News Foonf weight limit in Canada

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
??

No forum option on the FB app.

Figures. They are trying to bury it. Very similar to Diono deleting FB posts.
But you can go the web site on your smartphone, which will take you to the mobile version, that looks virtually the same as the app, except when you click on those lines at the top left, at the very bottom of the screen that comes up is a link to the Desktop version of the web site. From there, you can go to Clek's page and see the forum button and view the chat.

I don't believe they are trying to bury it. It's a shortcoming of the Facebook app and mobile web site that it doesn't allow full functionality of other plugins on Facebook's web site. Clek just happens to be using one of those options that Facebook doesn't support on their mobile platforms. I've got a ton of beefs with Facebook's app/mobile web site, THAT could be an entire thread. :ROTFLMAO:

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
??

No forum option on the FB app.

Figures. They are trying to bury it. Very similar to Diono deleting FB posts.

I will say that I'm happy the family I was working with who were waiting for the Foonf gave up and got a Blvd (which they are happy with). I would have been horribly embarrassed

Burying it would be deleting all messages referring to it. Nothing wrong with them trying to organize things to make it easy for people to find the things that they have questions about and want information on. I'd much rather go to the forum app, read about a specific topic, than to scroll through the many many comments that Clek gets on their wall every day and try to read all of the comments to the comments and figure out what applies to me.

If you ask me, they are trying to create an open dialog in a way that people can readily check in and read rather than leaving it in a hidden place where some people may not even notice.

As for being horribly embarrassed over what seat a family gets in the end, that seems a bit like an over-reaction to me. Technicians aren't supposed to be choosing seats for parents in the first place and families are responsible for following up with a company if they're not sure if a seat will be available for when they need it. A seat being released with a different weight limit than initially advertised has happened many times before. It's not like that's a matter for personal embarrassment either. :shrug-shoulders:

bubbaray

snowbird25ca said:
As for being horribly embarrassed over what seat a family gets in the end, that seems a bit like an over-reaction to me. Technicians aren't supposed to be choosing seats for parents in the first place and families are responsible for following up with a company if they're not sure if a seat will be available for when they need it. A seat being released with a different weight limit than initially advertised has happened many times before. It's not like that's a matter for personal embarrassment either. :shrug-shoulders:

Ok, really? Did I say I was choosing a seat for them? No. It was no secret here that I was working with a family who Were very interested in the Foonf for ERF,,about which we had had many discussions about why ERF, what seats might be a good choice, etc. I had asked ?s here and to Clek re how it might fit in their vehicle. They were willing to wait (& wait) if it would fit. Even though their child hated his infant seat and they were eager to move him to stop the screaming

My embarrassment would have been in that context. I never said I chose the seat for them. And I would have been embarrassed if they had spent $500 on a seat that they couldn't use for as long as it was advertised for initially.

I stand by my comments. I think this whole Foonf release, multiple delays and change to the weight limit of a VERY expensive seat has been poorly handled.

I do not I understand why people here are defending the company. If it were Diono or Britax, there would have been a huge pile-on. I assume that it must be because Clek has formed personal relationships with techs. Pretty smart move, as it turns out

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
bubbaray said:
The link they posted does not work from my iPhone or iPad.

Are you just redirected to the mobile web site? If so, use the method I explained above. You can even skip most of my steps, just do the one bag gets you to the desktop site, then use their link.

If you are being redirected to the mobile site when you click their link then it is a Facebook issue. It should not redirect you when you're clicking a link that takes you to a non-mobile web site feature. Nor should it redirect you to be mobile version on an iPad.

Not trying to push you to go to the site, just trying to help you out *if* you had wanted/needed to participate in the conversation. The techy side of me won't ignore people in technical distress due to bad Facebook programming! ;)

--Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
bubbaray said:
I'm getting a FB error.

If you want help, PM me a screenshot of the issue and let me know what steps you did prior to the error occurring. Also let me know if going to the Facebook website on your phone and iPad redirects you to the mobile version. Also let me know if you tried going to the desktop version like I suggested. And let me know if the exact same thing is happening both on iPhone and iPad. Oh, and are you using mobile Safari or some other browser?

And if you don't want to resolve this, that's cool too. :cool:

(Uh, that's supposed to be cool guy face, don't know why he is smirking)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Shanora said:
Someone please post the link here. I have no interest in searching their wall for the link.

Are you using a mobile device? If you follow the instructions I posted above, you don't need a link. Basically go to mobile site, use link to switch to desktop site, then click on forums.

If you're not on a mobile device, just go to their Facebook page and click on the forums link.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My embarrassment would have been in that context. I never said I chose the seat for them. And I would have been embarrassed if they had spent $500 on a seat that they couldn't use for as long as it was advertised for initially.

I do not I understand why people here are defending the company. If it were Diono or Britax, there would have been a huge pile-on. I assume that it must be because Clek has formed personal relationships with techs. Pretty smart move, as it turns out

Diono and Britax have both had their turn at the whipping post and in being defended. I tend to look at the facts and talk to the company (when possible,) before passing judgment.

Looking back, the times when I've been on the side criticizing companies, it has been almost exclusively when they haven't been up front or haven't been willing to even discuss.

We've had other seats come in to Canada with lower than advertised weight limits before. Maybe they weren't a $450 seat, but still, we've seen websites continue to advertise the incorrect rf'ing weight limit for months after the seat is in stock.

I guess my surprise at this whole thing is that a) Clek didn't choose TC's interpretation. b) It's still a 40lb rf'ing weight limit which is more than the vast majority of families will ever use. c) they keep getting compared to Diono, but I have never gotten crash test results and information from Diono in the way that Clek has freely given them. (That being said I do have a good professional relationship with Diono and don't feel that they deserve half of the beating up that they get on the forum either - and they give more information on crash test results than what most of the other companies give, so I'm not criticizing them, only mentioning them because they seem to be the company Clek keeps getting compared to.)

I still don't think a tech should feel embarassed for presenting options and leaving a parent to choose what is best. Those of us who have been around the block a few times for new seat releases know that pre-released spec's sometimes change. Maybe that's why there is such a dichotomy in how upset some people are vs. others.

Nobody is "winning" on either side of things here. The truth is, Clek has suffered for something that in the weight limit regard, isn't their fault - and people have passed judgment on them under the assumption that other companies must be passing rebound with the 6yr old dummy. People are assuming that because others are certifying above 40lbs that others are passing rebound testing with the 6yr old. And in the end, we don't know that. We're talking about a clarification from TC that is a week old. And if Peg and Diono aren't using the 6yr old in their rebound testing, my question becomes, are they going to just lower the height and weight limit rf'ing - or are they going to appeal to TC and hope they can get a different interpretation?

If they are only testing with the 3yr old for rebound, what would be the *safer* thing for them to do - appeal, and if they convince TC to see things differently, then leave the height and weight limits up even *if* they couldn't pass with the seated height of the 6yr old? Or just lower the height and weight limits and upset people?

Which would most people rather? A lower weight limit upon clarification that the 6yr old must pass rebound? Or an appeal and keeping of the higher weight and height even if it meant that it didn't pass rebound at the higher heights?

Chances are we're not going to get the answers to these questions from other companies. We're lucky to have gotten them in this case, and that is why I defend Clek. I have seen seats show up on the store shelf with a lower weight limit despite customer service reps telling people on the phone just days before that the weight limit was higher than what it actually is. A reduction to 40lbs isn't something that is going to impact the majority of people. (I will admit that I would be really upset if it was 30lbs instead of 40 though. 40lbs is great, 30lbs is inadequate for the average family.)

I still don't see how giving a parent choices reflects badly on an individual tech. Being disappointed in the lower weight limit I understand, but embarrassment is really just a reaction I don't understand. I do my best to help parents choose a seat that they'll be happy with based on the information I have at the time. If they end up not liking it - I don't see that as a personal reflection. I've had seats of my own that I loved when I purchased and didn't like after I'd used them a bit. The only time I can foresee true embarrassment, would be if I promised somebody a seat would fit in their vehicle, and then the seat was incompatible. I would find that embarrassing... but that's really quite different.

If you told somebody that if they bought a Britax they were getting a 40lb rf'ing weight limit, and then without anyone knowing it Britax had made a running change that dropped the weight limit to 35lbs, would that be embarrassing? It would be frustrating and I'd certainly tell the family to complain to the manufacturer - especially if the seat was already purchased and not-returnable and the family had a heavier baby. But I fail to see how a company's decisions reflect on you either personally or professionally in a way that would cause embarrassment.

I understand people who are upset and disappointed because they want/need that extra rf'ing weight limit. I understand people who are going to choose another seat because their child *needs* a new seat or because they're simply tired of waiting. And I'm sure that some of the frustration is coming not from just any single event, but the combination of all of them. I just don't think the company itself deserves to be attacked or blacklisted and I would encourage anyone with concerns to call and talk to Clek about your concerns. I think those who do that will realize the differences in the company itself.

Now I'm curious how everyone will react if we do see a silent change to the rf'ing weight limits on the Diono seats and the Peg and it just suddenly shows up in stores with a 40lb rf'ing weight limit. If that happens, the public knowledge we have now of the Foonf prior to it being available for purchase might suddenly seem impressive... But ultimately it would still come down to parents needing to check the height and weight limits on the seats they're purchasing. When we get new seats in at work - even when the model name is identical, the first thing I check is the weight limits. Because small changes that the average person might not notice really do happen that often. Thankfully in recent years, the weight change is usually up and not down. :shrug-shoulders:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC