Question When to start booster training?

HaileysMommy

DD is almost 4. Wondering if we should start loosely booster training her. Her stats are in my siggy. I'm not necessarily one to harness as long as possible but I will probably leave her harnessed the majority of the time til at least 5. Just wasn't sure if we should start playing with boosters to get her really ready for when a booster may be necessary in someone else's car.

ADS

tiggercat

I don't see any reason to booster train that early. I would wait until at least 4.5 and 40lbs unless there was a specific need where the benefits outweight the risks.
3 year old really have no business in boosters, period.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

HaileysMommy

tiggercat said:
I don't see any reason to booster train that early. I would wait until at least 4.5 and 40lbs unless there was a specific need where the benefits outweight the risks.
3 year old really have no business in boosters, period.

She will be 4 in 2 weeks. And at her rate of growth I swear she will be 6 before she hits 40lbs!!

Brianna

I wouldn't be in any sort of rush... do you have a specific scenario in mind for when she'll need to use a booster in another car?

tiggercat

HaileysMommy said:
She will be 4 in 2 weeks. And at her rate of growth I swear she will be 6 before she hits 40lbs!!

Yes, but at this moment in time she is 3. Nothing magical happens on their 4th birthday to imbue them with maturity (unfortunately! LOL )
Like I said. I would wait until at least 4.5 and 40, that is my comfort level. YMMV.

HaileysMommy

Brianna said:
I wouldn't be in any sort of rush... do you have a specific scenario in mind for when she'll need to use a booster in another car?

Not at the moment. I just wanna make sure she is good and ready when the time comes. Or I want an excuse to buy a booster :blush: lol

HaileysMommy

tiggercat said:
Yes, but at this moment in time she is 3. Nothing magical happens on their 4th birthday to imbue them with maturity (unfortunately! LOL )
Like I said. I would wait until at least 4.5 and 40, that is my comfort level. YMMV.

I wouldn't run out and buy a booster today just bc she is close to 4. She is actually super mature for her age. I'd be more worried about fit since she is a peanut.

BW1426

DD just outgrew her radian xt (still fits in the regular radian) at 6.5 years. She is 45 lbs. I didn't start training until about a month before we made the switch. Frankly, there was no training needed with her, she was just ready. I honestly don't think I would even mess around with booster training unless there is some reason she's going to need to be in a booster soon. Why bother if you have a 5 point harness that fits her just fine and everyone is happy. DD has a much more difficult time buckling herself into her booster than she ever did in the radian.

Brianna

I would buy an almost 4 year old a combination seat before I would buy a booster. I would also probably keep her harnessed until closer to 5 before any booster training.

amyd

I started with DS at 4.5 and 40lbs. He rides in a booster in DH's car and a Nautilus in mine.

Baylor

The only reason my 4.5 yr old started booster training is because he is 46 inches and 56 lbs. I can not lug his FR85 everywhere so I wanted to have emergency options. There is no need to put a 3 yr old in a booster. Ever, if you ask my opinion. Maybe 4 if they are getting close to maxing out a seat but if they have plenty of room to grow then let them get to 5 before you start. To me, wanting to buy a booster is not a good enough reason to booster train.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
My son is 4y2m and I won't even consider letting him in a booster for another year. Partly because he's 34 lbs, partly because he's on the less mature side, and partly because I feel more comfortable with him in a tethered seat until he's a older and has more time for spinal calcification. That's not necessarily the conversation I'd have with every parent that comes through my door, but it's my plan for my own kid.

kater-tot82

We started booster training with 9yo dd (she is my stepdaughter) at 4yo because we knew her bio mom only had a Cosco combo seat that she was outgrowing the harness on and would be switching her to a booster soon, at that age. We wanted to make sure DD understood how to ride safely. If not for those circumstances, I probably would have waited til closer to 5.

tiggercat

HaileysMommy said:
I repeat...I am not trying to booster my 3 year old!!!

Thanks for the replies.

Well your child is currently 3, and you are asking about booster training her. I am not sure how else we're to interpret your question?

HaileysMommy

tiggercat said:
Well your child is currently 3, and you are asking about booster training her. I am not sure how else we're to interpret your question?

And I replied to you earlier that I wasn't trying to put her in a booster at 3. I said she is almost 4 bc 4 would be the absolute youngest I'd ever say to put a kid in a booster. I'm a CPST for heavens sake not an idiot!

babyherder

I don't think it could hurt to find a booster that fits your dd well so you have one on hand (or at least in mind) for when she's over 4 and needs one. I wouldn't booster her in my car but it can't hurt to be prepared.

HaileysMommy

babyherder said:
I don't think it could hurt to find a booster that fits your dd well so you have one on hand (or at least in mind) for when she's over 4 and needs one. I wouldn't booster her in my car but it can't hurt to be prepared.

Thank you...she actually had some friends in boosters so it would be nice to have on hand for emergencies.

Eta: plus it would give me time to figure out what I like best for when she is older. I can play booster swap instead of car seat swap lol

tiggercat

HaileysMommy said:
And I replied to you earlier that I wasn't trying to put her in a booster at 3. I said she is almost 4 bc 4 would be the absolute youngest I'd ever say to put a kid in a booster. I'm a CPST for heavens sake not an idiot!

I've never said or implied that you were an idiot.
I thought you were asking for opinions, so I gave mine. I apologize if I offended you.

HaileysMommy

tiggercat said:
I've never said or implied that you were an idiot.
I thought you were asking for opinions, so I gave mine. I apologize if I offended you.

It's ok. It wasn't just you. You already knew I said I wasn't boostering at 3 and others could read that too so not sure why it was said again lol. Whatever...it's not a huge deal. I was thinking I saw some doing part-time boostering at 4 but maybe i was crazy?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC