News Foonf weight limit in Canada

tiggercat

For anyone who is considering the Foonf in Canada, we are now being told that is will only allow rearfacing to 40lb for Canadian models. I know they are being advertised as RF to 50, so I figured I'd post here as well as at the end of the really long Foonf thread.

Edited, apparently i can't attach my screenshot again, I asked for clarification after hearing a discrepancy at a baby show this weekend, so it is on their facebook page.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

smackeen

Too bad they they could not go the current max 45lb limit that we have in Canada. Or recertify at the 50lbs.

Attachments

• clek.jpg
    clek.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

tiggercat

smackeen said:
Too bad they they could not go the max 45lb limit that we have in Canada.

What do you mean the max 45lb limit? They could certify to 50lb RF in Canada if they wanted and the seat passed...

smackeen

What do you mean the max 45lb limit? They could certify to 50lb RF in Canada if they wanted and the seat passed...

Meant that is the highest weight limit at the moment.

So at that price tag and lower weight (and the wait), they may loose out on sales.

tiggercat

smackeen said:
Meant that is the highest weight limit at the moment.

So at that price tag and lower weight (and the wait), they may loose out on sales.

Ah I see. Yes, I agree it loses it's "magic" with a lower limit.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Interesting. I wonder why?

I'd email them but I'm sure with all the stress they're under trying to get the seat released that one more question is the last thing they need...

Pixelated

I don't understand how they're just discovering this now, with regards to the testing procedure with the 3yo dummy and the 6yo dummy.

By that rationale, the 6yo dummy must fit in a Radian, and a Peg. Does it?

Here's the text of what tiggercat screen shot above:

Thank you for all your questions and comments. Our seats were designed for Rear-Facing best practice, which is to rear-face until the child turns 4. The 99.7% child is under 4 is under 43", which coincides with the size of the anthropomorphic test dummy (ATD) that is used for testing. In Canada, the regulation states that if the height and weight on your product exceeds 110cm (43") or 18.1kg (40lb), you must certify your seats with a 6YO ATD. The 6YO is too tall for our seat in Rear-Facing mode given the required Canadian compliance testing. In the US, you are not constrained by the height of the 6YO ATD and can test for a heavier child.

I hope this helps clarify the weight-limits for you. If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me at Samantha@clekinc.ca or 1-866-656-2462.

snowbird25ca

The explanation on Facebook makes sense, though I find myself bothered that our regulations require interpretation to that kind of degree.

Here's a copy and paste from their Facebook page:

Thank you for all your questions and comments. Our seats were designed for Rear-Facing best practice, which is to rear-face until the child turns 4. The 99.7% child is under 4 is under 43", which coincides with the size of the anthropomorphic test dummy (ATD) that is used for testing. In Canada, the regulation states that if the height and weight on your product exceeds 110cm (43") or 18.1kg (40lb), you must certify your seats with a 6YO ATD. The 6YO is too tall for our seat in Rear-Facing mode given the required Canadian compliance testing. In the US, you are not constrained by the height of the 6YO ATD and can test for a heavier child.

I hope this helps clarify the weight-limits for you. If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me at Samantha@clekinc.ca or 1-866-656-2462.

When asked why the seat was initially advertised at 45lbs, the following response was provided:

Hi (name removed,) We recently received an interpretation of the regulation from Transport Canada.

(And I find myself questioning what dummy is being used by Diono and Peg? Is this interpretation something that is going to impact them in the future? Interpretations to me seem to imply that it could change again down the road if someone interprets it slightly differently in the future? Or am I being pessimistic?)

snowbird25ca

LOL - Jen and I totally cross-posted and asked the exact same question.

I'm guessing it comes down to the need for "interpretation" of the regulation... I don't know what the exact wording is, but I'm guessing the explanation was given in language that everyone can understand while the regulation itself is likely quite legalese and required interpretation to know how the government planned to enforce it at a compliance level...

canadiangie

I think the vast majority of families out there will be unphased by the 40lb rf limit. It will get children to 2 years old, which is what most families are aiming towards if they're interested in rf'ing past the legal minimums.

However, a 40lb rf'ing limit won't work for me, because I go to about age 4 with my kiddos, and I've got a just turned 2 year old who is hovering right around 32lbs now. I can't spend $500 on a seat that may not 'get me there' in the end...

So, it's looking like the RXT is staying put. And many moons ago I declared the Canadian Peg infant/child (convertible) the poor mans Foonf :p, and hoped it would be as good as it seemed to sound when announced, and so I will take a closer look at it in the next few days. Not that I need a new seat of course. :eek:

Suddenly Diono and Peg are looking like spankin' deals. Only $350 :rolleyes: and rf's to 45lbs. Sign me up..

When I take on younger kiddos down the road, this seat is now off the list. I have no problem paying a little more for RF longevity but if I can get a seat for $250.00-$300.00 less, (if the Foonf is still priced at $449.99) with a 40 lb RF limit then I will take the savings. :eek:

There is very little to justify that price tag in my mind now. The seat has lots of wonderful features, yes, but not about $500 worth after tax. :duck:

snowbird25ca

In the seat's defense, lol - ff'ing it does have innovative features. Everyone has been so focused on the rf'ing weight limit that the seat hasn't gotten as much mention for the safety features that are there for the ff'ing kids. I think the seat is great as a rf'ing seat, but has some amazing things in it as a ff'ing seat. If I was actually needing a seat, I'd be looking at it as a long term seat - not just a rf'ing seat.

The REACT technology in the seat is truly innovative and combine that with some of the other things that are unique, and I think even with a 40lb rf'ing weight limit it still has a lot of features that set it apart from others...

For people who are already looking at a $400 seat, another $50 really isn't much. :shrug-shoulders:

I understand not choosing it if it's not a high enough weight limit for how long a person wants to rf their own kids, but for most people, I still think there are a lot of "extras" that you get with the seat.

Then again, I fell in love with the company when I met the owner and he told me that they make a great and safe seat, but he recognizes it's not going to be the best seat for every family. I think more companies should operate like that, because realistically, no seat is right for every family...

careynj

I was disappointed when I found out about the lower rear facing limit, but my biggest issue with it I think is the rigid UAS, I just really don't see the sense given the weight limit changes that are going to be made. And the tone of the guy at BabyTime when he said, "well I guess you could switch to seatbelt" rubbed me the wrong way, like it was the lesser option. I don't love it as much having seen it now, it's cool but I don't think I will spring for one. My niece seemed to like it okay and it looked like it would have decent legroom. She's 2 and RFs in an R100 and RXT.

snowbird25ca said:
In the seat's defense, lol - ff'ing it does have innovative features. Everyone has been so focused on the rf'ing weight limit that the seat hasn't gotten as much mention for the safety features that are there for the ff'ing kids. I think the seat is great as a rf'ing seat, but has some amazing things in it as a ff'ing seat. If I was actually needing a seat, I'd be looking at it as a long term seat - not just a rf'ing seat.

The REACT technology in the seat is truly innovative and combine that with some of the other things that are unique, and I think even with a 40lb rf'ing weight limit it still has a lot of features that set it apart from others...

For people who are already looking at a $400 seat, another $50 really isn't much. :shrug-shoulders:

I understand not choosing it if it's not a high enough weight limit for how long a person wants to rf their own kids, but for most people, I still think there are a lot of "extras" that you get with the seat.

Then again, I fell in love with the company when I met the owner and he told me that they make a great and safe seat, but he recognizes it's not going to be the best seat for every family. I think more companies should operate like that, because realistically, no seat is right for every family...

I completely agree. That's a great way to word it!

The REACT system is extremely innovative, and very insightful. I love the fact that they're focusing on the safety of the seat as a whole, and not just in one (RF/FF) seating direction.

I still don't think i'd be inclined to spend that much on a seat for how long it would likely last FF, but it's a crazy-cool seat nonetheless!

biddyk8

Yep the crumble zones and stuff are all really cool, and I would still love to play with the seat but for the short fat kid my dd is likely to be I prefer the peg. But If I had was likely to be tall and skinny I'd go foonf. The technology is revolutionary and I think clek will be at the forefront for carseat progress and innovations for a few years.

And hopefully they will learn from advertising and pre-saling too early

snowbird25ca

Yep the crumble zones and stuff are all really cool, and I would still love to play with the seat but for the short fat kid my dd is likely to be I prefer the peg. But If I had was likely to be tall and skinny I'd go foonf. The technology is revolutionary and I think clek will be at the forefront for carseat progress and innovations for a few years.

And hopefully they will learn from advertising and pre-saling too early

I'd like to think the entire carseat world has learned from this one. I think the last time we had this much knowledge of a seat ahead of time was the Recaro infant/child seats and in the end they didn't ever get tested to Canadian standards (or else didn't pass.. who knows...)

I love the public consultation that Clek has done. Even if it didn't get released exactly when they expected it to and they hit bumps along the way, the consultation that has gone in to tweaking the seat is very impressive.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC