Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Three carseats across and seats all touching tightly- Is that safe?

So we have our marathon ff in the middle, a radian ff (perhaps we need two of these things...) on the side, and a snugride rf on the other side in our Subaru Forester '04.

We're concerned that the snugride doesn't ride up (in case of an accident) b/c it's squeezed tightly next to the marathon which is so wide.

We can't install it next to the radian b/c supposedly the radian doesn't install well in the middle of subaru, but we'll try that next if we have to. Installing the snugride with the belt might give more room but we were really having trouble with that.

Any input? Does the snugride need the space next to it to fuction properly in case of an accident? We haven't seen a tech yet but plan to.

Tia.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Three carseats across and seats all touching tightly- Is that safe?

Three seats across, any three seats, can touch as long as they are not using another seat to make them tight. If they are secure independently of one another then that's all right.

For instance, I have a Radian and a Wizard next to one another right now. I put the Radian in first, get a solid install, and then put the Wizard in next to it. It's also secure. I've had both in there without the other, and so the Wizard overlapping onto the Radian doesn't bother me and isn't unsafe because I know that Radian is in well on its own. If the Radian was loose and then I put the Wizard in and that made it tight, that would be unsafe. So if your seats are simply touching, and not pressed against one another and using another for security, then they're ok.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon

Carseat Crazy

Even if it's rf? Doesn't it have to ride up in an accident?

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Even if it's RFing. If it's not shoved against the seat it should rebound. Remember, your body cannot reproduce crash forces. If the seats are each independently installed and simply touching then they should work just fine in a collision.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon

Carseat Crazy

Thank you.

eta: okay wait, by shoved against the seat, do you mean as long as it's not secured that way? We thought the way the marathon bows out at the top would prevent it from rebounding. But they are installed securely independently.