Moving to Canada soon -- how to find out about which seats legal?

dannynyc

Hi all,
I live in the US but will be moving to Canada next summer. My twins aren't born yet, but they will be about 5-6 months old by the time we go -- right around the time we'd probably get convertible seats. We're planning on buying a 2005-09 Subaru Outback. Where can I find out which convertible seats are legal in Canada and is it possible to buy them in the US?

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Hi all,
I live in the US but will be moving to Canada next summer. My twins aren't born yet, but they will be about 5-6 months old by the time we go -- right around the time we'd probably get convertible seats. We're planning on buying a 2005-09 Subaru Outback. Where can I find out which convertible seats are legal in Canada and is it possible to buy them in the US?

No convertible seats for sale in the US are legal for use in Canada. Any seat which is sold in Canada is required to have the National Safety Mark (NSM) that indicates it has been certified to Canadian standards, and there are not currently any seats being made in the US which are certified for use in Canada just because our standards have a few parts to them that are very different than the US standards.

I would wait to decide on what type of seats to get for your vehicle until you are close to moving your twins out of their seats just because different kids grow at different rates and what you pick for a seat now may not be the seat you'd choose once the twins are actually ready to move in to them. When the time comes just buy them at a Canadian store and they'll be legal for use.

Hope this helps.

biddyk8

Its illegal to use any of the US seats here in Canada, if it is around the time you will need to get them I would wait and buy the convertibles when you get here.

You can keep an eye on the toysr us Canadian seat and snugglebugz.ca and you can see what all seats we have. A lot are similar with weight differences. Like 65lbs instead of 70lbs.

dannynyc

Thanks. A followup question: is there any way to have Canadian seats shipped to the US so that when I enter they will be legit? I contacted Babies R Us Canada, who say they cannot ship to the US. I've heard that Canadian border guards may even seize US car seats -- how are we supposed to deal with this dilemma if no one will ship the seats to the US?

No convertible seats for sale in the US are legal for use in Canada. Any seat which is sold in Canada is required to have the National Safety Mark (NSM) that indicates it has been certified to Canadian standards, and there are not currently any seats being made in the US which are certified for use in Canada just because our standards have a few parts to them that are very different than the US standards.

I would wait to decide on what type of seats to get for your vehicle until you are close to moving your twins out of their seats just because different kids grow at different rates and what you pick for a seat now may not be the seat you'd choose once the twins are actually ready to move in to them. When the time comes just buy them at a Canadian store and they'll be legal for use.

Hope this helps.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I've heard that Canadian border guards may even seize US car seats -- how are we supposed to deal with this dilemma if no one will ship the seats to the US?

You are unlikely to have your seats seized at the border if your vehicle has US plates. Technically visitors to Ontario are only exempt from booster laws in a vehicle with non-Ontario plates, but given that you're immigrating and will (presumably) be driving a car plated and insured in the US I would be very surprised if you have a problem. If questioned indicate that you are aware of the law and you have xyz seat picked out and intend to purchase that day or the next day or whatever. It would have to be a very grumpy CBSA guard to give you grief for that.

Seats being seized typically are US seats in Canadian-plated cars, for which there is no legal provision. Good luck with your move!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
When moving between US/Canada, you will have three months once you are living here to have your vehicle/carseats conform to Canadian standards. Those three months will give you time to research/buy Canadian convertible seats. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC