybe be a little less judgemental of folks who still don't know.

Oh my. I hope my post didn't come off as judgemental! Trust me, and a few folks around here who know me IRl can attest, I'm really respectful when it comes to parental decision.

Apologies if my post came off wrong.

nutritionistmom

CPST Instructor
I only voted for DS2 who rode RF in a Radian until just before his 5th bday. He still fit by weight and height but was at the UAS limits for my Civic and I couldn't get a seatbelt install I was really happy with (preAA). He's actually still within the limits and keeps asking for his "backwards" seat, but I'm pretty sure if I order the AA, he'll change his mind. :rolleyes:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Oh my. I hope my post didn't come off as judgemental! Trust me, and a few folks around here who know me IRl can attest, I'm really respectful when it comes to parental decision.

I think it was just fine Angie, I didn't read anything judgmental in there at all. (I will also attest that Angie is great and very respectful of parent's decisions. :love: )

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
snowbird25ca said:
I think it was just fine Angie, I didn't read anything judgmental in there at all. (I will also attest that Angie is great and very respectful of parent's decisions. :love: )

:yeahthat: :love:

--Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

tiggercat

nutritionistmom said:
I only voted for DS2 who rode RF in a Radian until just before his 5th bday. He still fit by weight and height but was at the UAS limits for my Civic and I couldn't get a seatbelt install I was really happy with (preAA). He's actually still within the limits and keeps asking for his "backwards" seat, but I'm pretty sure if I order the AA, he'll change his mind. :rolleyes:

Should have asked me, I have an extra AA!
Sam loves the costume, by the way ;) Thanks.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants

Not at all; I'm sorry if I implied that in any way. The "we" was meant as the board in general.

smackeen

DS1 - Likely around 18mo (when ever he hit 22lbs)

DS2 - again Likely around 2yr old, when he hit 22lbs. But he did re rear face after he turned 3 for 6-8 mo.

DS3 - Currently 33mo and still rear facing. Will reassess in the spring time.

Ninetales

I would be thrilled if Elsa makes it to 3 in the Radian. She's 2yrs9mo now and 40-42 lbs fully dressed.

My youngest is still new so it depends on how he grows.

mom1mg

DS1 - 2002 - 12 months - I had never heard of RFing longer and thought I HAD to change him but I was hesistant to do it. Changed at about 20 pounds.

DS2 - 2003 - 12 months (ish) - Again I though we had to change him. He was RF a little past his B-day but not much. Changed at about 20 pounds.

DS3 - 2009 - 2 - Just after his B-day. We bought a new to us car and his seat didn't fit RF - I couldn't close the lock-offs on the true-fit and couldn't afford a new seat at that time.

DD1 - 2011 - I am "aiming" for 2 minumum however she is 20 months and TINY. She just got a complete air - hasn't even ridden in it yet since we have the flu. I suspect I can get her to at least 3 in it.

DD2- 2012 - Again aiming for at least 2 and then we will see what seats there is and how she fits.

kathysr98

Dd is 4.5yo & is RF in my car, FF in all others. She FF once before 3.5, and on a very limited basis between 3.5 & 4. She reached 35lbs right at her 4th bday, so had to go FF in the TF in dh's truck & I had told my mother she could FF at 4 in her car. I left her RF in my car until about 4y3m, then turned her to haul some stuff in the car. She seemed to like it, so I left her that way. At about 4y5m she wanted to RF again so she could see her friends who frequently ride in my third row. I plan to leave her as is until she asks for a change or outgrows the RN.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC