Diono Radian good as booster?

terih

Hello!

I was in a car accident this morning, and I believe I need to replace my car seats (I thought the accident passed all of NHTSA requirements for minor accident, but as the day passes I've noticed that I'm starting to get a sore back/neck so thinking that counts as an injury?).

Anyway, right now I have 2 Radian XTSLs in my car. My almost 4 yo DD is FF and my 21 month old DS is RF.

As I was looking at car seats I realized the Diono Radians can RF, FF, and booster. I was already planning on getting DD a combo seat, and realized if I got DS a Radian he could still RF and we maybe wouldn't need to buy him another seat in the future. I've done a few searches on here though, and it seems as though the Radians might not be great for using as a booster? I saw the review of the RXT where there was an issue with the belt tightening, but couldn't tell if that applied to the 100/120 as well?

I might still get DS a Radian regardless and just not use it as a booster when the time comes, but I was thinking of getting DD one as well, so I thought I'd better check and make sure.

Our vehicles are a 2007 Toyota RAV4 and a 2006 GMC Envoy, if that matters!

Thanks!

ADS

Phineasmama

No, the Radian does not make a good booster. If your older child is already forward facing though, you might want to consider buying a forward facing combo seat instead of a convertible. like a Britax Frontier 85, Graco Nautilus or Argos, Recaro Prosport, Evenflo SecureKid, etc.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Radians make a good fitting booster, but since they're non adjustable, they make a good fitting booster for about 0.4 seconds as the child grows into it, then out of it quickly.

The Radians also require replacement after *any* crash. They don't follow NHTSA's criteria.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC