Would you trade a Radian for a Size4me?

whitneyg

I need to get new seat to put in my mom's car. We currently have a Radian R120. Assuming the S4M will puzzle RF with my RF CCO (baby brother's seat), I might get one to RF my 3 year old DD. The other seat will be moved to my mom's car and used occasionally (either the Radian or the S4M). My mom says she will only use it FF since they have a 2 door Mini Cooper and she thinks loading and unloading will be too hard if RF. I want to get a convertible to give to her instead of a FF only seat, just in case I can change her mind.

Which is a better FF seat down the road when we are ready to turn her? I am not thrilled with the Radian, but am dealing with it since it keeps her RF. The S4M was not out yet when we bought our Radian, or I probably would have gotten one. Which do you prefer, if you have experience with both?

ADS
If it were me, stick with the Radian.

You've mentioned wanting to use it as a FF seat, and at that point the kiddo may want to get up into the seat by themselves. The low-profile will make that much easier.

Last edited:

mlohry

I would not. Up until last week I owned a MA70, Size 4 me and am currently borrowing a XTSL. The S4 me had no leg room. My petite 3.8 year old got impossible to buckle in RF as there was no room for her legs to go. When I started borrowing the XTSL I could not believe how much more room she had and the buckling issues were gone. I sold the S4me because of this last week. Now I'm trying to trade the MA70 for an XTSL because I don't want to go back to no more leg room.

YinzerMama

I *think* I just looked at a size for me at BRU. Single cupholder, handle at top to pull headrest up... All the names are running together. Baby didn't seem to have any more legroom in it than he does in his classic marathon.

eta - yes it was a size4me. I have been considering radians for legroom rf, since baby is in a classic marathon. There was no compelling reason to get the s4m from that angle.

Last edited:

Mugsmom

I've owned both, and the Size 4 Me is lacking in leg room, but I still prefer it. I'm one of those who really didn't like the Radian or SK/Diono though. My tall 2.5 year old is comfortable in the S4M70, despite the lack of leg room.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
S4M has more legroom than a classic Britax, but less than a RN. I had all three seats in a row, and moved a kid from a RA50 into the S4M and gained legroom, and moved his brother from the S4M to the RN and gained legroom. I really liked the S4M FF, but not really RF... and I generally prefer convertibles RF and combo seats for FF. I didn't like the RN for FF. (FWIW, neither the 3.5yo in the RA50 nor the 4.5yo in the S4M complained about the lack of legroom, I just disliked having to contort their legs to get them buckled.)

All of that to say, I would stick with a Radian, as overall I do prefer it over the S4M (and I wanted to love the S4M, I adore my MR and stalked Buy Buy Baby to get the S4M the day they got it in.)

I am as eeeerf as they come, but I might stick with the RN and get a combo seat (Maestro?) for a 3yo in Grandma's car. Or, perhaps go with a CA, since it's low-profile like the RN, with a 40lb limit, and tall shell? I also prefer how the CA installs FF, vs the RN (it seemed to always slip forward for me.)

mlohry

Carrie_R said:
S4M has more legroom than a classic Britax, but less than a RN. I had all three seats in a row, and moved a kid from a RA50 into the S4M and gained legroom, and moved his brother from the S4M to the RN and gained legroom. I really liked the S4M FF, but not really RF... and I generally prefer convertibles RF and combo seats for FF. I didn't like the RN for FF. (FWIW, neither the 3.5yo in the RA50 nor the 4.5yo in the S4M complained about the lack of legroom, I just disliked having to contort their legs to get them buckled.)

All of that to say, I would stick with a Radian, as overall I do prefer it over the S4M (and I wanted to love the S4M, I adore my MR and stalked Buy Buy Baby to get the S4M the day they got it in.)

I am as eeeerf as they come, but I might stick with the RN and get a combo seat (Maestro?) for a 3yo in Grandma's car. Or, perhaps go with a CA, since it's low-profile like the RN, with a 40lb limit, and tall shell? I also prefer how the CA installs FF, vs the RN (it seemed to always slip forward for me.)

I agree that the Radians/Dionos have the most leg room, as I've been using an XTSL lately, but also up until recently owned the Size 4 me and an MA70 and the MA70 I feel gives my daughter more room, I think because the sides aren't quite as high as the S4me. She has more room to spread her legs when I'm buckling her at least. I sold the S4me, but kept the MA70 for this reason.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I've never used a next gen Britax, so that is totally possible. Mine was a classic Britax. I just know that same kids, same recline, same vehicle there was a noticeable difference in leg room as the boys moved from the RA50 to the S4M and then the S4M to the Radian.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC