Vent Wrong in so many ways... FF bucket seat.

dogmelissa

Today I stopped at the library to pick up a couple books. Didn't notice if there was a car next to me when I went in.

Got my books, headed back to the car, and noticed the car parked next to me had 2 child seats in the back. I literally did a double take: they had a bucket seat FF!!!!! No top tether (how could they?), the handle looked like it was in a perfect position for the poor child to crack their head on in a crash, and I honestly have no idea how they even attached it to the seat. I stood there, kinda in shock, wondering if I should find some paper & leave a note, but I really couldn't think of anything that would have been a "gentle suggestion" and not an acusation of child abuse. (The other seat at least appeared to be a "proper" FF seat but I didn't really look too close at it's install.)

I truly couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Some people really have no idea, do they?

I'm not religious, but I sure hope that those people pray for safe driving everytime they go.

/Vent

Melissa

ADS
It's heartbreaking to see. Especially when you are very informed on the topic.

Although we'd all like to run up and start giving them information, it is, as you said, difficult to put into kind words what to say.

The best thing you can do if you plan to act upon a situation like that by leaving a note is to avoid confronting whomever it may be (that could become a dangerous situation, as you don't know how that person may react) and to simply leave your note with something like "Car seat laws are constantly changing, here's a number to get updated information and advice, if you wish."

We've all seen our fair share of those types of situations, and it's hard to forget some of them. I try to remember that I can only help those who wish to be helped. I can't enforce law, so if someone would like my help I'm happy to oblige, but if they have no interest, I can do nothing further then to call the local non-emergency line to report the sighting, and hope that the police can make the issue seem more important to them. Or leave a note with contact numbers for advice and instruction.

Good vent :)

manitobamimi

I've seen that before, quite a few times actually, as well as people using booster seats for the table as car booster seats. Check out Snowbound: the jim and jennifer stolpa story on Youtube. Entire movie with the 4 month old baby in a an infant bucket forward facing.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I used to see forward-facing infant seats at least once a month in Surrey, and that's with purposely trying *not* to look in cars in that area...

-Nicole.

aschofield

Someone I know had his month-old baby in a FF bucket seat. He knew he shouldn't and even made a stupid comment about "no backwards facing for my baby" I just cringed and kept my mouth shut (he wouldn't have listened to anything I said about it anyway). Thankfully the baby's mother is a little more conscientious about that sort of thing.

FrauDrA

How can a bucket even be installed FF? Or is it just a loose projectile?

When we flew to Australia, we had our youngest in his SS1, and in both directions the AC flight attendants asked us to turn it FF.... Sheesh. (Actually, there was an argument with the in-charge attendant on the return flight, about the use of the carseat, but that's another story...)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
How can a bucket even be installed FF? Or is it just a loose projectile?

When we flew to Australia, we had our youngest in his SS1, and in both directions the AC flight attendants asked us to turn it FF.... Sheesh. (Actually, there was an argument with the in-charge attendant on the return flight, about the use of the carseat, but that's another story...)

They essentially stand the bucket up on the bottom of the leg area, and wrap the seatbelt around the front of it - or that's what I've seen anyways.

The majority of ff'ing infant seats that I've seen have been misused most likely due to language barriers or cultural reasons. Not that that makes it any better, but sometimes it truly is comprehension vs. someone trying to kill their child. I'm guessing the remainder don't understand that that carseat is going to be a projectile in a collision that is just as likely to kill or injure them as the child in the carseat. :(

My most memorable ff'ing infant seat was being used by a 2.5yr old. I didn't see them on arrival so I have no clue as to how they were even getting the straps around the child. (It was a 22lb snugride, so no way the harness would've been able to be done up.)

It's sad, but it happens.

Nimommyof2

I saw that once at superstore(I'm in the same city as you) They saw me load my dd in rf though and were discussing it, i backed out than came back to say something, they were quite thankful. I think honeslty with the lack of education on carseats and the amount of people who don't really speak English in this city I can see why they don't know what to do:( I really wish they had more info on carseats and there was a bigger push on how to use them etc..

FrauDrA

I would love to have info provided at the university's daycares/preschool, I see so many errors - some egregious, like the kid in an FF seat with the harness used as a 3-point, with arms/shoulders unsecured! - and I'm sure part of it is language and part just not paying attention. Same for at my other kid's school - 90% ESL rate, so lots of families completely unaware of local laws and standards.

LittlePeanut

Any chance it was being transported and not actually ever being used for a child like that? I've seen seats chucked in the back of cars, just to get them somewhere else to be installed properly. Hopefully that's the case here.

I think we all have horror stories and mine is no different. A couple Summers ago at a roadside check, a woman was stopped with a large 3 year old FF in an infant bucket being used as a booster. It was shocking to see and while there were no language barriers, the driver truly did not know any better.

polina20

Did you see an actual child seating in it? Do you think it's possible that the seat was installed RF when baby was in it, and then they went to the library and uninstalled the seat because it's easier to get the baby out? I leave my bucket seat sideways in empty car. Can't wait for post like that, omg sidefacing install child abusers.

polina20 said:
Did you see an actual child seating in it? Do you think it's possible that the seat was installed RF when baby was in it, and then they went to the library and uninstalled the seat because it's easier to get the baby out? I leave my bucket seat sideways in empty car. Can't wait for post like that, omg sidefacing install child abusers.

I'm not sure, obviously because i'm not OP, but it's not uncommon to see car seat abuse as she described. I like to pretend its as you said it, just uninstalled at the moment, and not actually ridden in like that. :thumbsdown:

FrauDrA

happiness-and-balance said:
I'm not sure, obviously because i'm not OP, but it's not uncommon to see car seat abuse as she described. I like to pretend its as you said it, just uninstalled at the moment, and not actually ridden in like that. :thumbsdown:

In the spring, we bought a patio set. (Bear with me.) We knew it would fit in our car with the back seats folded, so drove to the store as a family, and after shopping I uninstalled the carseats, we loaded up the car, my husband drove home with the patio furniture and carseats, and I took transit home with the kids. The thing is, one of the carseats, the Boulevard, was propped up in the front passenger seat. Even at the time, I knew it *looked* wrong, and I half-hoped my husband would get pulled over just so he could explain that we never use the seat like that/it wasn't installed for use :)

That said, the only time I notice carseat misuse is when there is a child in the seat and it is in a car. (Or on a stroller, but that's another issue...)

Attachments

• image-3571741452.jpg
    image-3571741452.jpg
    459.4 KB · Views: 29

robbertbobbert

Even at the time, I knew it *looked* wrong, and I half-hoped my husband would get pulled over just so he could explain that we never use the seat like that/it wasn't installed for use :))

A few weeks ago I had to put my CCO FF in my car so my dad could drive it for a day (he needs the seat ALL the way back), but didn't want to take the seats out completely. There weren't going to be any kids in the car so I just flipped it around. I was half hoping somebody would leave a note on the car about how pretty much anybody who can fit FF in a CCO would rearface, but no luck.

Brianna

I once put a FF MyRide (unoccupied, of course) in the front passenger's seat of my car so that I could transport a toddler bed in my back seat without taking it apart.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC