Three carseats across and seats all touching tightly- Is that safe?

Hazelnut

So we have our marathon ff in the middle, a radian ff (perhaps we need two of these things...) on the side, and a snugride rf on the other side in our Subaru Forester '04.

We're concerned that the snugride doesn't ride up (in case of an accident) b/c it's squeezed tightly next to the marathon which is so wide.

We can't install it next to the radian b/c supposedly the radian doesn't install well in the middle of subaru, but we'll try that next if we have to. Installing the snugride with the belt might give more room but we were really having trouble with that.

Any input? Does the snugride need the space next to it to fuction properly in case of an accident? We haven't seen a tech yet but plan to.

Tia.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Three seats across, any three seats, can touch as long as they are not using another seat to make them tight. If they are secure independently of one another then that's all right.

For instance, I have a Radian and a Wizard next to one another right now. I put the Radian in first, get a solid install, and then put the Wizard in next to it. It's also secure. I've had both in there without the other, and so the Wizard overlapping onto the Radian doesn't bother me and isn't unsafe because I know that Radian is in well on its own. If the Radian was loose and then I put the Wizard in and that made it tight, that would be unsafe. So if your seats are simply touching, and not pressed against one another and using another for security, then they're ok.

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Even if it's RFing. If it's not shoved against the seat it should rebound. Remember, your body cannot reproduce crash forces. If the seats are each independently installed and simply touching then they should work just fine in a collision.

Wendy

Hazelnut

Thank you. :)

eta: okay wait, by shoved against the seat, do you mean as long as it's not secured that way? We thought the way the marathon bows out at the top would prevent it from rebounding. But they are installed securely independently.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC