Pink Maestro?

rachel1496

I feel like I've probably asked this question before but maybe something new has come out. I was planning to get my daughter a new seat for Christmas. She's 2.5 years old, 37 inches and 28lbs and currently FF in a Scenera. The Scenera is about to expire so it needs to be replaced in the next few months. It's the pink flowery one and she's really attached to it so I'd love to replace it with something cute and girly but I can't find anything in Canada. Her brother is in a Maestro and the few times she's been in it she fits well and can climb in and out easily so that would be the ideal if I can find a cute one. We don't own a car, she really only rides once a week or so with my mom and I can't justify spending the money on a Nautilus, especially when the RF feature would go completely unused. I found the AO 3 in 1 on Walmart.ca, it's not horribly expensive but I thought I remembered something about that seat not making a great booster for tall or long torsoed kids, is that still the case?

What would you recommend? I'll just get her they grey Maestro if I have to but I'd kind of like her to be at least a bit excited if she's opening it on Christmas morning.

ADS

featherhead

I feel like I've probably asked this question before but maybe something new has come out. I was planning to get my daughter a new seat for Christmas. She's 2.5 years old, 37 inches and 28lbs and currently FF in a Scenera. The Scenera is about to expire so it needs to be replaced in the next few months. It's the pink flowery one and she's really attached to it so I'd love to replace it with something cute and girly but I can't find anything in Canada. Her brother is in a Maestro and the few times she's been in it she fits well and can climb in and out easily so that would be the ideal if I can find a cute one. We don't own a car, she really only rides once a week or so with my mom and I can't justify spending the money on a Nautilus, especially when the RF feature would go completely unused. I found the AO 3 in 1 on Walmart.ca, it's not horribly expensive but I thought I remembered something about that seat not making a great booster for tall or long torsoed kids, is that still the case?

What would you recommend? I'll just get her they grey Maestro if I have to but I'd kind of like her to be at least a bit excited if she's opening it on Christmas morning.

The Nautilus does not rear-face. And the AO makes a terrible booster for 99.9% of kids. Is there a reason you don't want her rear-facing? She's not overly large, so should fit rear-facing.

rachel1496

Sorry, confused the MyRide and the Nauti for a second. I don't know how well she'd do with RF again at this point, we turned her when she turned 2. From about 15 months to 2 it was a kicking, screaming disaster just to get her in the seat in the first place and then blood curdling screaming the entire time she was in it.

So the AO is out then. Back to the drawing board.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Would red piping be close enough to pink? I don't think I've seen a pink cover on a Canadian seat. :(

The doodle cover that walmart carries has little swirls on it that look like doodles in the white part of the pattern. Maybe that could be talked up to be girly?

The Nautilus is a pretty heavy seat to be installing weekly - unless you just leave the seats installed in your mom's car? The ability to use it as a backless booster after you're done with the highback booster portion does give it a bonus point, so if the pink is important, that may be what you end up doing.

I think most kids aren't going to be excited to open a carseat even if it's flowery. Maybe buy her a new doll and buckle it inside the carseat and she'll be excited about the doll and won't think to comment on the carseat. :love:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Good call Angie! The 40lb weight limit won't be a problem for OP's daughter. I was thinking I'd seen a pink and black seat but thought I was thinking of a US seat.

Would sure be nice if they made more exciting covers for kids.

featherhead

Sorry, confused the MyRide and the Nauti for a second. I don't know how well she'd do with RF again at this point, we turned her when she turned 2. From about 15 months to 2 it was a kicking, screaming disaster just to get her in the seat in the first place and then blood curdling screaming the entire time she was in it.

So the AO is out then. Back to the drawing board.

I see. I never had that problem with my kiddos, but our vehicle situation did cause me to turn dd2 forward-facing at about 2 1/2. I would have preferred her rear-facing, but it just wouldn't work at the time.

rachel1496

Thank you Angie! I knew there had to be something out there. I've been trying to sell her on the grey one, talking about how we could get a big kid seat like her brothers and her answer is always "No thank you. Flower seat, please".

If she grows the way he has the 40lb limit won't be an issue. He's 33lbs and 39" at 4.5, we've got a long way to go in the harness still.

rachel1496

Secondary question, the seats stay in my mom's car 95% of the time and on the odd occasion she has my sister's kids with her. Would the Secure Kid work as a booster for my 7 year old, 49" niece? I know the Maestro works for my nephew. She usually just grabs the boosters from my sister's car but it would be nice if this seat could do double duty.

canadiangie

I'm going to guess no, but it depends on her torso height.

Also, techically the straps need to be removed for booster mode, and you would need to clarify what Evenflo is allowing in terms of UAS and tether strap use during booster mode.

Basically I think a Harmony backless for $20 would be much easier for you niece versus messing wig the Secure Kid 100. :)

canadiangie

By the way, I think the pattern name might be Olivia, and if you google that you get a much better idea of the shade of pink. I think it's quite *pink* and not nearly as dark as the pic on the Cabadian Tire link.

Apologies for typos. On my phone.

LittlePeanut

Also, I do believe the Scenera you have, if it's expiring soon, will generally expire in December following its 6th birthday. So you likely have one expiring THIS December or you have another year before needing to replace it. It should be stamped on the bottom of the seat. If you have a year, obviously you can choose to replace it now but if you wait, you may find better deals that will come out and even different seats that may be introduced on the Canadian market before the end of next year.

rachel1496

Also, I do believe the Scenera you have, if it's expiring soon, will generally expire in December following its 6th birthday. So you likely have one expiring THIS December or you have another year before needing to replace it. It should be stamped on the bottom of the seat. If you have a year, obviously you can choose to replace it now but if you wait, you may find better deals that will come out and even different seats that may be introduced on the Canadian market before the end of next year.

Is it December? The stamp on the bottom says Do not use after 2013 but it didn't tell me when in 2013 it expired.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC