Need help communicating with school about carseats

Kellyr2

So, Thursday was the first day of school, and I remembered that I'd really like to somehow discuss car safety with the principal.
We typically walk to/from school, but in the extreme cold, or rain, or when I've got errands to run, I drive. The problem I have is this - I pull up, he gets in and they shut the door, and you're expected to drive off. Now, if it's at all chilly, or raining, he has to not only remove his backpack from his back, but also his jacket, before he can even SIT, let alone buckle. So then I get funny looks from the teachers for not moving yet. Then, I have to wait for him to buckle. I always felt guilty doing it, but last year, I finally started just rolling forward past the "single file" area, so that he could buckle and others could go around me so I wasn't holding up the line. Even 2 mph in the parking lot though, I hate moving while they're unbuckled.
And this year, both big kids are in school. So it will take even longer.
So does anyone have any ideas of how I might present this to the principal? I know that on their end, their problem is that they are trying to get all of the kids out the door in a timely manner, and traffic in the area is also a huge issue. The parking lot is tiny, so the line stretches way down the road every day. It is an option to park and walk up to get them, but in the rain, that's an issue too.

What I'd like to happen, is for them to not stand there impatiently, almost pressuring you to drive off with your child unbuckled.

I was also disappointed, because last year at Open House, I saw a huge stack of brochures on carseats and boosters on the welcome table, and there were none there this year. The lack of booster usage at that school is insane.

ADS

ThreeBeans

I wouldn't worry about making nicey nicey.

Just very simply: "I realize that you want parents to drive off immediately at pick-up time. However, our car does not move until both children are properly buckled into their carseats or boosters. Period. I am sure you will respect this rule and encourage other parents to adopt the same rule."

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yeah, I'd venture to even say that they really don't want to face the liability WHEN (not if) a child is injured because they actually encouraged *illegal* not to mention unsafe & down right dumb behavior.... I just recently read something that specifically said more crash injuries happen to/from school than any other time!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC