Question Back pain while REAR facing?

MsFacetious

My sister has a 3 year old daughter (her birthday is today actually.)

She is happily rear facing the majority of the time, occasionally riding forward facing in the second vehicle.

She has started complaining about back pain while rear facing on longer trips.

I will ask if she's ever taken a longer trip forward facing... if it might be the longer trip itself and not the rear facing.

I will also suggest stopping halfway and letting her get out for a while.

Any other suggestions?

(They are in Austria, but I am looking for general causes for back pain while rear facing so not an international issue.)

For those curious about or with knowledge of the seats:
Her forward facing seat is a Britax King Plus, I am not sure on the rear facing one but I *think* it is the iZi Kid.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

ADS

Mommy!

This is probably a bit of a one in a million thing, but my four year old started complaining of pain about a week into a three week road trip in September. We
assumed it was from riding for longer periods than he was used to.

Then we stopped to clean up the road trip crumbs/food wrappers etc and found a Hot Wheels car had slipped between the seat liner/pad and the frame! :D You never know...;)

MsFacetious

This is probably a bit of a one in a million thing, but my four year old started complaining of pain about a week into a three week road trip in September. We
assumed it was from riding for longer periods than he was used to.

Then we stopped to clean up the road trip crumbs/food wrappers etc and found a Hot Wheels car had slipped between the seat liner/pad and the frame! :D You never know...;)

Now that could happen to ME certainly... the things we find under seats when we remove them... :eek:
I will certainly add it to my list of suggestions even though she is a clean freak. lol

oliviacw

I just took the cover off my toddlers seat for cleaning - no toys, but there were tons of raisins and cracker crumbs underneath the cover! Definitely worth taking off the cover to check underneath.

armyfam

I'm not sure what the reason may be but my dd complains constantly about back pain RF in her true fit but not in her radian or onside air. I'm thinking it may be a particular kid/ particular car seat incompatibility :) I can't make sense of it?
Eta- we were thinking at one point that her jeans bunched in the back and were bothering her so we started taking them off in the car or putting her into knit pants. That seemed to help a bit.

rverrone11

My DDs complain about back pain when we go on long road trips (one is FFing and one is RFing). I think it's because they are in the seat for a long time. I get back pain on long road trips as well.

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
Just before outgrowing it RFing my DD started to complain of back pain in her Triumph 65, but never complained about it in any other seat...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC